What it's really like to fly the Chicago lakeshore at sunrise

rwellner98

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
rw2
Friends Flo and Ines from Germany are in town, so we decide to head to the lake and see the city first thing in the morning. Smooth skies and great friends come together for an epic flight and view of the city including the late great Meigs Field.

21 minutes and not one shot of the german girls!! unsubscribed.

(jk)

I like what you did around 17:50 with Meigs overlaid.

Thanks for posting. Fun to listen to the passengers.

Thanks man. That was a fun effect to put together. I'm happy with how it turned out!
Did most of my PPSEL out of Palwaukee in the 70s. Thanks for bringing back some memories. When your guest asked about bears you were close enough to spit on some Chicago Bears at Soldiers Field.

Did most of my PPSEL out of Palwaukee in the 70s. Thanks for bringing back some memories. When your guest asked about bears you were close enough to spit on some Chicago Bears at Soldiers Field.

Yeah, one of my facebook friends called me out on that also. Easy opportunity wasted! I suck!

Saw that too, nice quick retro shot. Not sure how it's done in the video editing SW but it was spot on! :)

You create a 3d representation of the environment, define a surface within that environment, overlay the old satellite photo on the surface and then mask out the plane so that it's still in color as it flies over the satellite.

Editing in the return-trip conversation and cockpit shots while the exteriors were still of heading south was a head-cramper but cool video. :D I grew up under the extended centerline of 29 and did a discovery flight out of Schaumburg. Used to ride my bike out there and be able to sit on a knoll and watch planes - no fences and minimal concrete. Have only flown in a couple times, but I need to hit Pilot Pete's one of these days. Thanks for the memories.

Editing in the return-trip conversation and cockpit shots while the exteriors were still of heading south was a head-cramper but cool video. :D

Very few people notice that kind of thing. Well done. :)

I grew up under the extended centerline of 29 and did a discovery flight out of Schaumburg. Used to ride my bike out there and be able to sit on a knoll and watch planes - no fences and minimal concrete. Have only flown in a couple times, but I need to hit Pilot Pete's one of these days. Thanks for the memories.

Yeah, fences are a bummer all over the place now. But there are still some pretty good places to sit and watch planes in that area. Pete's is always a safe bet. :)

My friends tell me I have an annoying habit of noticing such things. ;) I haven't done that skyline trip myself yet, but now that I'm current again, it's in the cards.

Back