(N/A) Things that have gone by the wayside

The phone gives me one minute resolution; the web site gives me one second. I also wear a wrist watch (gasp!) and use the link to set that once in a while. Same story for the 110 year old grandfather clock in our hallway. I like accuracy.

The clock icon on the iPhone has a second hand.

what-is-clock-icon-top-iphone-screen-2.jpg

Disposable 'flash cubes' to take photographs.

Heck, pretty much anything that had to do with photography. Home developing, enlargers, print paper, black silver rings in the bath-tub.....

Heck, pretty much anything that had to do with photography. Home developing, enlargers, print paper, black silver rings in the bath-tub.....

40 some odd years ago I took a class to learn how do develop my own film and pictures...... sure wasted my time, didn't I.?? :lol::lol:

40 some odd years ago I took a class to learn how do develop my own film and pictures...... sure wasted my time, didn't I.?? :lol::lol:
I still have an enlarger and some other darkroom supplies down in my basement.

How about these signs?
fallout-shelter-sign-on-brick-260nw-616846697.jpg

of course Pilawt will remember this version:

s-l225.jpg

Push button automatic transmissions, "3 on the tree".

The last Superbird I saw on the road was in the early 90s. Pretty sure it was lime green:

Car-101002066-48aeccdb092e6f68033ba92617068c0e.jpg

Push button automatic transmissions

My dad had a '53 Plymouth (army green) that had a push button transmission. I thought that was the coolest thing ever.

Always loved the Superbird and the Dodge Charger Daytona.

The last Superbird I saw on the road was in the early 90s. Pretty sure it was lime green:

I used to love those cars when I was a teenager. I liked the Dodge Daytona which basically looked just like that.

I used to love those cars when I was a teenager. I liked the Dodge Daytona which basically looked just like that.
My dad had a '53 Plymouth (army green) that had a push button transmission. I thought that was the coolest thing ever.

Win on Sunday, sell on Monday.

Last one I saw back then, when they were being sold, was purple I think. Wild cars, cool history how they came about. I did see one at the classic car museum in Sieverville a few years ago.

My dad was a California Highway Patrolman. In the 1960s our family cars were ex-CHP cruisers purchased at auction (in those days CHP sold them at 75,000 miles).

One of our family cars was a 1960 Dodge Polara, like this one:

police.jpg

It did indeed have the pushbutton transmission. It was all black; the white door had been painted and the chrome strip replaced before the auction. Though it was a longer, heavier Polara, the CHP spec cars all had the 1960 Dodge Dart grille. With those huge fins, the empty chrome spotlight housings on the fender, and Oldsmobile spinner hubcaps, it was the Batmobile.

Then there was this one, a '66 Polara, that my wife and I drove for a while after we got married. No pushbutton transmission; it had power brakes but no power steering. It could pass anything but a filling station. Dan Aykroyd's line from Blues Brothers described it perfectly: "It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas."

Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 7.14.07 PM.png

Not sure if they were all like that, but my Beetle had an air line from the spare tire valve stem to pressurize the wiper fluid reservoir. Didn't help much, when it rained my windshield would get wet on the inside.

"I want my MTV!"

This claims to be the "official" version, but it's been through the PC edit mill and the aviation related verse has been deleted.

Not sure if they were all like that, but my Beetle had an air line from the spare tire valve stem to pressurize the wiper fluid reservoir. Didn't help much, when it rained my windshield would get wet on the inside.
That started in 1967, I think. If the spare tire got below 30 psi or so the windshield washer wouldn't work.

My folks had one in the early 60s, too. I remember climbing into the rear well behind the back seat. Seatbelts? What are they?

My folks had one in the early 60s, too. I remember climbing into the rear well behind the back seat. Seatbelts? What are they?

Ah, the good ole days. Riding up in the back window sleeping on the way home from the drive in, etc. :D

The phone gives me one minute resolution; the web site gives me one second. I also wear a wrist watch (gasp!) and use the link to set that once in a while. Same story for the 110 year old grandfather clock in our hallway. I like accuracy.
It used to bug the hell out of me that my watch was usually at least half a second off one way or the other. Now I have a nice Citizen that sets itself from WWV.

The grandfather clock Dad built in '76, though... the movement is toast. Of course the manufacturer is long gone, so I'm not sure what I'll replace it with.

Heavy duty trucks with automatic transmission (and some medium duty units) are operated with a push-button controller.

The grandfather clock Dad built in '76, though... the movement is toast. Of course the manufacturer is long gone, so I'm not sure what I'll replace it with.
Raspberry Pi and a stepper motor.

Just be sure to enable NTP.

In 1974 I bought a '57 Plymouth Fury from a school teacher for $125. Red with a white top, it had a 392 hemi (first year for that engine) and a Torqueflite with push buttons.

Someone had put a 4.11 rear end in it, the big sled moved out pretty fast. I bought it as kind of a joke because it had fins, but it was a fun car.

Do a search, companies out there that sell movements even complete grandfather clock kits. At least there used to be, maybe they’ve gone by the wayside too. :(

Maybe @Timbeck2 knows of something, he’s a woodworker.

Do a search, companies out there that sell movements even complete grandfather clock kits

Agree...I was going to mention the same thing. My grandpa and his brother both were clock makers and fixed many a clock for folks too. They have both passed unfortunately, but a quick search around your area might provide a solution if you are interested in repair.
Love the sound of the old school clocks. Not that newfangled sound :raspberry:

kidding, but might be worth the search.

I flew with a guy at the airline who’s dad built beautiful clocks. Forget the company name but he was located somewhere in PA.

Last edited:
Raspberry Pi and a stepper motor.

Just be sure to enable NTP.
Pi would be massive overkill, and a total power hog. If I were going to do something like that it would be a PIC with code written in C. Either way -- non-starter, really. I just couldn't bring myself to make it dependent on batteries or (horrors) a wall wart.

Agree...I was going to mention the same thing. My grandpa and his brother both were clock makers and fixed many a clock for folks too. They have both passed unfortunately, but a quick search around your area might provide a solution if you are interested in repair.
We had an old guy who's done clock movement repair for probably 50 years overhaul it, at considerable cost. It ran great for a few months. It's just a movement from the 1970s; they don't last forever. A complete rebuild with new bushings and all would far exceed the cost of a new (and better) movement.

Do a search, companies out there that sell movements even complete grandfather clock kits. At least there used to be, maybe they’ve gone by the wayside too. :(

Maybe @Timbeck2 knows of something, he’s a woodworker.
Yeah, I've looked at dozens of new movements. Most are too big, too elaborate for the case, or just too bloody expensive. There are options, I just haven't decided what to do with it yet. For now, it's a non-running memento. It WILL run, just won't stay running for extended periods... and the movement can't be made to shut the hell up at night. Nothing like full Westminster chimes at 3 AM. One of these days I may do something to get it back in service.

Back