What callsign for Piper Cherokee derivatives?

Rooster T

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
BT
Early in my flying I was taught to identify whatever Cessna single I was flying as simply "Cessna XYZZZ". At some point I learned to be more specific, e.g. Skyhawk XYZZZ, which made sense since it lets everyone know you're probably low and slow.

Yesterday I started getting checked out in a Warrior. I asked the CFI if I should use Warrior XYZZX, and he said basically use whatever you want unless the tower calls you something else, then use that. Okay.

But what do most people use, including at uncontrolled fields? Seems Cherokee would work for any aircraft in that family as they are all fairly similar.

I find saying "Warrior" is a bit of a mumble coming out of my mouth, compared to Cherokee. Sounds sometimes like WOWAWO. I suppose that will improve but...

BT

Cherokee works fine. I have about 600 hours in an Archer and nobody took exception to my calling "Cherokee".

I was flying a Saratoga SP and I was called a Cherokee by the tower. Since there is a significant performance difference between a PA-32 and an Archer, I corrected the controller and he couldn't have cared less. He responded: "It is a Cherokee Saratoga, same difference... "

-Skip

‘Cherokee’ works for all PA-28’s. ‘Saratoga’ works for all PA-32’s etc.

ATC doesn’t care if you use ‘Warrior’ or ‘Cherokee’ it means the same.

If I say "Warrior" or "Archer" (when flying one of those), ATC always refers to me as "Cherokee," so I just go with the flow and say that.

Since there is a significant performance difference between a PA-32 and an Archer

Not really, from an ATC standpoint. We as pilots may think that the Saratoga is a powerhouse compared to an Archer, but they still approach and land at "about" the same speed, which is really what tower cares about - sequencing airplanes to land. Well, that and being able to be sure they visually identify the right aircraft - and a PA-28 and a PA-32 look pretty much the same from a mile away.

I always used "Cherokee" for my Warrior. Calling a 115 kt aircraft a "warrior" just seemed a little too pretentious.

Just use “Cessna”for Cherokee, really throw them for a loop! ;):)

I was flying with a pilot rated passenger when someone called up as a Dakota. The PRP exclaimed "Wow, don't see DC3's around here often!" It was then that I had to explain the PA28-235 lineage.

‘Cherokee’ works for all PA-28’s. ‘Saratoga’ works for all PA-32’s etc.
In my experience, Cherokee works well for PA28s, but when you get into PA32s it becomes a total crap shoot depending on the particular controller or facility.

I’ve been called Cherokee, Saratoga or Lance regardless of what actual aircraft I was in.

Another vote for just Cherokee, even though I'm faster than many of the Cherokees out there. If a controller specifically asks me to say aircraft type, I usually say "P28B".

Another vote for Cherokee. The one time they really wanted to know what kind of Cherokee, "Archer" was good enough.

Cherokee, though I'm always tempted to use the model name "Challenger" for the 73 180.

I use Warrior on a regular basis. Occasionally a controller will respond with Cherokee and I will remind them there is a significant difference between a Cherokee and a true Warrior :D

One day I was VFR with my local class C (Flint).

Me: "Flint approach, Cherokee 1234X"
Approach: "Archer 1234X go ahead"
Me: "Flint approach, Archer 1234X, 12 miles east, VFR to Jackson at 3000 feet, request flight following."
Approach: "Cherokee 1234X squawk 4414 and ident." (???)
Me: "Ahem...Cherokee... 1234X squawking 4414 and ident."
Approach: "Arrow 1234X radar contact 12 miles east of flint, 3000 feet." (??????)

I still don't know if the guy was messing with me, or just overworked (or both)!

I know a guy who flies a Cessna Corvallis. He just says Cessna. Though one time a ground controller asked him if he didn’t mean to say Cirrus.

latest
CHE-WAW-KEE WAW-EE-UH?

If I fly a 90's Tiger (American General) I, and most people I hear, call it a Grumman. When flying a Debonair I've been called a Bonanza, which is understandable. When flying a Bonanza I've been called a Debonair and even a Baron.

Could be worse, people from Great Britain call them "fizzy drinks."

My point was: everything is a Cherokee

If I fly a 90's Tiger (American General) I, and most people I hear, call it a Grumman. When flying a Debonair I've been called a Bonanza, which is understandable. When flying a Bonanza I've been called a Debonair and even a Baron.

Try flying a Beech 18.

I’ve been called a Bonanza, a Baron, a Duke and a Beechjet. Probably been called a Beechjet the most.

I had a controller calling me Cherokee once....... I had traffic, same direction going to the same airport.

ATC said Cherokee bla bla bla, you are overtaking another Cherokee same altitude by 40 knots, turn left 15 degrees

me: Ok...15 left...

Him: Cherokee bla bla bla, what type of Cherokee are you?

Me: a fast one.

Him: open Mic laughing....... I agree.

i always say Archer, even if the controller changes it to Cherokee. onetime they even called me SkyHawk.. now that was offensive and was corrected by yours truly promptly

Controller at KGTU gets on a tear occasionally and requests, no demands that you give what type of Cessna, Piper and for me, he insists on calling me a Debonair when I say Bonanza. Beech officially dropped the name Debonair prior to 1975.
I just reply F33A.

If it's a single, I just call it a Piper. Many people couldn't tell the difference between a Warrior, Archer, Cherokee or Arrow on the ground let alone in the air from a half mile away. In the pattern, they fly at the same speeds so why complicate things?

And if I'm in an single engine Cessna, I just say "Cessna" for the same reason.

But that's at an uncontrolled field. With a tower, I'll go with whatever they want.

I say “Turkey 58473”. Because when someone else says Cherokee really fast over the radio it always sounds like “turkey” to me.

You will now hear it that way too, now that I pointed it out. You’re welcome.

"Tower, this is Warrior one two one papa golf, ten miles southwest landing with tango..."

"Relax kid, you're going to be just fine."

If it's a single, I just call it a Piper. Many people couldn't tell the difference between a Warrior, Archer, Cherokee or Arrow on the ground let alone in the air from a half mile away.
The problem with that is ‘Piper’ could be anything from a Tomahawk to a Malibu. Best to differentiate at least somewhat as to the model you’re flying, rather than just ‘Piper’ as it’s too broad.

I say “Turkey 58473”. Because when someone else says Cherokee really fast over the radio it always sounds like “turkey” to me.

You will now hear it that way too, now that I pointed it out. You’re welcome.
You’ve just poisoned me. I’ll never hear it the same way again.

Back