Anyone use WingX pro 7 on android?

korben88

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Troy
I use Avare, but recently got the free military account for wingX and have been playing around with it.
One thing I can't figure out is how to do a direct to. My buddy has it on his Iphone and it is in the popup when you long press the screen, but mine doesn't.

Here's a review from a few months ago about the Android version: "The Apple version is amazing but the Android version lacks even some basic features. There is no Direct to button, no ETE or distance to next location/waypoint. If the Android version was half as good as the Apple version it would be worth it"

Droid EFB is a well tested Android aviation flight app, and compatible with a wide variety of ADS-B hardware. Works great with the NGT9000.

Here's a review from a few months ago about the Android version: "The Apple version is amazing but the Android version lacks even some basic features. There is no Direct to button, no ETE or distance to next location/waypoint. If the Android version was half as good as the Apple version it would be worth it"

WingX for Android has, unfortunately, never been any more than a promise. It's crippleware. The review @Challenged quoted is basically correct.

I was afraid that might be the case. Is the Apple version worth the Ipad purchase in your opinion?

I was afraid that might be the case. Is the Apple version worth the Ipad purchase in your opinion?
That is a very difficult question to answer. So I won't. Just some things to consider.

WingX was at one time one of the only two iPad choices. It and ForeFlight went head to head, constantly leapfrogging each other with innovations while at the same time being very different in look and feel. In recent years, though, new WingX features have slowed significantly. But many still swear by it. Still an excellent EFB.

The difference in look and feel is a kicker. The biggest example, I guess, is rubber banding - "pulling" the magenta line on the map page to add a waypoint to the flight plan. Avare does it. Most EFBs do it. WingX doesn't do it. Its alternative is pretty cool, but if you like rubber banding, you might not agree.

Given the quality of some of the Android EFBs, If you are happy with the performance of your Android tablet, i would not make the move to an iPad solely to get a commercial EFB free unless I knew I liked it. A lot.

Do you have a friend who might lend you an iPad? Doesn't have to be a pilot, just someone who will download the free trials ($1.00 for WingX) and let you play a bit. If you find one that makes it worth a move ask their support about a military discount. Some don't advertise it.

Last edited:
If you're interested in other Android alternatives, be sure to check out iFly, it's feature complete across Android, iOS and even Windows. I'm a beta tester for it and I've never seen a company that was so aggressive in looking for and then implementing user feedback on the product. There's a free trial: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=iFly.GPS&hl=en

If you're interested in other Android alternatives, be sure to check out iFly, it's feature complete across Android, iOS and even Windows. I'm a beta tester for it and I've never seen a company that was so aggressive in looking for and then implementing user feedback on the product. There's a free trial: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=iFly.GPS&hl=en
I agree. iFly is a great product and both identical and solid on all three platforms.

I agree. iFly is a great product and both identical and solid on all three platforms.

I'll give it a look, thanks.

EDBC91AE-D553-4EE9-ACBA-73A358499171.jpeg
That is a very difficult question to answer. So I won't. Just some things to consider.

WingX was at one time one of the only two iPad choices. It and ForeFlight went head to head, constantly leapfrogging each other with innovations while at the same time being very different in look and feel. In recent years, though, new WingX features have slowed significantly. But many still swear by it. Still an excellent EFB.

The difference in look and feel is a kicker. The biggest example, I guess, is rubber banding - "pulling" the magenta line on the map page to add a waypoint to the flight plan. Avare does it. Most EFBs do it. WingX doesn't do it. Its alternative is pretty cool, but if you like rubber banding, you might not agree.

Given the quality of some of the Android EFBs, If you are happy with the performance of your Android tablet, i would not make the move to an iPad solely to get a commercial EFB free unless I knew I liked it. A lot.

Do you have a friend who might lend you an iPad? Doesn't have to be a pilot, just someone who will download the free trials ($1.00 for WingX) and let you play a bit. If you find one that makes it worth a move ask their support about a military discount. Some don't advertise it.

You talking about Traca ?

View attachment 67816

You talking about Traca ?
No. Older than that. If you add a new waypoint in the route by tapping on it, WingX inserts it in the logical place in the flight plan, as though you pulled the existing line over to it, rather than automatically tacking it into the end.

When I first saw it, thought it couldn't work that well, but it does.

Back