Multi Commercial or Single Commercial first?

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
Hey guys,

Someone mentioned in my other thread about doing the multi first since I have no complex time and I could do the multi to knock out two birds with one stone. My original plan was single engine commercial first - do 10 hours complex in whatever and then do the maneuvers and checkride in my Cherokee 140. After this I would go do the Multi Commercial.

My concern is that doing the multi engine commercial first will still probably cost me more in the long run. I am cash flowing this (I don't take loans or finance) so doing my training in the most economical fashion is a priority. That said I am very open to the idea of doing multi engine first.

I did multi-comm first, then the single engine add on was a 30 minute flight in a C-152. I mean the examiner had to look for things to make the oral and flight last an hour.

I did multi-comm first, then the single engine add on was a 30 minute flight in a C-152. I mean the examiner had to look for things to make the oral and flight last an hour.

Hmmm...thanks for the feedback.

Anyone else have any feedback?

If you are 100% certain you plan to earn the multi anyway, this might save you money. Personally I prefer the building-block method of learning which implies single-engine commercial first.

If you are 100% certain you plan to earn the multi anyway, this might save you money. Personally I prefer the building-block method of learning which implies single-engine commercial first.

Thanks for the feedback. No doubt I’ll be doing single engine and multi engine right after each other (or vice versa).

why is the CMEL necessary if the regional airlines are the goal? Keeping the door open for part 91/135 work?

why is the CMEL necessary if the regional airlines are the goal? Keeping the door open for part 91/135 work?

I swore I saw that most regionals want 25 hours multi, but maybe I need to recheck that. Wouldn’t you need a CMEL for the regionals anyways?

But yes regardless it might be a good thing to have for 91/135...might be some opportunities instead of CFI until 1500

I swore I saw that most regionals want 25 hours multi, but maybe I need to recheck that. Wouldn’t you need a CMEL for the regionals anyways?

You will need at least 25 hours and it isn’t because the airlines say so. The answer is in the regulations...

I alluded to this in your other thread but I see no way that doing the multi first is going to be cheaper. The only benefit to doing the multi first and paying for those hours is that you’re closer to the minimum 25 that you’ll need. But you’re farther away from an MEI because you need 15 hours PIC to get your MEI.

To me you’re making a bigger deal out of all this than necessary. Just go find a place with a complex or TAA and train for your commercial SE checkride. I see no reason you will need more than 10 hours to be checkride ready, assuming you’ve got the other requirements met when starting.

You will need at least 25 hours and it isn’t because the airlines say so. The answer is in the regulations...

I alluded to this in your other thread but I see no way that doing the multi first is going to be cheaper. The only benefit to doing the multi first and paying for those hours is that you’re closer to the minimum 25 that you’ll need. But you’re farther away from an MEI because you need 15 hours PIC to get your MEI.

To me you’re making a bigger deal out of all this than necessary. Just go find a place with a complex or TAA and train for your commercial SE checkride. I see no reason you will need more than 10 hours to be checkride ready, assuming you’ve got the other requirements met when starting.

Sorry I in no way meant to make a big deal out of this. I simply asked so I could get some experienced opinions on what the most efficient and cost effective route may be.

Thanks for clarifying

Hi.
Unless you want to spend a lot / more money you have your own answer below. Do as much as you can Single, then Multi.

My concern is that doing the multi engine commercial first will still probably cost me more in the long run.

If you do the multi comm first then you need to make sure you meet several general flight time, night, solo or "simulated solo", and cross-country requirements in the multi, whereas all of those go all away except for the 3 hours of preparation for the practical test when it's an added class rating to an existing commercial. Very difficult to figure out which is cheaper. In the pre-1500-hour days, the main hiring criteria at airlines was how much multi time you had, with competitive minimums being at least 50 to 100 hours, so the aforementioned requirements weren't seen as an added cost (thus ATP Flight School's business model of doing almost everything multi). But that's no longer the case.

If you do the multi comm first then you need to make sure you meet several general flight time, night, solo or "simulated solo", and cross-country requirements in the multi, whereas all of those go all away except for the 3 hours of preparation for the practical test when it's an added class rating to an existing commercial. Very difficult to figure out which is cheaper. In the pre-1500-hour days, the main hiring criteria at airlines was how much multi time you had, with competitive minimums being at least 50 to 100 hours, so the aforementioned requirements weren't seen as an added cost (thus ATP Flight School's business model of doing almost everything multi). But that's no longer the case.

Ohhh alright. Thanks for clarifying. No doubt single engine is the way to go then.

To a point it is still this way. I didn’t give the OP the reason for the 25 hour requirement the airlines have (I was hoping he’d look it up) but they require it. As far as I know they don’t care whether it is PIC or not.

I’m not in a hiring position so I don’t know how people view it but I feel like doing the add on and then flying after the checkride, gaining multi PIC time is more valuable than doing 20 hours of training with only a few of those hours being PIC. Even more valuable would be PIC time earned while instructing. This way you’re actually making decisions and being responsible for the outcome of the flight rather than having your hand held by someone else for the whole time. If the OP is airline bound however, it probably doesn’t matter much in the current job market.

Ohhh alright. Thanks for clarifying. No doubt single engine is the way to go then.

Check, I think it is 61.129. Some of the requirements for commercial were met while training for private and instrument. I am assuming you have at least 250 hours by now and cross countries done.

As said before, meet all the requirments in a single engine. I did that by renting a 152 and flying almost every day. Then I jumped into the multi to meet the rest of the requirements like retract and controllable pitch props and the 5 hours instrument time in a multi. All that took 15 hours for me, take the multi commercial and the single engine add on will be a cake walk.

I really enjoyed the commercial training....I was finally starting to feel like a real pilot...that was when the fun kicked in..!!

Check, I think it is 61.129. Some of the requirements for commercial were met while training for private and instrument. I am assuming you have at least 250 hours by now and cross countries done.

As said before, meet all the requirments in a single engine. I did that by renting a 152 and flying almost every day. Then I jumped into the multi to meet the rest of the requirements like retract and controllable pitch props and the 5 hours instrument time in a multi. All that took 15 hours for me, take the multi commercial and the single engine add on will be a cake walk.

I really enjoyed the commercial training....I was finally starting to feel like a real pilot...that was when the fun kicked in..!!

It's not possible in 15 hours. The legal minimum would be 20 -- 10 hours of dual training under 61.129(b)(3)(ii) and 10 hours of solo or "simulated solo" under 61.129(b)(4). And only if you are able to to successfully combine those 20 hours with the instrument, night, and cross-country requirements. The legal minimum for a multiengine add-on rating to an existing pilot certificate would be only the 3 hours within 2 calendar months of the practical test.

Back