How to hand prop a Cirrus (A Satire)

Still can't get over the fact that he ran across the prop as the plan was accelerating forward! He really took the "it's better to be lucky than good" thing to the extreme!

That was the first thing I noticed....I mean besides seeing the plane was going to take off by itself... but after watching it a few times it appears he was aware of the prop as he planned to jump on the wing in his desperate attempt to pull the chute....which I an sure he was attempting to do...

Pretty sure the Cirrus POH says to not to attempt to jump start a Cirrus, rather you should recharge the battery with a charger and fix whatever caused the discharge.

From the 2018 sr 20 POH

• Caution • Do not use external power to start the airplane with a ‘dead’ battery or to charge a dead or weak battery in the airplane. The battery must be removed from the airplane and battery maintenance performed in accordance with the appropriate AMM procedures.
You do have probably somewhere near six figures worth of electronics/avionics to protect.

1749e89bca1727e34f472445f30f6c41.jpg

You do have probably somewhere near six figures worth of electronics/avionics to protect.
In the auto industry, at least some companies have figured out that your local tow truck operator has a 24 volt setting on his jump start system for your 12 volt car, or will hook things up backwards and make sure that the expensive electronics are protected for significant over voltage etc. Perhaps some day, the G.A. industry will catch up with the auto industry.

So I think the SR22 has an IO520 or something like that. How the hell do you hand prop that? My Bo has an IO530 and hand propping that would be a bear.

So I think the SR22 has an IO520 or something like that. How the hell do you hand prop that? My Bo has an IO530 and hand propping that would be a bear.
Wow....is that a Lycoming or TCM...or a new hybrid?o_O

Will the insurance company payout on this? It seems like a clear case of dumbassery, I mean, negligence, all caught on tape.

Insurance? AN interesting turn of events.

Pretty sure the Cirrus POH says to not to attempt to jump start a Cirrus, rather you should recharge the battery with a charger and fix whatever caused the discharge.

From the 2018 sr 20 POH

• Caution • Do not use external power to start the airplane with a ‘dead’ battery or to charge a dead or weak battery in the airplane. The battery must be removed from the airplane and battery maintenance performed in accordance with the appropriate AMM procedures.
Jargon created by an attorney for just this reason. And well played apparently

Will the insurance company payout on this? It seems like a clear case of dumbassery, I mean, negligence, all caught on tape.
Yes, that's what insurance is for. Many years ago my parents owned a business that specialized in damage restoration after fire and/or flooding.

The cause of the majority of cases fell into the category of "what the actual F were you thinking?"

Jargon created by an attorney for just this reason. And well played apparently

Nah, lawyers aren't that smart about this stuff for that imo. It is kind of dumb to launch in an all electric airplane with a dead battery that you've jump started or hand propped. The alternator needs juice to work, the contactors for the batteries need juice to work and the contactors for the alternators need juice to work. Especially if any type of weather is nearby.

well...if you had two cars...it could work. :confused:

We actually did this once for my Cirrus - used two cars and cables to come up with the requisite 24v.

I do recall the cautions about having a depleted battery charged while flying. But Lord knows I’ve done it dozens of times to know apparent ill effect*. It does, however, leave one with little or no reserve if the charging takes a dump early in flight.

*I do recall a Diamond Twinstar that came to grief this way, though.

I do recall the cautions about having a depleted battery charged while flying. But Lord knows I’ve done it dozens of times to know apparent ill effect*.

*I do recall a Diamond Twinstar that came to grief this way, though.

Yup - Again, not following POH procedures, which specifically stated that it was NOT allowed to start both engines from ground power - One engine could be started from ground power, but then it must be run until the battery had enough oomph to start the second engine from onboard power.

So, what happened with the TwinStar was that they started both engines off ground power, and didn't have enough juice coming from the alternators to do much in the way of charging the battery before takeoff. They took off, and when they raised the (electric) landing gear, that was enough to drop the system voltage to the point that all four engine computers kicked offline, causing a dual engine failure and subsequent immediate unscheduled return to earth (and, of course, an AD for a backup battery system on the engine computers even for those who do follow POH procedures).

Whoops.

Adam, pretty sure yours is a 520. The 530 is a Garmin, not an engine. ;)

The SR22 has always had a 550 of some form. It is possible to hand prop one although I wouldn't bother trying. I just charge the battery.

not one with SoS.....and a dead battery. SoS with a weak battery doesn't work all that well. o_O

The insurance companies pay off on car accidents. And the majority of those are driver error.
So does my malpractice I’m told. But there is this neat gross negligence clause for which they have an out. Rarely used.

From the 2018 sr 20 POH

Did you put 'dead' in quotes or did they? There's dead as in the lights won't even come on and then there's depleted as in not quite enough oomph to overcome compression.

Did you put 'dead' in quotes or did they? There's dead as in the lights won't even come on and then there's depleted as in not quite enough oomph to overcome compression.
They put the dead in quotes. Dead is up for some discussion though. If the battery is really dead, my understanding is that the external power won't connect because it runs through a contactor that is pulled in with battery power. I'm going with the POH recommendation if it ever happens to me.

Depends on how you spin it.
Yep it will depend on the spin.
The Insurance company will tell the pilot we have you on video hand starting the plane.
The Pilot replies: No Sir, I had no idea the master switch was on. All I was doing with the prop was moving it so the tug would not hit the prop. All of a sudden the engine started and I tried my best to stop it!!!
Spin complete :)

Yep it will depend on the spin.
The Insurance company will tell the pilot we have you on video hand starting the plane.
The Pilot replies: No Sir, I had no idea the master switch was on. All I was doing with the prop was moving it so the tug would not hit the prop. All of a sudden the engine started and I tried my best to stop it!!!
Spin complete :)

Not that the master switch being on or off would make a big difference.

Good chance this is totalled. 2005 bird needing a new wing, motor/teardown, front landing gear, and front end/firewall damage repaired.

Plane is likely 250-300k and damage will 75% or more of this value.

One stupid pilot...

Back