IR to Commercial

Indiana_Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying "B"
I have had my IR for about a year now and have used it a ton.. I keep thinking of doing my Commercial next..
What is all involved in getting the Commercial when I have and am proficient with my IR?

Will it be just learning maneuvers and about the CPL itself (what is legal and not legal pay wise ect)?Also, what about the check ride? Will it be a full blown IR check ride again?

I'm in the same boat, considering commercial as well...if for no other reason than to "just keep learning".

Check out the ACS, but the Commercial single engine flight stuff is all VMC maneuvers.

Will it be a full blown IR check ride again?

No, there is nothing in the commercial that is IR related. The commercial checkride isn't difficult at all. Just a few new maneuvers to learn, and new rules that apply to a commercial license versus a PPL. Look up FAR 61.129 to see what flight experience you need, and the commercial ACS to see what maneuvers and knowledge you will be tested on.

I'm working toward mine...in the sense that I have passed the written test and am waiting for "night" to be a little earlier than 10 p.m. so I can get the night dual cross-country and night solo takeoffs and landings at a towered airport (nearest one is about an hour flight away) done, then learn the maneuvers and take the ride. My understanding is that it's more like a PPL checkride but with a few more maneuvers and higher standards, and probably a lot more fun. I put a list of the ACS standards on my phone so I can practice when I get the bug. For example:

Steep turns: 50 degree bank, 360 degree turn, altitude +/- 100', airspeed +/- 10 kts, roll out within +/- 10 degrees of specified heading

Traffic pattern: +/- 100' and +/- 10 kts

Pilotage: position within 2 nm of planned route, checkpoints within 3 min of ETA, estimate time at destination to examiner, maintain altitude +/- 100' and heading +/- 10 degrees

It’s a race to see who gets it done first!!! Solo requirements are all done just the dual left for me.

CPL is all visual flying. Maneuvers are fairly easy and fun.

Expect the Oral to be similar to the PPL with a deeper dive into the regulations, execution details and aircraft systems. Even though you don't need a complex now, expect to be able to describe landing gear and constant speed prop systems.

It’s a race to see who gets it done first!!! Solo requirements are all done just the dual left for me.

I got my IR on 8/21. Doing my CPL in a Cirrus SR20. Just started and it's tough to get the airplane and the instructor scheduled at the same time but I'm hanging in there. Already have the written done.

I got my IR on 8/21. Doing my CPL in a Cirrus SR20. Just started and it's tough to get the airplane and the instructor scheduled at the same time but I'm hanging in there. Already have the written done.

Nice...I got my IR earlier in the year. Trying to get CSEL and CMEL done this year then CFI next year. Movin' on up in the world I tell ya.

CPL is all visual flying. Maneuvers are fairly easy and fun.
And they're all about making the airplane do all the work for you. This video really demonstrates that for Lazy Eights:

Yep. Assuming you have 10 hours in a complex or technically advanced aircraft already.
That's the only thing I am missing.. I have 800+TT, 700+ PIC 600+ Cross Country, and 75+ actual IMC.. I just need to do some complex time in something fun!

So are you guys using the Jepp IR/CPL books and just focusing on the CPL stuff? I was thinking about getting the Gliem Commercial book just to get ready for the written.

Oh, and I need to hit the gym to get rid of my beer gut... lol (2nd class medical)

Just passed CPL yesterday! I can tell you it was more thorough a checkride than PPL but much less so than IR. Understand systems, pressurization (even if you never plan to use it), airspace and CPL privileges. Those were big points in my oral. Good luck all!

That's the only thing I am missing.. I have 800+TT, 700+ PIC 600+ Cross Country, and 75+ actual IMC.. I just need to do some complex time in something fun!

So are you guys using the Jepp IR/CPL books and just focusing on the CPL stuff? I was thinking about getting the Gliem Commercial book just to get ready for the written.

Oh, and I need to hit the gym to get rid of my beer gut... lol (2nd class medical)

I already took the written using the King course. I'm using the ASA Oral Exam guide to prep for the oral, but that is it.

Another point...the cross country I was given was meant to start conversations on a bunch of topics. Here was the scenario given by the DPE:

Assume you are a commercial pilot with ASEL category and class ratings and with an Instrument Airplane rating on your pilot certificate. I own a Cessna 172 and have hired you to provide pilot services along with maintenance management. I want to fly from KHLN to my ranch which has a compacted gravel 3500’ by 35’ private strip located at N44 degrees, 39.5 minutes and W112 degrees, 30.6 minutes. I need to arrive there no later than 1:00PM local time for a ranch meeting. The strip is oriented true north and south, slopes up to the south at 3 degrees with cottonwood trees about 1000 feet north of the approach end of the runway landing to the south. Prevailing winds are generally southerly at about 10 knots. I weigh 180 pounds; will have a 125 pound passenger and 15 pounds of baggage. Plan our departure from the ranch in time to get us back to Helena before dark. I expect you to brief me regarding your weather go/no go decision, flight time involved, etc. prior to the flight. The passenger has never flown in a small airplane and is a bit apprehensive about the travel.

Brings up a lot of flight planning issues, weather gathering for remote places and pilot privilege topics.

It’s a lot easier than instrument flying IMO. Get yourself to look outside again.

Another point...the cross country I was given was meant to start conversations on a bunch of topics. Here was the scenario given by the DPE:

Assume you are a commercial pilot with ASEL category and class ratings and with an Instrument Airplane rating on your pilot certificate. I own a Cessna 172 and have hired you to provide pilot services along with maintenance management. I want to fly from KHLN to my ranch which has a compacted gravel 3500’ by 35’ private strip located at N44 degrees, 39.5 minutes and W112 degrees, 30.6 minutes. I need to arrive there no later than 1:00PM local time for a ranch meeting. The strip is oriented true north and south, slopes up to the south at 3 degrees with cottonwood trees about 1000 feet north of the approach end of the runway landing to the south. Prevailing winds are generally southerly at about 10 knots. I weigh 180 pounds; will have a 125 pound passenger and 15 pounds of baggage. Plan our departure from the ranch in time to get us back to Helena before dark. I expect you to brief me regarding your weather go/no go decision, flight time involved, etc. prior to the flight. The passenger has never flown in a small airplane and is a bit apprehensive about the travel.

Brings up a lot of flight planning issues, weather gathering for remote places and pilot privilege topics.

So... How did you answer? :)

I thought the Commercial ASEL was a lot of fun. The maneuvers are certainly fun!

Nothing instrument-related about it, it's great to get to look out the window and just fly the plane again. It's even better to have a new challenge to your airmanship and push yourself to meet a higher standard. Plus, you can get paid to fly! What's not to love?

Just passed CPL yesterday! I can tell you it was more thorough a checkride than PPL but much less so than IR. Understand systems, pressurization (even if you never plan to use it), airspace and CPL privileges. Those were big points in my oral. Good luck all!

Congrats @Magnus P.IFR! Just passed mine last Wednesday.

@Indiana_Pilot @tawood Purely VFR. No instrument stuff at all. Basically a little more advanced private pilot.

And they're all about making the airplane do all the work for you. This video really demonstrates that for Lazy Eights:

@iamtheari I saw this video about a week or two before I took my commercial check ride (last Wednesday) and did it exactly like that.

Unless you’re going to fly professionally you’d be better of spending that money getting a Tailwheel, glider or doing a backcountry course.

Unless you’re going to fly professionally you’d be better of spending that money getting a Tailwheel, glider or doing a backcountry course.
I know I’ve asked you this before, but what exactly is backcountry? You are in New York. You probably cannot land further than 10 minutes from the closet Starbucks.

Now I’ve known folks flying in Australia that have virtually no services. Fuel is a challenge, and lodging, even food may be non existent.

To me THAT would be worthy of training.

I know I’ve asked you this before, but what exactly is backcountry? You are in New York. You probably cannot land further than 10 minutes from the closet Starbucks.

Now I’ve known folks flying in Australia that have virtually no services. Fuel is a challenge, and lodging, even food may be non existent.

Lol

It’s being able to operate in a off airport environment, when I land on a small river or some random clearing, if there is no human for 1000nm vs a Starbucks a 10 minuet walk away makes no difference in the actual flying, site survey, etc.

Also you have a very airline kiddie view of NY, maybe one day when you go somewhere that’s outside of the softshoed sketchy big cities in NY you might get it.

Frankly lots of flying in the Adirondacks that’s plenty “backcountry’ lots of places with no reception, no ADSB towers, no low radar coverage, no cell coverage and places you are going to have a....experience trying to walk out of, landing on a short sand bar on a river in the north country is much more challenging than a wide open arid strip in Australia or Africa, plus lots of ski flying and float flying.

It’s being able to operate in a off airport environment, when I land on a small river or some random clearing, if there is no human for 1000nm vs a Starbucks a 10 minuet walk away makes no difference in the actual flying, site survey, etc.

Also you have a very airline kiddie view of NY, maybe one day when you go somewhere that’s outside of the softshoed sketchy big cities in NY you might get it.

Frankly lots of flying in the Adirondacks that’s plenty “backcountry’ lots of places with no reception, no ADSB towers, no low radar coverage, no cell coverage and places you are going to have a....experience trying to walk out of, landing on a short sand bar on a river in the north country is much more challenging than a wide open arid strip in Australia or Africa, plus lots of ski flying and float flying.
Although admittedly I have zero experience in what you describe, I would think the Australia backcountry is more what people think of.
Not New Yourk.

I’m actually laughing!!!

Although admittedly I have zero experience in what you describe, I would think the Australia backcountry is more what people think of.
Not New Yourk.

I’m actually laughing!!!

Well the average person also thinks a airplane is ether a Cessna or a Boeing so..

Not New Yourk.

I’m actually laughing!!!

This is in New Jersey, not far from NYC.

https://www.andoverflight.com/
https://www.andoverflight.com/information_bushpilot.html

"For those with a more adventurous spirit in addition to basic tailwheel instruction, we also offer an Advanced Tailwheel/Bush Flying Course. Learn the advanced techniques that professional bush pilots use and how to utilize the edges of the airplane's performance envelope. Even if you never fly in the bush, the techniques you will learn will increase your proficiency and improve safety. You will fly our new bush equipped 180HP CubCrafters Super Cub with vortex generators and 31" Alaskan Bushwheels."

Yes!!! Backcountry traninig for the Australian wilderness!!!

You cannot beat the experience of the instructors from NYC, Newark, or the tri-state area for this type of instruction. They are the best in the world!!!

Yes!!! Backcountry traninig for the Australian wilderness!!!

You cannot beat the experience of the instructors from NYC, Newark, or the tri-state area for this type of instruction. They are the best in the world!!!

I have the distinct memory, when I was 4 or 5, of seeing an airplane land on a street in midtown Manhattan. No lie. That must have taken some skill :)

I have had my IR for about a year now and have used it a ton.. I keep thinking of doing my Commercial next..
What is all involved in getting the Commercial when I have and am proficient with my IR?

Will it be just learning maneuvers and about the CPL itself (what is legal and not legal pay wise ect)?Also, what about the check ride? Will it be a full blown IR check ride again?

You will be surprised to learn how little coverage of the nuts-and-bolts of flying for pay is included in commercial pilot training. Parts 119 and 135 are a mystery to most newly-certificated commercial pilots.

Bob

No, there is nothing in the commercial that is IR related. The commercial checkride isn't difficult at all. Just a few new maneuvers to learn, and new rules that apply to a commercial license versus a PPL. Look up FAR 61.129 to see what flight experience you need, and the commercial ACS to see what maneuvers and knowledge you will be tested on.

Except if you are doing a commercial Multi.

Commercial is fine...it is a wholly VFR rating. Unfortunately, if your instrument endorsement isn't written right, your flight training provider may tell you that you'll need an additional 10 hours of instrument training even if you have an instrument rating on your PPL. If you have an instrument rating, you don't need the additional 10 hours....period. Before you start Commercial, get your CFI-I to give you an endorsement that your instrument training meets the requirements for the instrument training for the commercial certificate. It'll save you $$.

Back