112-hour pilot attempting circumnavigation... !

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
How can you be flying a pc12 with 112 hours?!?

Apparently someone is willing to write him a liability policy (read the text on his site).

Did that kid in the Piper Lance make it?

Wonder if the flight school is waiting to announce he went there until after mission success.
Is there money in this bs?? Ppl seem fixated on doing something that’s been done. Seems to me that this is only an attempt to circumnavigate with the least amount of qualifications!!

Lots of people acting like the PC12 is going to be different than doing it in an SR22 or something. Yeah, it's turbine/faster/pressurized . . . which should make circumnavigating the globe easier on the pilot. Assuming he knows the aircraft systems and is proficient enough in operating the instrument package, I'd think this trip would be less risky than trying to do it a regular piston-powered A/C.

I wonder if he is bringing a mentor pilot, I can't imagine anyone entrusting a $3+ million airplane to a 112 hour pilot.

How can you be flying a pc12 with 112 hours?!?

Legally, SEL, high performance, complex, high altitude, now what insurance wants on the other hand...

I’d wager he’ll have a “passenger” who just happens to be a ATP with time in type.

The PC-12 is a great single pilot plane, very easy to fly if you don’t get behind it, but if you are sloppy or get too far behind it, with its speed, slickness and systems, it’s fully capable of eating you for lunch, much more so than a Bo or cirrus

Also doing large trips like this isn’t really impressive in the Pilatus, I mean if you want to impress folks, go do it in a open cockpit or a C180 or something.

Legally, SEL, high performance, complex, high altitude, now what insurance wants on the other hand...

I’d wager he’ll have a “passenger” who just happens to be a ATP with time in type.

The PC-12 is a great single pilot plane, very easy to fly if you don’t get behind it, but if you are sloppy or get too far behind it, with its speed, slickness and systems, it’s fully capable of eating you for lunch, much more so than a Bo or cirrus

Also doing large trips like this isn’t really impressive in the Pilatus, I mean if you want to impress folks, go do it in a open cockpit or a C180 or something.

Exactly. I can't imagine any insurance company underwriting the policy if there wasn't at least someone with a COM and significant time in type. I'd bet it would be much less-exhausting to do it up high in a PC-12 than slogging along at 8-10K' at 160kts in Mooney. On-board radar, fancy glass cockpit, de-ice, etc. ought to make it fairly benign (not that I've ever undertaken such a thing). I'd think as long as the flight planning was done with appropriate prudence, then the flying portion would be enjoyable barring a major failure.

http://missionparwaaz.com

He's got his private, instrument, and multi and "a few pleasure flights" under his belt, only about 12 hours in the last 3 years, and he's going to launch on a round-the-world trip in a PC12 this Saturday.

I hope he does better than these guys did. :(
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...command-in-this-situation.72650/#post-1510321
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/babar-suleman-and-his-son.73175/

Did the final NTSB report come out on the Babar/Harris tragic around the world flight in their Bonanza?

Personally, I’d love to circumnavigate the world but I’d prefer to do it a little differently than most of these folks do. I’d make it a very long vacation and spend some quality time at many of my stops. I’d probably make more frequent stops as well so I can enjoy more locales. I’d also take my wife with me and seeing as she’s not a pilot, I’d also want to take another pilot/couple along for safety reasons and friendship. I’d also like to do it in something like a Grumman Goose, Widgeon, etc. To me it would be more about stringing together a bunch of destination oriented flights, adventure and actually seeing the world rather than just wanting to claim that I flew around it.

Personally, I’d love to circumnavigate the world but I’d prefer to do it a little differently than most of these folks do. I’d make it a very long vacation and spend some quality time at many of my stops. I’d probably make more frequent stops as well so I can enjoy more locales. I’d also take my wife with me and seeing as she’s not a pilot, I’d also want to take another pilot/couple along for safety reasons and friendship. I’d also like to do it in something like a Grumman Goose, Widgeon, etc. To me it would be more about stringing together a bunch of destination oriented flights, adventure and actually seeing the world rather than just wanting to claim that I flew around it.

Sounds like a good time...I’ll buy the sailboat and we can meet at different destinations

I'm planning to take the 182 around the world next year, SkyDog58 style.

I'm planning to take the 182 around the world next year, SkyDog58 style.

Damn. I suppose that means I have to suffer through another long thread of yours with tons of glorious pictures of great places? I about overdosed on rampant jealousy on your Alaska trip. I doubt if I can stand another.

I hate you.

You don’t really need a liability policy or any other insurance to fly, right?

Many, if not a majority, of airports outside the US demand a certain level of liability insurance to be allowed to use them. Additionally, many countries insist on seeing proof of liability insurance before they will grant an overflight or landing permit.

Many, if not a majority, of airports outside the US demand a certain level of liability insurance to be allowed to use them. Additionally, many countries insist on seeing proof of liability insurance before they will grant an overflight or landing permit.

Just liability, so I would think that’s fairly easy and inexpensive to get.

Is there any money in doing something like this??

It's a daunting flight for even experienced pilots. I've known one woman who did it and one woman who attempted it and never really got very far. Neither one was a 100 hour wonder.

F09B72A4-4753-4348-82D7-47864DADEF25.jpeg So the plane is owned by this SC 3 AIR llc that lists this place as the address for the business. Talk about dough!!!

sorry. I thought this thread was about pilot attempting circumcisions. But even then, 112 hours wouldn't be enough.

People need to lay off.. the man has a flight jacket so he obviously is qualified!

Back