[NA] There ought to be a law [NA]

Ravioli

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Unwanted Guest - Perma-ban Pending
Or a regulation, rule, or some guidance.

Advertisers use of music. Can't they make up their own music? Current examples that end up in my head for hours after the offending commercial:

Product / Band / Song
Ozempic / Pilot / Magic
Acura RDX / Rolling Stones / Sympathy for the Devil
Geico / Europe / The Final Countdown
Choice Hotels / Johnny Cash / I've Been Everywhere

Heck -- even in 2012 they lifted Ozzy's Crazy Train for a Honda commercial.

I'm sure you have your own examples of the song that wouldn't go away.

You have just proven that the use of popular music in advertising is effective.

A friend of mine wrote a hit song recorded in 1963. He's still getting royalty checks from a midwest power company and a Japanese beer company, which both use the tune in their advertising.

Yup I do.

Show Them To Me .... by Rodney Carrington

I.L.B.T. .......Joe Walsh

....just to name ‘two’ , get it? ;)

Last edited:
You have just proven that the use of popular music in advertising is effective

Au contraire -- I get the songs stuck in my head but I never by the products.

They'd be better off it was like Wall of Voodoo's "Mexican Radio." Then I'd buy the product and never use it. ;)

There was a farmer had a dog
and Bingo was his name-o.

B-I-N-G-O
B-I-N-G-O
B-I-N-G-O and Bingo was his name-o....

Au contraire -- I get the songs stuck in my head but I never by the products.

They'd be better off it was like Wall of Voodoo's "Mexican Radio." Then I'd buy the product and never use it. ;)
No comprende- it’s a riddle

Oh damn... Now it's Capital One using Prince's "Let's go crazy."

Two thoughts...
Go crazy with a credit card?!?
Don't even start on me about Prince...

"That's Spandau Ballet, man!"

"Listening to Marvin all night longggg"

I do love that song, and reminds of my childhood friend Kurt, who happens to be a liberal. I think I'll call him.

Well played!

Advertisers use of music. Can't they make up their own music? Current examples that end up in my head for hours after the offending commercial:

Product / Band / Song
Ozempic / Pilot / Magic
Acura RDX / Rolling Stones / Sympathy for the Devil
Geico / Europe / The Final Countdown
Choice Hotels / Johnny Cash / I've Been Everywhere

Heck -- even in 2012 they lifted Ozzy's Crazy Train for a Honda commercial.

I'm sure you have your own examples of the song that wouldn't go away.

I noticed the same thing. Based on the music and the products, I have to say they're marketing to boomers because Millennials tend not to buy cars, need car insurance, have diabetes, or do much traveling.

Rich

Cadillac & Coppertone Sport/Portugal. The Man/Feel it Still

Love that tune!!

I don't think I watch them so much as hear them when I'm walking to the fridge.

So, I guess hearing a song I know does get me to look to see what the product I'm not going to buy is.

Now it seems Amazon has the cure. Literally:

Forget the songs. How about banning ads for prescription medicines that say nothing about the drug or what it does, only tell you that you can't be happy and healthy without it, and to ask your doctor if it's right for you, followed by a 20-minute monologue of nauseating side effects.

And the ones where body parts follow the people around.

I'd rather see a ban on doorbells on TV. Drives the pup crazy.
Greatest advertising gimmick ever. Doorbell on TV rings and the dogs go crazy while you go to the door and see that nobody's there. Then you figure out it was the TV and end up watching the advertisement after all just because the dogs were barking. :rofl:

Advertisers use of music..

It is called "selling out"...or still having to pay for artist blow and hookers habits of old.

People will no longer pay for music so make corporate pay!

Forget the songs. How about banning ads for prescription medicines that say nothing about the drug or what it does, only tell you that you can't be happy and healthy without it, and to ask your doctor if it's right for you, followed by a 20-minute monologue of nauseating side effects.

And the ones where body parts follow the people around.
Ask your doctor if medical advice from a commercial is right for you.

And barking dogs on TV!
That will normally get Jackson’s attention but he will not go bonkers. A doorbell however will cause him to start barking and run to the front door as if he wanted to kill something. Of course, on the rare occasion it’s not the tv but is actually our doorbell and there’s someone at the door, the second I open the door he’s all “hello there, can I be your friend?”. :cool:

That will normally get Jackson’s attention but he will not go bonkers. A doorbell however will cause him to start barking and run to the front door as if he wanted to kill something. Of course, on the rare occasion it’s not the tv but is actually our doorbell and there’s someone at the door, the second I open the door he’s all “hello there, can I be your friend?”. :cool:

Real doorbell, tv doorbell, barking dogs outside, on the TV, mine goes off!

There's a new TV ad for an ambulance chasing lawyer that has about a 2 kHz tone that varies in volume throughout the ad; it drives me crazy. The first time I heard it I couldn't figure out why it was so irritating, so the second time I paid more attention and heard the tone. Just to make sure it was the commercial, I muted the TV.

Jerks.

There's a new TV ad for an ambulance chasing lawyer that has about a 2 kHz tone that varies in volume throughout the ad; it drives me crazy. The first time I heard it I couldn't figure out why it was so irritating, so the second time I paid more attention and heard the tone. Just to make sure it was the commercial, I muted the TV.

Jerks.

I hate lawyer commercials.

Now it's The Venetian with this "gem"

Does it matter that Vercua Salt was the obnoxious, self absorbed, plain little daughter of a wealthy dolt?

They left out the point of the song, "I want it all, and I don't care how, I want it now."

Back