Handheld radio requirements

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
I have come to realize I should be carrying a handheld radio in plane with me. The recent loss of life in a c150 that lost electrical that could have easily been avoided with a 200 dollar addition has caught my attention. I fly at night and will be IFR certified in a month or two (God willing). So what are I to look for in a handheld. I thought the selection would be limited... but I was wrong. I don’t like lots of choices. I’m good with 3-5 choices.

So things to think about:
Com vs nav/com
- as I am doing IFR I think the navcom makes sense
GPS/nav/com
- didn’t realize they even had these.
I already have foreflight on iPad as a back up gps. And my cell... how much more do you need?!!

You can get what looks like a decent nav/com for under 250. Is there anything that I’m missing???

I have a Com/Nav handheld (Yaesu) and while the VOR function works fairly well, I don't think that I'm a good enough pilot to be able to safely use it for navigation in the soup. I think I'd be much better off using my tablet to navigate by GPS.

As for the com function, whatever model you choose, get the headset adapter (if it isn't already included) and a cable for an external antenna connection. If your plane doesn't already have it, get a T connection box installed into one of your antenna coax leads so that you can connect the cable for the handheld to an external antenna. I have found that the range of my handheld is tripled by using an external antenna vs. its flexible rubber antenna.

When I expect to fly for any time in the clouds, I preinstall the headset adapter and external antenna cable on the radio so that if I need to use it, I don't have to fumble with them while flying the plane.

The only advice I'd offer is...

If you're going to use it for hobby and play (i.e. to listen to the CTAF/tower while at the airport or at home) then get one with a rechargeable battery pack and maybe get an extra pack.

If you're only going to use it for communications failure emergencies, then get one that takes AA batteries. Mine stays in my plane's glove box and I change the batteries in it and in my flashlights every year at annual. The old batteries go into a ziplock and are used in my headsets,

I don't have to worry about charging my battery or worry if it's not adequately charged when an emergency arises.

I agree with setting up radio with the plug ready just in case.
I was thinking about going with AA battery case as well and if I’m going up just make sure I have fresh ones in. I can’t stand when I forget to charge something.

I carry an old Sporty's SP-200 COM/NAV. To be honest, all you really need is the COM, because in an emergency, you are going to use a backup GPS system (Garmin portable, tablet, or phone) for NAV. (The SP-200 NAV works fine, but you'd have to be a masochist to try to fly by it.) You want the COM to be able to raise ATC or tower, or do things like turn on runway lights. I put alkaline AAs in mine, becuase they will store charge longer than rechargeable NiMH batteries (But if you change NiMH batteries out religiously, you can save a little money there.) The handheld COM is very nice for requesting/copying clearances prior to taxi, or just listening to ATIS or AWOS to confirm which way to pull the plane out of the hangar. I would highly recommend getting a headset adapter and keeping it handy in the cockpit. Even better is to wire an external antenna adapter as well to get better range. (I haven't done that yet.)

If you have a portable COM, a backup GPS device, and a headlamp, you have the basic in-flight emergency equipment for coping with a major electrical failure. Your battery should theoretically last for 30 minutes or so if you shed load, but if it is not in tip-top condition, or you fail to notice loss of charge early enough, you may not get that much time. I've never had to use the backup devices for real, but it is comfortable knowing that a complete electrical failure is not going to be a full 5-alarm emergency leading to LOC. Especially at night or IFR. (OK, maybe 3-4 alarm, depending on the situation.) I do use the headlamp on every night flight. (I have a cap clip-on and a strap-on light, both with red or white illumination). The headlamps provide superior cockpit illumination of some of the steam gauges compared to the crappy brow lights. (Something else to fix in the future.)

Most of the handheld choices get decent reviews. My SP-200 in ancient and is still working fine.

The recent loss of life in a c150 that lost electrical that could have easily been avoided with a 200 dollar addition has caught my attention.

Must have missed that one, got a link?

I carry an old Sporty's SP-200 COM/NAV. To be honest, all you really need is the COM,
That's what I have also. Had it for at least a dozen years and, like you, have never used the NAV except to test it occasionally to make sure it works.

It's a com...

But the NAV is there...

For whatever that's worth.

Edit: now that I think about it I've never had to use it for a com either.

Last edited:
I'm guessing its probably a little early to declare that a handheld radio would have prevented that crash. That being said, there's a whole slew of previous threads on Handhelds. I used to like my Sporty's SP400. But, after about 2 years, it developed a thick black line across the display that obscured all useable information. Replace it with a Yaesu FTA 550. I keep the DC adapter in the aircraft. In fact, my little airplane has no fixed avionics. So, its my sole source of communication. So far, its worked great. $199!

Instead of spending the money on the NAV function, a handheld cheap aviation GPS would be far more valuable in an emergency.

I've used my Com a few times. And it saves Avgas/JetA if you want to get clearance/weather before starting up.

I have had a couple of the Yaesu. Happy with them. It primarily gets used to listen to ATIS on the ground and to call for fuel off the truck. (Club planes get fuel off the club truck at a good discount that's at or cheaper than the self-serve pump, so don't accuse me of not wanted to get my hands dirty! Just accuse me of being cheap.)

Second on the headset adapter. I once tried to use it in flight without. Completely useless. Might work if you had an engine failure?

I have the Yaesu FTA-550L from Amazon. Very happy with it. Came with rechargeable batteries but also a tray for AA batteries. Headset adapter and multiple charge adapters. Holds a charge for months.

Do any of the handhelds have a flashlight on them?

I was thinking about going with AA battery case as well and if I’m going up just make sure I have fresh ones in. I can’t stand when I forget to charge something.
I use Energizer lithiums for that tray. I've had bad luck with leaking alkalines.

Second on the headset adapter. I once tried to use it in flight without. Completely useless. Might work if you had an engine failure?

I originally had a similar opinion of the Yaesu headset adapter until I did some testing and found that it seems to work well with mono headsets (with TS plugs) and not work so well with stereo headsets (with TRS plugs). Setting mono mode on stereo headsets didn't help. So I keep an old mono (TS plug) headset in the plane for that purpose, and plug it into the headset adapter ahead of time for IFR flying (I forgot to mention that in my earlier note...sorry).

I originally had a similar opinion of the Yaesu headset adapter until I did some testing and found that it seems to work well with mono headsets (with TS plugs) and not work so well with stereo headsets (with TRS plugs). Setting mono mode on stereo headsets didn't help. So I keep an old mono (TS plug) headset in the plane for that purpose, and plug it into the headset adapter ahead of time for IFR flying (I forgot to mention that in my earlier note...sorry).

Sorry if it wasn't clear, I meant that I was seconding the recommendation to carry the headset adapter. Using the handheld radio in a noisy plane with just the speaker and mic is unworkable. I have had no real issue with stereo headsets on my 450 or on the 220 before it.

Another thing about Yaesu that I forgot...the PTT button only works for the built-in mic. Carry a PTT switch, too! This turns out to be useful when the yoke button fails, too.

I have found that the range of my handheld is tripled by using an external antenna vs. its flexible rubber antenna.

I've measured it several times using my lab equipment. It is anywhere between 8x and 12x difference between the rubber duckie and a standard aircraft whip antenna, depending on a lot of factors including how you are holding the radio. That's open field measurement. I'd expect a LOT more loss if the duckie is inside of a big aluminum can with a few plexiglass holes.

Jim

I've measured it several times using my lab equipment. It is anywhere between 8x and 12x difference between the rubber duckie and a standard aircraft whip antenna, depending on a lot of factors including how you are holding the radio. That's open field measurement. I'd expect a LOT more loss if the duckie is inside of a big aluminum can with a few plexiglass holes.

Jim
For my high altitude ballooning. My first launch I used a standard rubber duck on a 5w 3M transponder. While it worked.. I broadcasted at 5 watts and got Rf interference on a spot messenger (low power gps transponder) and the spot wouldn’t transmit. Second launch I built a modified jpole antenna that swung freely under the payload thus creating a radio null for the spot. Worked great and only had to broadcast at ~1.25w for an altitude of >100k. Easily could have had even less power... amazing how direction can overcome power.

I keep a Sporty SP-200 in my flight bag as well as 8 extra AA batteries. My Nav and Coms in the plane have a 30 minute battery backup and if that is not enough I keep an iPad in my flight bag also as a backup.

If I need the old radio it is there. I’d rather carry around forever and never need it than need it like the father in St. Louis and not have it.

Jim

8x to 12x more radius or 8x to 12x more radiated power? If it's 8x to 12x more power, 3x radius is about what you should get, right?

I have a Yasu Com and like it well. I sometimes carry it in a plane, but I am rarely in controlled airspace. I agree that if you will rely on it in a plane, you should have a headset connection.

My concern about the OP’s writings is that he plans on single engine, single pilot flying in IMC AT NIGHT! That’s just beyond what my survival instincts will allow me to do.

Some previous owner was smart, and had a third external com antenna installed leading to a jack on the panel. Plug the hand held in to the jack, and it works very well.Capture.JPG

One thing I did after I got mine: I actually tried using it at a class D...it worked fine, btw.

I also use mine regularly for clearance delivery.

My concern about the OP’s writings is that he plans on single engine, single pilot flying in IMC AT NIGHT! That’s just beyond what my survival instincts will allow me to do.

It's not clear the OP will fly IMC at night. He mentions flying at night and will soon be IFR certified. Nevertheless, everyone has different risk tolerance, and single pilot night IFR is not unsafe, albeit with increased risk. I fly single pilot night IFR on occasion, mostly in benign conditions and always with terrain in mind for route planning.

8x to 12x more radius or 8x to 12x more radiated power? If it's 8x to 12x more power, 3x radius is about what you should get, right?

Yes, if you increase ERP in a 10:1 ratio, you get 3.5x more radius. However, I did not measure ERP. I did air to ground distance testing using a common airframe, with aircraft antennas and radios exactly the same as the air platform. The criteria was to set squelch on the radio to "just break" with the aircraft flying in tight circles and setting the squelch during the maximum point in the circle to just break. Then when I changed antennas, the aircraft flew either directly towards or directly away from the ground transmitter. See later for how distance was measured.

The test ground transmitter in question was a Yaesu (Vertex Standard) VXA-700 with the stock rubber duck. The reference antenna was a ground plane mounted on a plastic pipe at the same rough height above ground as the Yaesu with the human standing erect. The connection between the Yaesu and the ground plane was a 20' length of RG-58 coaxial cable and there was no correction factor for the loss of the cable. The cable was used to keep the human from forming a reflector to the ground plane.

Nevada County Airpark was the test center. At the time, I had established an FCC approved antenna pattern range that was used for the FCC type acceptance testing of my company's aircraft radio designs. The pattern range was in the runoff area of runway 25, which was a flat area cleared of large vegetation (shrubs, trees, etc.) but short weeds and grass remained. The test transmitter was placed in the center of this pattern range. Distance was measured using ground references and later plotted using local maps and a ruler, which is why I approximated the 8 to 12x, rather than giving an absolute measurement. The 8 to 12x included a few approximations including errors of map measurement, some distance discrepancies using relatively crude instrumentation, and other minor errors.

Were I to do it today, I would have used the battery powered spectrum analyzer that I have since acquired instead of using squelch break as the criteria.

Did that help?

By the way, for those of you idiots that think 123.4 and 123.45 are chatter frequencies, this is why the FCC reserves these frequencies for manufacturing test channels. This is EXACTLY what we do on these frequencies until Bubba and BilllyJob screw up a few hours of work chattering about the french fries over at Rosie Beanbags cafe.

Jim

Last edited:
...My concern about the OP’s writings is that he plans on single engine, single pilot flying in IMC AT NIGHT! That’s just beyond what my survival instincts will allow me to do.
Man, that guy and others like him (such as me, btw, and I'm also low time as far as IFR is concerned) are some REAL RISK TAKERS!
LOL

Get the AA Lithium batteries instead of alkaline (regular ones). They will hold a charge longer and will not leak when they get old, which ruins the electrical contacts in the battery box. Cost more, but they can save your equipment from damage.

Get the AA Lithium batteries instead of alkaline (regular ones). They will hold a charge longer and will not leak when they get old, which ruins the electrical contacts in the battery box. Cost more, but they can save your equipment from damage.
Heat makes it more likely to leak. If you are like me and tend to leave your flight bag in a hot car or plane, expect leaks from alkalines.

+1 on the Lithium tray, but use the rechargeable pack as your routine battery. The lithium AAs are expensive but have like a 5 year use-by date. So they will be good when your rechargeable goes dead.

Man, that guy and others like him (such as me, btw, and I'm also low time as far as IFR is concerned) are some REAL RISK TAKERS!
LOL

This is nothing but a curiosity question. Have you ever experienced an engine out or limited power situation? Again, nothing except a curiosity question.

I have a Yasu Com and like it well. I sometimes carry it in a plane, but I am rarely in controlled airspace. I agree that if you will rely on it in a plane, you should have a headset connection.

I’m not sure where I said I would be flying IMc at night?? I fly at night at time. And will be IFR certified. No where did I discuss my personal minimums.

Y'know, there's quite a few of us who do that. Single pilot IMC in a single engine airplane that you're good and proficient with really isn't that hard and really wouldn't be helped all that much by a second pilot. And if I didn't have some level of trust in my engine, I wouldn't be flying it in the first place.

Y'know, there's quite a few of us who do that. Single pilot IMC in a single engine airplane that you're good and proficient with really isn't that hard and really wouldn't be helped all that much by a second pilot. And if I didn't have some level of trust in my engine, I wouldn't be flying it in the first place.
I do ALL my IFR as single pilot in a single engine (with no autopilot...the horror). It might be a matter of “I don’t know what I’m missing” but I’m fine with the risk.
I also believe night flying, whether VFR or IFR, does involve extra risk...and I VERY frequently fly VFR at night too. I have a backup to my vacuum system, and an engine out at night, whether IFR or VFR, is going to be a problem, I know. So to @MBDiagMan i also have a question: do you fly at night at all?

I've got two handhelds. I bought a Vertex Standard (read Yaesu) one a while back that also does the 2M ham band. It works well enough. I never bother with the nav side of the thing because I've always had a Garmin handheld GPS (195) and now have several GPS-enabled phones/tablets that do a better job of nav than the Yaesu ever will. The other is a dumb sportys handheld that I bought used off a boardie here for small $ as it was missing the antenna. I put a junk antenna I had on it (it was a 144/440MHz dual band off Margy's old handy talkie). Sitting in my house about three miles from the control tower at IAD I called clearance delivery and they confirmed it worked just fine. It's actually the one that's sitting on the window sill here in the house when I need to talk to someone in the pattern. I've got a UNIDEN scanner (another $10 Ebay find) that stays stuck on 122.9 and wired into the house audio system.

If you're going to use this for emergencies, what you need is one that takes AA batteries and keep a spare set of alkalines around with it. If you plan to use it regularly, a second rechargeable pack may be handy. If you own the plane you're using it in, you can consider installing an external antenna (or as my radio guy did just put a BNC connector right under the panel for the regular radio that you can unhook and connect to the hand held.

I've never in 20 years of airplane ownership needed to use my handheld in an emergency situation. I did bring it with me to Australia and loaned it to another member of our group whose comm radio in the plane crapped out.
I have had to use the handheld GPS a number of times. Navigation is more important than Communication.

Years ago, I was hanging around the airport and Margy's instructor said he was going up to give someone an IPC. "Come along, you'll learn something," he says. So I'm in the back of this student's Arrow. Of course, Buzz's standard lesson is to fly somewhere for dinner (I swear he only starts looking for students when he's hungry). After dinner, we start doing the instrument work in earnest. We were out shooting the NDB approach into GAI if I recall when the student drops the gear and the panel goes dead. Apparently, the alternator had crumped earlier and neither had noticed it. Now it's 1AM and we can see IAD. Buzz tells the student to call IAD on the handheld and tell them we have the airport in sight and want to land. This guy calls Dulles and they give him a squawk code which he is then trying to dial into the dead transponder. The student's just about shut down at this point and the instructor is flying. He says "Give Ron the radio." I call IAD, except the stupid handheld battery is dying. I can hear Dulles, but they can't hear me. They are trying to relay off passing airliners to me but my transmissions are not getting out. Finally we get a call "We have a primary contact 12 NE of the airport, if that's you, turn 270." I yell the instruction to the instructor and he turns. "Very good, if you would like to come to IAD, fly 230." (This heading takes us to the field.) I yell 230 at the instructor and we head in. We're cleared to land and as we're touching down they say that unless they hear from us they will roll the equipment. I transmitted that we didn't need the equipment. They heard that, but when I told them we were going to Taxi to Hawthorne, the radio was completely dead. We just taxied in. The instructor went to debrief the student. I called the tower on the phone and let them know we were OK and thanked them for their assistance.

Moral: Keep alkaline AA's available for the radio and KNOW WHAT TO DO if you need to use it.

I've got two handhelds. I bought a Vertex Standard (read Yaesu) one a while back that also does the 2M ham band. It works well enough. I never bother with the nav side of the thing because I've always had a Garmin handheld GPS (195) and now have several GPS-enabled phones/tablets that do a better job of nav than the Yaesu ever will. The other is a dumb sportys handheld that I bought used off a boardie here for small $ as it was missing the antenna. I put a junk antenna I had on it (it was a 144/440MHz dual band off Margy's old handy talkie). Sitting in my house about three miles from the control tower at IAD I called clearance delivery and they confirmed it worked just fine. It's actually the one that's sitting on the window sill here in the house when I need to talk to someone in the pattern. I've got a UNIDEN scanner (another $10 Ebay find) that stays stuck on 122.9 and wired into the house audio system.

If you're going to use this for emergencies, what you need is one that takes AA batteries and keep a spare set of alkalines around with it. If you plan to use it regularly, a second rechargeable pack may be handy. If you own the plane you're using it in, you can consider installing an external antenna (or as my radio guy did just put a BNC connector right under the panel for the regular radio that you can unhook and connect to the hand held.

I've never in 20 years of airplane ownership needed to use my handheld in an emergency situation. I did bring it with me to Australia and loaned it to another member of our group whose comm radio in the plane crapped out.
I have had to use the handheld GPS a number of times. Navigation is more important than Communication.

Years ago, I was hanging around the airport and Margy's instructor said he was going up to give someone an IPC. "Come along, you'll learn something," he says. So I'm in the back of this student's Arrow. Of course, Buzz's standard lesson is to fly somewhere for dinner (I swear he only starts looking for students when he's hungry). After dinner, we start doing the instrument work in earnest. We were out shooting the NDB approach into GAI if I recall when the student drops the gear and the panel goes dead. Apparently, the alternator had crumped earlier and neither had noticed it. Now it's 1AM and we can see IAD. Buzz tells the student to call IAD on the handheld and tell them we have the airport in sight and want to land. This guy calls Dulles and they give him a squawk code which he is then trying to dial into the dead transponder. The student's just about shut down at this point and the instructor is flying. He says "Give Ron the radio." I call IAD, except the stupid handheld battery is dying. I can hear Dulles, but they can't hear me. They are trying to relay off passing airliners to me but my transmissions are not getting out. Finally we get a call "We have a primary contact 12 NE of the airport, if that's you, turn 270." I yell the instruction to the instructor and he turns. "Very good, if you would like to come to IAD, fly 230." (This heading takes us to the field.) I yell 230 at the instructor and we head in. We're cleared to land and as we're touching down they say that unless they hear from us they will roll the equipment. I transmitted that we didn't need the equipment. They heard that, but when I told them we were going to Taxi to Hawthorne, the radio was completely dead. We just taxied in. The instructor went to debrief the student. I called the tower on the phone and let them know we were OK and thanked them for their assistance.

Moral: Keep alkaline AA's available for the radio and KNOW WHAT TO DO if you need to use it.
Good story!

My handheld has nicads, but in between flights it sits in the charger in the hangar, AND, I have a cigarette lighter plug I carry in the plane along with the headset adapter.

I bought an NiMH battery and charger for my IC-A22 handheld, from W&W Manufacturing. It was somewhat expensive, but it works VERY well, and I don't have to worry about the "memory effect" that the original NiCd batteries suffered from.

You didn't have to worry about memory effect PERIOD. Most people never saw memory effect in their NiCads and more people killed NiCad packs deep discharging them trying to avoid memory effect.
NiMH is less prone to self discharge but they still have relatively low internal resistance and that can happen.

You didn't have to worry about memory effect PERIOD. Most people never saw memory effect in their NiCads and more people killed NiCad packs deep discharging them trying to avoid memory effect.
NiMH is less prone to self discharge but they still have relatively low internal resistance and that can happen.
NiCads are getting rather rare, having largely been replaced by NiMH and various lithium variants, so that's a bit of a moot point at this time in history.

Back