Disability and Medical

U

unregistered

2 years ago I was in a vehicle accident, broke part of vertebrae in my lower back, and severe whiplash. I have done PT and chiropractor the last few years. So far it is only a temporary fix, pain comes back within weeks. I have back sciatica pain that runs down buttocks and leg, causing tingling in toes, numbness in leg, and feels like my leg is slow to respond, or drags when I walk. It gets worse throughout the day, prevents me from exercising, and even gets worse sitting down. I work in law enforcement, and it looks like I may have a disability retirement coming over this. I don't take any pain meds, because I don't want the hassle they come with. OTC meds work ok for the most part.

So if I do get a disability retirement, but am able to get the issues under control, especially the numbness of the leg, will that prevent me from getting a 2nd or 1st class medical? I've always wanted to get my CFI for a retirement job, and possibly make aviation a 2nd career. Thanks.

So if I do get a disability retirement, but am able to get the issues under control, especially the numbness of the leg, will that prevent me from getting a 2nd or 1st class medical? I've always wanted to get my CFI for a retirement job, and possibly make aviation a 2nd career. Thanks.
Under the current regs, a 2nd or 1st class medical is not required to be a CFI. Flight instruction can happen under BasicMed. But it is possible that a school employing you as an instructor will require a 2nd. But if instructing as a "freelancer", you can use BasicMed.

Can I flight instruct under BasicMed?

Yes. The FAA has stated that “flight instructors meeting the requirements of this rule may act as PIC while giving flight training without holding a medical certificate, regardless of whether the person receiving flight training holds a medical certificate.” The FAA considers the flight instructor who is acting as PIC to be “receiving compensation for his or her flight instruction” under instructor privileges but is “exercising private pilot privileges while acting as PIC of the flight.”​

First class is not needed unless you are working as a revenue pilot (Part 121 or Part 135) and your employer's OpSpec requires their pilots to hold such a medical.

For your medical, you'll need to demonstrate for the AME that you have a normal range of motion and that nothing from your injuries are going to cause a safety of flight issues. Things to consider are sitting for long periods of time and entering/exiting the aircraft (especially Cherokees, which aren't known for graceful and easy exits from the right seat.)

I am not certain how claiming "disability retirement" affects an applicant's ability to obtain medical certification.

But this doesn't present a roadblock, then you can obtain your third class medical, get busy with flight training, eventually switch to BasicMed once the third class expires, continue training and moving up the ratings, and eventually obtain your instructor credentials.

If you ever eventually choose surgery to correct the problem, I have seen Dr. Bruce Chien comment positively on several threads regarding spinal issues, indicating that obtaining all classes of medical are possible, as long as you supply the FAA with the proper documentation of what was done and what the outcome was.

I was thinking that as soon as the FAA sees disability the government bureacracy would rear it's ugly thread and throw up roadblocks. And some local flight schools near me require a 2nd class to get a commercial certficate.

I was thinking that as soon as the FAA sees disability the government bureacracy would rear it's ugly thread and throw up roadblocks. And some local flight schools near me require a 2nd class to get a commercial certficate.

For specifics of how the disability item would play with the FAA, seek out Dr. Bruce Chien (http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/how-to-start.html)

If the flight school you want to use for obtaining your commercial certificate insists on you holding a 2nd class medical, seek a different flight school. Ask them where in the FARs that it is required for training. You do not need such to train for the commercial pilot's license nor to take the checkride. You only need the 2nd class medical when you are exercising the privileges of the CPL as a pilot for hire.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back