aviationweather.gov

drgwentzel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kobra
Flyers,

I was just wondering if others here have the same frustration as me with aviationweather.gov.

First, I want to say that I use this site almost everyday and recommend it to my students all the time. It has great information.

Unfortunately, this website is optimized for a computer. The government should understand by now that in modern times 95% or more of current pilots use their smart phones and tablets to access this site.

The problem is that many pieces of information, such as, GAIRMET pages used to provide important information, cannot display all the text written in the detail box if it beyond a certain number of words. On a smart phone or tablet, the information in the box cannot be scrolled, cannot stay enlarged to read, and when we let go of our zoom action, the box flys off to parts unknown on the screen. Lastly, when we attempt to zoom in on a pilot report or graphical METAR, etc., as soon as we let go, the map stays zoomed, but the boxed we needed to enlarge to read snaps right back to its original unreadable size! Clearly, the designers do not think pilots use anything but a computer to access their site and have no need to access the site away from home or the office.

My suggestion is that the site should be re-designed so phones and tablets have the same functionality, or just make a dedicated App version that we can download. This way the site isn't half-A$$ed for both computers AND tablets, but each app is designed to optimize function for the device intended.

Gene

This is an example of why I bring a notebook computer on my flights in addition to my smart phone.

Fortunately there are app developers who translate the info into more useful presentations. Try Aeroweather or ask your pilot friends what they use. If I use Aeroweather and select nearby airports my locals are at the top of the list and as I scroll down it includes airports further out. METARs, TAFs, radar imagery, airport maps, webcams at and around airports, NOTAMs, etc, all right there. I haven’t used NOAA’s aviation weather in years.

Last edited:
99% of my aviationweather.gov flight planning is done at home on the computater. the rest that I get on my phone is good enough to get me the info I need, but I hear ya, in today's world it should be coded for mobile devices too.

In Aeroweather you can change how it shows the wind, to show if the wind is to or from. Go to Settings then Format and scroll down towards the bottom. I have it set for the wind to show where it's From and Data Format to show raw.

And the new Aeroweather update added runway depictions with headwind and crosswind components. They even do it for the waterlanes at Lake Hood. Useful.

It's not .gov. It's the contractor that was hired to build the website that the Feds approved many years ago, long before mobile was the primary device. The contractor that completely forgot that the rule these days - and has been for at least 5 years - is mobile first. It's RWD - Responsive Web Design - that "recognizes" the display and generates the correct layout for that display.

So go complain to the contractor. Unfortunately, the contractor will reply - the Feds won't give us any more money to re-do the website. Or, the original contractor is long gone, and the company with the maintenance contract (yeah, right, someone is maintaining it) replies the Feds won't give them money to re-do the website.

There's a Feedback option at the top right tab of the website. Provide feedback. Never know what will happen.

EFBs use the same raw data used on the .gov site. I just use the EFB. I know, its not free. But, you get what you pay for.

The first problem with the site is that it goes down randomly for inordinate periods of time. (Perhaps they need to replace the flux capacitators in the mainframe computators.) Anyway, after they fix that, then we can talk about the UI...

It's not .gov. It's the contractor that was hired to build the website that the Feds approved many years ago, long before mobile was the primary device. The contractor that completely forgot that the rule these days - and has been for at least 5 years - is mobile first. It's RWD - Responsive Web Design - that "recognizes" the display and generates the correct layout for that display.

So go complain to the contractor. Unfortunately, the contractor will reply - the Feds won't give us any more money to re-do the website. Or, the original contractor is long gone, and the company with the maintenance contract (yeah, right, someone is maintaining it) replies the Feds won't give them money to re-do the website.

There's a Feedback option at the top right tab of the website. Provide feedback. Never know what will happen.

Same problem us airports have had with the online NOTAM manager. A lot of us airports are issuing NOTAMs in the field, especially during snow ops. Yet the website is desktop optimized and is clunky to use on anything touch screen. We have begged for a mobile optimized site or app, but all we hear is there is no money for that, it isn’t a priority, despite it being the number one request of airport users.

Fortunately there are app developers who translate the info into more useful presentations. Try Aeroweather or ask your pilot friends what they use. If I use Aeroweather and select nearby airports my locals are at the top of the list and as I scroll down it includes airports further out. METARs, TAFs, radar imagery, airport maps, webcams at and around airports, NOTAMs, etc, all right there. I haven’t used NOAA’s aviation weather in years.

Is it AeroweatherLite & AeroweatherPro? Trying to find it.

I use "Aviation Weather" from NOAA on my phone. I like that I can get the METAR and TAF from my home airport and the "Surface Progs" "tab" allows me to see the sites around my airport and as a VFR pilot, I can readily see that I have "green lights" on my trip.

Yea, I did send feedback using that link. Thanks for all the info...much appreciated!

Gene

I have a friend who works for the government and his answer to you would be (said to me many times) "We are the government, we are not allowed to be efficient".

Back