Best time for a Touch n Go at ATL?

It's been done in Ohare:

In Seattle, they'll do "cleared for the option". No touchdown = no landing fee as the fee is paid to the Port and the airspace is a federal matter. You now have plausible deniability the wheels touched and whoever does the job or reviewing the tapes to send out the bills doesn't know.

I never will understand the fascination with landing big Bravo airports, ever. They're big, wide, and easily landed. I just don't see the challenge. I suppose if one is hidebound in love with leaving with lots f jet traffic, but then why go in an 2 in the morning? I understand wanting to land a gravel bar in Alaska or some canyon floor in Idaho. That makes sense, its challenging aviating. But a big wide runway? What's the big deal?

Sorry if this ruffles anyone's feathers, just how I see things through my myopic Mark II's.

I never will understand the fascination with landing big Bravo airports, ever. They're big, wide, and easily landed. I just don't see the challenge. I suppose if one is hidebound in love with leaving with lots f jet traffic, but then why go in an 2 in the morning? I understand wanting to land a gravel bar in Alaska or some canyon floor in Idaho. That makes sense, its challenging aviating. But a big wide runway? What's the big deal?

Sorry if this ruffles anyone's feathers, just how I see things through my myopic Mark II's.
The challenge is not getting into a mid-air while traversing through busy airspace. :)

I kid I kid.

But yes, I understand your point, Michael.

I'm impressed! I still have to use the myopic Mark Is that were originally issued to me, although augmented now by lenses put in front of them for more clear distance vision.

How does one upgrade to Mark IIs???

Every airport on my bucket list is unpaved!

;-)

Oh...

...and short.

I'm impressed! I still have to use the myopic Mark Is that were originally issued to me, although augmented now by lenses put in front of them for more clear distance vision.

How does one upgrade to Mark IIs???

Heh. I would assume through surgery. I thought I was the only person that referred to my LASIK'ed eyes as Mark II eyeballs. Guess not. :)

Know the rules. Hate to get violated for a simple reason you didn't follow Instructions all to write KATL in your logbook.

Some airports 2:00-4:00pm are actually slow as folks are already in and the workday isn't finished.

Might even ask ATC if they would like to do a certain approach for training. For ex. a contact or no gyro approach. They need training too and might welcome you volunteering.

Let’s roll!

In a 152? :yesnod:
Nah...I’d spring for the 172! ;)

Hey, if you’re actually game for it, we could arrange a time. Would be fun and it’d make for a good POA video! :D

Around 5 am. Seriously, cranks up around 6am with arrivals, and some departures.
Yeah. That’d be an early departure from here to swing by and get you and then make it ATL by 5a. Later at night no good? Say...11p?

I'd bet you've have a lot more fun and feel a lot more welcome if you dropped in at Moontown some Saturday Morning! That place is a freakin' hoot! (At least it was a dozen years ago or so).

Yeah. That’d be an early departure from here to swing by and get you and then make it ATL by 5a. Later at night no good? Say...11p?

Last bank of departures go out around that time. After midnight better.

I'd bet you've have a lot more fun and feel a lot more welcome if you dropped in at Moontown some Saturday Morning!
Moontown is on my agenda. I’ll make it one of these days.

Moontown is on my agenda. I’ll make it one of these days.

Think they just had their annual fly-in this past weekend. Not a lot there, usually have pancake breakfast at least once a month. It’s a grass strip.

Last bank of departures go out around that time. After midnight better.
I could swing it. Would you be able to meet at a halfway point? Maybe GAD or PYP?

We could work something out.
Sounds good! If you could meet halfway somewhere that would be ideal and then ——>ATL from there.

Let’s see what kind of weather we get the next few weeks and we’ll try to throw something together.

Sounds good! If you could meet halfway somewhere that would be ideal and then ——>ATL from there.

Let’s see what kind of weather we get the next few weeks and we’ll try to throw something together.

Whatttt you don’t wanna do 2OVC?!

Whatttt you don’t wanna do 2OVC?!
All I know is that I’ll bring the whiskey and a couple strippers. The only thing you gotta bring is yourself! That’s a pretty good offer if I do say so myself.

All I know is that I’ll bring the whiskey and a couple strippers. The only thing you gotta bring is yourself! That’s a pretty good offer if I do say so myself.

Yeah, heard that chit before, kinda depends on what the strippers look like. Unless that’s the reason for the whiskey, to make the strippers look good?

Yeah, heard that chit before, kinda depends on what the strippers look like. Unless that’s the reason for the whiskey, to make the strippers look good?
I see that this isn’t your first rodeo...

Question for Mr. CRJ.... @mscard88 or anyone else that is familiar.

Traffic inbound from the N will always get 8L/26R for landing and S arrivals get 9R/27L or 10/28, is that correct?

Is it always based on that, or does it depend on the traffic flows at the time?

I assume if I’m arriving from the N I’ll always get 26R or 8L.

Most of the time you’ll get what you wrote, but not always. Coming from the N sometimes you get the south runways (27/28) and from the S you’ll get vectored for the north runway. I don’t know the official or exact reason but I can guess it’s to possibly balance out the arrivals.

It's pretty quiet there at 1 am or so. I was flying back from Auburn on a Saturday after a night game several years ago. ATC gave me "direct Lawrenceville", which goes diagonally across the Atlanta Class B airspace. I was thinking, "no way in hell". As I get closer I'm getting concerned as I'll soon be taking a crazy deviation/detour when they could have given me a better route. I finally realized it too late, they were going to fly me over Hartsfield diagonally. I should have asked for a touch n go. :oops: Dang it!

There I was descending from 7,000' to 5,000' looking down at ATL and it looked like no planes were moving anywhere on the airport.

I took passengers in there last week so obviously it wasn’t a taxi back but pretty easy. The fees IIRC were not too crazy but i wasnt paying. Been in there 3 times and never any problems. If u r just doing a landing and taxi back pretty sure u r not charged. Have fun crossing an item off the list but it’s really no big thing.

I can't speak for ATL. But this I know about CLT which is obviously not as busy
A. No touch and go's, if you land, you are going to the FBO, but really isn't a big deal
B. At the FBO (wilson air), a piston single is about a $14 landing fee
C. I got a tour of the CLT Tracon/Tower last year. I asked them point blank about coming in there with a small GA plane. They said, we would be happy to have you (no mention of IFR though I am rated), but gave me a list of busy times and just asked that I avoid those times
D. At the end of the day, for what any GA flight costs, don't let a $50 fee (even though the principle of it can be frustrating) let it keep you from scratching that off your list.

About two years ago, while I was flying just outside the Kansas City Bravo, I heard approach helpfully ask a pilot “how many touch and goes would you like at Kansas City International?”

It was the middle of the day.

I was impressed. Great customer service, with nothing being sold.

For touch and goes - I believe I was riding in the back of a 172 years back and controller didn’t want to do it at SAN. Said she’d consider it a practice approach (it was the approach controller) and said land or go elsewhere. I’ve done full stop taxi backs at PIT a few times. No big deal.

In general fying IFR into any non-CVRS (ie not LaGuardia) airport day or night they’ll work you in. I flew into IAD at 2pm on a weekday at Dulles a week ago. No big deal. In April was flying home from Texas and decided over ATL that it was getting late and I was getting tired. So we diverted to ATL for the night. Arrived at 10p. No big deal. The landing fees / ramp fees and overnight at Signature was like $50. Got a hotel close to the FBO and got to see the delta museum the next day. Well worth it.

I used to be based in Boston. BOS was frequent my alternate and the local knowledge was that the lights were bright enough there that it was a reliable alternate. Big runways. 24 hr crash rescue. Only thing not to like would have been the $$$ (couple hundred at least) in landing and FBO fees. JFK I guess lost their port authority GA ramp and now is just signature. They also have a $ penalty if you depart during a push.

To the comment above - bravo airports are easy to fly in or out of- just more complicated on the ground. You’re not as used to them as light Ga and they’re not as used to you.

Having ATL in my logbook has been a bucket list item of mine for awhile. I’m planning a night cross-country down to one of the three Atlanta area GA airports (RYY, LZU, or PDK) not sure which yet, to add to my cross-country and night total times for IR and CPL.

I’d be arriving from the north so I’d assume they’d queue me in for 8L or 26R. If I hit the VFR request with Atlanta Tracon around 10:30 or 11p, what are the odd’s that I’d be able to do this?

Anyone of my Atlanta friends who are more familiar with the sequencing and such, let me know and also the ATC guys who may have some advice to offer.

Also, might be a dumb Q but assuming I just did a touch n go, I wouldn’t be slapped with any landing fee’s or anything correct? What about if I ended up making it a full stop-taxi back?

Gracias.

Guessing after midnight would be best. Last scheduled departures go out between 11 & midnight.

Dunno about the fees.

Yep. I haven't landed there, but kick myself from time-to-time for missing out on the opportunity late one night.

My daughter and I were flying home from a night game at Auburn. At first I was surprised when they gave my "direct Lawrenceville" (KLZU) as that cut diagonally across the ATL Bravo airspace. Then I was getting ticked off that they were bringing me in close and I'd have to make some crazy turn to avoid the airspace. Unfortunately I realized too late descending from 5,000' over the airport that nothing was going on down there. The only thing moving were ground vehicles. I could have easily asked for a T&G or landing and it would have been no big deal. :(

I could have easily asked for a T&G or landing and it would have been no big deal
From my understanding, they don't allow T&G's, only full stop taxi backs.

I have yet to carry out this master plan, but it is still on my agenda!

:D

Back