Ideas for my next tattoo?

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
So my birthday is coming up and I need to start thinking about my next tattoo. I started getting one on my birthday two years ago. My last one was to honor my mother, who is 96 and went through hell at times but always did the best she could. I had it custom designed online so it unique to me and includes elements with meaning to her. She got a big kick out of it when I showed it to her.

No doubt many here do not like tats or do not see the point or whatever. OK. You are entitled to your opinion. Don't particularly need to hear your opinion in this thread but if you just can't help yourself...

I am thinking something aviation-related. Preferably round engines as I am working on the Beech 18's with the P&W R-985 Wasp Jr. engines. And I like round engines. Also thinking of a montage for my Dad, who passed in 1999. It would include the F-105 Thunderchief as he was lead tool-and-die maker on that airplane along with perhaps his WW2 unit badge.

So if you have a cool tattoo idea or linky, bring it on :)

IMG_6522.jpg IMAG0797.jpg

As much as I like looking at good tattoos I also think it’s pretty weird for you (or anyone) to ask other people what they think you should get permanently drilled in ink into your arm or wherever you’re going to get it. It’s your body, get what you like.

With that being said, make sure it’s a low wing, you don’t want to immediately regret a high wing tat.

As much as I like looking at good tattoos I also think it’s pretty weird for you (or anyone) to ask other people what they think you should get permanently drilled in ink into your arm or wherever you’re going to get it. It’s your body, get what you like.

With that being said, make sure it’s a low wing, you don’t want to immediately regret a high wing tat.

i appreciate ideas. Whatever I get will be unique to me.

If we’re actually going to give ideas on what tattoo to get, than I would get a tattoo of the POA logo so you can always remember where the idea for the tattoo came from.

I'm thinking about an aviation themed tattoo for my next one, maybe a photorealistic image of the plane I use to pass my checkride and get my PPL, prominently displaying the registration number and the date.

Having turned 50 and got my first tattoo a year ago, I want to get things that are important to me, and will still have significance for the rest of my life. And I have plenty of real estate available, since my only visible one so far is on my right forearm.

So I would say, if aviation and engines are significant to you, definitely go down that route.

Also, keep an eye out for tattoo conventions in your area. There's one coming up this weekend in Denver that I plan on going to, mainly to get some ideas and see what artists are out there locally.

I stopped by a bookstore this weekend and they had some recent books on tattoos I was thumbing through getting ideas. One artist really impressed me. Mattia Mambo, who does "deconstructed" tattoos that I really like. His Instagram is at: https://www.instagram.com/mambotattooer/

Now, I wouldn't want an armful of these, and the style isn't going to appeal to everybody, but one or two would be cool as I really like his style. I'm also a pizza fanatic, and like the one he did of a pizza slice: https://www.instagram.com/p/BnRWS7yHl-t/?taken-by=mambotattooer

Only problem is, he's based in Italy and doesn't visit the US, so if I wanted one of his, it would make for a VERY expensive tattoo traveling to Europe to have one done by him.

Anyway, good luck in your decision, and enjoy the ink! I found designing mine, and working with the artist, just as enjoyable as getting the tattoo itself.

Thanks. That IS a cool style of tattooing. I went with American traditional from my mom-themed tattoo. One out-there tattooing style that I like is trash polka but I don’t think I’m actually going to get a tattoo like that. I got inspired to get my first tattoo a few years back by watching tons of episodes of Ink Master on one of the streaming channels. I learned a lot about the different styles and to tell good technique from bad.

If I don’t go with the one for my dad next, then it will be probably be black and gray prominently featuring a radial engine.

I'm thinking about an aviation themed tattoo for my next one, maybe a photorealistic image of the plane I use to pass my checkride and get my PPL, prominently displaying the registration number and the date.

Having turned 50 and got my first tattoo a year ago, I want to get things that are important to me, and will still have significance for the rest of my life. And I have plenty of real estate available, since my only visible one so far is on my right forearm.

So I would say, if aviation and engines are significant to you, definitely go down that route.

Also, keep an eye out for tattoo conventions in your area. There's one coming up this weekend in Denver that I plan on going to, mainly to get some ideas and see what artists are out there locally.

I stopped by a bookstore this weekend and they had some recent books on tattoos I was thumbing through getting ideas. One artist really impressed me. Mattia Mambo, who does "deconstructed" tattoos that I really like. His Instagram is at: https://www.instagram.com/mambotattooer/

Now, I wouldn't want an armful of these, and the style isn't going to appeal to everybody, but one or two would be cool as I really like his style. I'm also a pizza fanatic, and like the one he did of a pizza slice: https://www.instagram.com/p/BnRWS7yHl-t/?taken-by=mambotattooer

Only problem is, he's based in Italy and doesn't visit the US, so if I wanted one of his, it would make for a VERY expensive tattoo traveling to Europe to have one done by him.

Anyway, good luck in your decision, and enjoy the ink! I found designing mine, and working with the artist, just as enjoyable as getting the tattoo itself.

Not sure about designing it online and trying to get a tattoo artist to basically act like a skin photocopy machine.

Tattoo artists are IMO like a CFI, find one who’s style you like and talk to him about your idea and go that route.

Lots of really good pinup style artists out there.

Not the style you’re after, but this guy is REALLY good.
http://gogueart.com/

A Raisin. That's what anything you get is going to like anyway if you live long enough

Well at 80 I don’t think I’m going to care about how I look naked, also there are lots of Japanese style pieces that aged VERY well as history has shown.

Enough of a art that the getty museum has gotten involved in it.

https://www.getty.edu/art/collectio...d-von-stillfried-japanese-tattoo-1870s-1890s/

Last edited:
Not sure about designing it online and trying to get a tattoo artist to basically act like a skin photocopy machine.

Tattoo artists are IMO like a CFI, find one who’s style you like and talk to him about your idea and go that route.

Very true! I found the basic design for mine after days of looking over Google images and DeviantArt (DeviantArt is a great resource for inspiration), then I printed out a rough design at various sizes, cut them out, and got the size/placement I thought I'd like best.

I uploaded my files to Dropbox so the artist could access them, and took my printouts to him for a design session, and relied heavily on his experience and suggestions to come up with the final design, size, and placement, and it turned out great.

I knew what overall design I wanted, but he knew best how to modify it and put finishing touches on it so it came out looking great. To me, the best finished tattoo is going to be a true collaboration between the client and the artist.

As great as my artist was for mine (which is kind of a heavy black tribal animal), I'd always want to pick an artist that specializes in the style I want. Ink Master has been a great way to learn also, and it's apparent to me that no matter how good the artist is, they usually have a style the excel in, and anything outside that style can be... iffy. So I'd always want to find somebody who's an expert in the style I want. Fortunately, there's a lot of great artists out there - some really talented people!

So not a Tattoo guy but if your going to get one, I’d go with something that is important to you vs. something that is just cool. The “dad” montage may be nice. If your going with something that has round engines I’d stay way from the Beech 18. Two engines just means more Mx LOL.

Hmm. When someone puts aviation and tattoo together this is what comes to my mind. :cool:

https://www.airtattoo.com/

Good luck with the creative investigations.

Hmm. When someone puts aviation and tattoo together this is what comes to my mind. :cool:

https://www.airtattoo.com/

Good luck with the creative investigations.

I visited Edinburgh back in the 90s, and I've always wanted to return for the Military Tattoo, especially to see the "lone piper" at closing.

Come to think of it (and I literally just now thought of it)... that visit to Scotland was so special, and I loved it so much, I really should incorporate something Scottish into a future tattoo. I love Scotland and the Scots and would love to have a Scottish themed tattoo. Gonna have to think on that....

Each prick of a tattoo needle kills one brain cell so get a small tattoo.

She was no marine back from the Philippines
She was their pride and joy, their incarnation.
Her parents viewed the chief
With shock and disbelief
Looking for some other explanation.

The Indian, her back was poised for an attack.
She said 'a tattoo is a badge of validation'.
But the truth of the matter is far more revealing.
It's a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling.

Permanent reminder of a temporary feeling
Amnesic episodes that never go away.
It's no complex memento, it's no subtle revealing.
Just a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling.

Vegas in the rain, drunk on cheap champagne
He hears out of tune synthesized chapel bells
Painfully ringing.
Where's his limo ride? Who's this foreign bride?
Is this really Elvis spinning round the ceiling?

Permanent reminder of a temporary feeling,
Forgotten fabrications in the chapels of love.
What is this ring on his finger? Why is he kneeling?
She's just a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling.

Chromosomes and genes, spawn these fateful scenes.
Evolution can be mean, there's no 'dumb ass' vaccine.
Blame your DNA, you're a victim of your fate.
It's human nature to miscalculate.

To make up for the fight they go out for the night.
Sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll seems like the easiest answer.
But a short nine months later, there's no way of concealing,
That permanent reminder of a temporary feeling.

Permanent reminder of a temporary feeling
Amnesic episodes that never go away.
Complex mementos, not subtle revealings.
Just a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling.

~Jimmy Buffet

And Jimmy also sang this:

Don't know the reason,
Stayed here all season
With nothing to show but this brand new tattoo.
But it's a real beauty,
A Mexican cutie, how it got here
I haven't a clue.

post #24 biplane tattoo.... vintage 1981...... been flying the biplane for 42 years.

Mill puking out parts for a partially complete radial and a partial complete Thud, each eating the parts.

I've never been tattooed, but as a 76 year old Air Force vet (E-4 1961-1965), I've recently thought about an AAF insignia on my upper right shoulder. So far, I'm undecided.

USAAF%20Insignia_zpsnc3wklpp.jpg

If a tattoo is relevant to your life....go for it, Don't just pick an image out of a catalog at the artist's shop.

Not a tat guy but if I were to get one I would, like you mentioned, get one to honor my Dad he was a heavy mortar man in the Korean War in the 45th Infantry Division, I would get the Division patch. Interesting note the units original symbol was a swastika

45thIBCTSSI.png

So my birthday is coming up and I need to start thinking about my next tattoo. I started getting one on my birthday two years ago. My last one was to honor my mother, who is 96 and went through hell at times but always did the best she could. I had it custom designed online so it unique to me and includes elements with meaning to her. She got a big kick out of it when I showed it to her.
View attachment 67453 View attachment 67454

Your mother was Betty Boop?

Wear it with pride! Thank you for your service. My older brother was an AF lifer. Maintenance. Served multiple tours in SE Asia back in the day and was last posted as maintenance chief at Patrick AFB here in FL.

I've never been tattooed, but as a 76 year old Air Force vet (E-4 1961-1965), I've recently thought about an AAF insignia on my upper right shoulder. So far, I'm undecided.

USAAF%20Insignia_zpsnc3wklpp.jpg

No doubt many here do not like tats or do not see the point or whatever. OK. You are entitled to your opinion. Don't particularly need to hear your opinion in this thread but if you just can't help yourself...

I am thinking something aviation-related. Preferably round engines as I am working on the Beech 18's with the P&W R-985 Wasp Jr. engines. And I like round engines. Also thinking of a montage for my Dad, who passed in 1999. It would include the F-105 Thunderchief as he was lead tool-and-die maker on that airplane along with perhaps his WW2 unit badge.

So if you have a cool tattoo idea or linky, bring it on :)

View attachment 67453 View attachment 67454

Thud gets my vote! Bad ass fighter-bomber, lost nearly half of ‘em in Southeast Asia, shot down or accidents. Something like 8-850 built.

21C49AF8-DF84-48C5-8AD5-0287F7211B19.jpeg

Back