Price check on a Piper Lance?

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
There's a Lance for sale at my local airport, not currently listed but I've talked to the owner.

1977 Straight Tail Lance
4600TT
TSOH 1300
Prop 800- 3 blade prop

Paint isn't brand new but it has been repainted in recent history and is like-new.
Interior is in good condition, had probably been redone at some point but shows a little wear.
Club seating.
Garmin 530W, KX155, GTX 327 nav/com
EDM 800 engine monitor
Stormscope
2-axis autopilot

I am told there was damage history a couple of owners ago and it had a wing replaced at a Piper repair facility.

Something that usually doesn't go into a typical valuation but this airplane is based at my airport and I do know it has been flown regularly for the past several years. We also use the same mechanic and he's vouched for it being a solid airplane. So in this case a pre-buy can probably be skipped and I don't need to worry about getting it home or finding hangar space for it as it's already here, they'll just switch the billing.... so that's worth something too.

He's had it appraised and is basing his price on that. I've run vref on it, but I know that's not perfect. What's the peanut gallery think this aircraft should be worth?

Last edited:
I know of a similar plane that is on the unlisted market was looking for ~150k. Don't know if anyone has made an offer yet.

How much upgrade are you planning on it? Are you content with the 2 axis AP that comes with it?

I won’t bid though, but wing replacement won’t bother me since it has flown a bunch after that. I am biased since in my plane both wings were at some point replaced due to hitting tree, and apparently tree is stronger than wing

$200K....o_O

cause every distribution needs outlayers.....:D

Stop skewing my mean!

How much upgrade are you planning on it? Are you content with the 2 axis AP that comes with it?

I won’t bid though, but wing replacement won’t bother me since it has flown a bunch after that. I am biased since in my plane both wings were at some point replaced due to hitting tree, and apparently tree is stronger than wing

I believe with the GTX-327 it will need an ADS-B upgrade. That's the only thing I feel like it needs.

How much more do you get beyond a 2-axis autopilot or did I use the term wrong? It will hold a heading and an altitude and can be steered from the GPS or NAV inputs. I think there's also an altitude select but now I'm not sure. My current plane's autopilot is called "trim" so.... anything is a huge upgrade to me.

Stop skewing my mean!

I believe with the GTX-327 it will need an ADS-B upgrade. That's the only thing I feel like it needs.

How much more do you get beyond a 2-axis autopilot or did I use the term wrong? It will hold a heading and an altitude and can be steered from the GPS or NAV inputs. I think there's also an altitude select but now I'm not sure. My current plane's autopilot is called "trim" so.... anything is a huge upgrade to me.

The older AP s sometimes is more of a novelty.... u got to keep an eye on what George is doing ALL the time, hence my comment. I agree coming from trim, anything is huge upgrade... I have ALT hold... it does hold when it wants

Ill chime in with 90-120k. Because 1300 smoh is getting up there and is the AP an original piper altimatic? Those are analog, getting old and can cause problems with alt hold, track, etc. If its newer stec, or similar, and coupled to gps and VOR then its worth a ton more, IMO. Thats a pretty big chunk of $$$ to install.

I was just shopping up until 3 weeks ago. 3/4 timed straight tail lance should be around 90 with that history.

Avionics good (530), time not bad, I’d guess around $100K, plus or minus $10-20K. Flew ‘77s & ‘78s, good haulers.

Really hard to call the value. Need all the info on it. Market is going up though. Basic med has stimulated the used market I think. Good luck trying to pin down a Bonanza. Gone in 60 seconds is the story of the day over on BT. If it’s priced right it will move.

Back