Mattress advice? (NA)

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
So many new options in mattresses these days. I would like to find a mattress that helps with back pain. I sleep on a cheap mattress without a box spring because I threw my old set away and just bought something temporary at Big Lots. I see these ads on YT for the purple mattress and other "mattress in a box" options. I get a bit of lower back pain that I think might come from my mattress. I am a side-sleeper, if that makes any difference.

Suggestions for a good mattress? Thanks in advance!

I have used sleep number for years. Works great, I can adjust level of firmness based on if sleeping on my back or side.
We also have a Temporpedic (sp?) In the guest room which is very good.
Lastly, a couple of friends due to back pain have switch to sleeping in hammocks or huge bean bags. Both conform to you body offering solid support and force you to sleep on your back instead of side or stomach.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Sleep EZ is fantastic but expensive. We have the 13" 4 layer foam: extra firm, firm, medium and soft from lowest to top in that order. It is the best for my low back pain but I don't think I'd buy it today because of the cost.

We bought another much less expensive brand of foam - I think it's memory foam- 11 or 12" single piece twin for a guest room and that is reasonably comfortable, we placed it without box springs on slats.

I bought the Sleep EZ several years ago. It was so expensive because they manufacture it here in the U.S. They provide consultation and recommendations depending on your weight, what position you sleep in and you can customize the right and left sides of king (maybe queen too).

I'm a side sleeper too and I need very firm support so the mattress doesn't "bowl" but also very soft surface or it hurts my hip and shoulder. The foam layers I have going from extra firm to soft on their foundation provides both. I totally love this mattress and if money is no object I'd say go for it.

Not the cheapest option, but I like my Flobed. Customizable sections of the mattress to have more softness where you need it (shoulders and hips) and firmness elsewhere. Each side of the bed can be customized for each sleeper. Interchangeable and replaceable natural latex blocks are highly durable and should one wear down, just buy the one block not a whole new mattress. It also sleeps fairly cool, not as hot as memory foam.

Could in theory be the last whole mattress you ever buy. Very comfortable, like a cross between and regular and memory foam mattress.

Thinking about it further. It has been years but I really liked the water bed I had in my early twenties. Whatever happened to them?

I got a memory foam mattress that came in a box from sears, I was skeptical but it was cheap (like 300ish for a queen) and some folks said it was a good bed, honestly WOW, its really comfy, and I cant tell the difference between it and a multi thousand dollar foam one.

I am ABLE to spend any amount but I do not LIKE to overpay for things.

I have gotten a few mattresses for various things and learned quite a bit. In store mattresses sales are worse than used car sales meaning that they will haggle to the death to close a deal. If you go in end of of the month or better end of the quarter you can negotiate 25% to 50% off list price. Sicker price is for suckers.

How do you try before you fly?
That’s big bucks to only find out a week later that your body doesn’t like the bed.

Many of the companies with the non-traditional mattress offer 90-100 day trial periods, eg Casper, Sleep Number, etc. Check out the websites, see what the rules are.

My wife and I have been using Sleep Number beds for over 20 years and are very happy with them. Kept our first one for almost 20 years and bought a new one about 2 years ago. I'm pretty sure they still offer a trial period, but I don't know the details.

Laid up with lower back pain all week. I started sleeping on the floor and it's actually better than any mattress I've ever used! Funny thing, I remember my father would occasionally sleep on the floor when I was a kid. It never occurred to me how much relief he got from it, or that I'd find myself doing the same one day.

Looks like I am probably going to spend in the neighborhood of $600 for a twin from one of the new guys (Loom & Leaf, Purple, Nectar, Dreamcloud, etc.). Twin because I am remodeling and moved a bunch of stuff into my bedroom (sofa, coffee table, shelving), not leaving much room for a bed. I will replace the queen bed I threw out in the future. Tempurpedic is right up there but significantly more $$. Any word on these new brands is appreciated.

started sleeping on the floor

You don’t know how less weird it makes me feel to hear someone else does this!!
Can only sleep on ‘rock slab’ type mattresses (I never get any sleep in any hotel) and often seek out the floor.
Have been accused of odd sleeping behavior b/c of this!

So (for us non city-livers) at worst we’d be stuck with return shipping?
Hey does that mean they are reselling ‘lightly used’ mattresses?

Probably. I just looked at Loom & Leaf and they charge $99 to return. They also say they NEVER restock returned mattresses. I think one of the others had free returns (edit - it's Nectar).

You don’t know how less weird it makes me feel to hear someone else does this!!
Can only sleep on ‘rock slab’ type mattresses (I never get any sleep in any hotel) and often seek out the floor.
Have been accused of odd sleeping behavior b/c of this!
Glad to have you as a partner. By all accounts of those who know me, I AM weird :D

Have a Sleep Number with a motorized platform at one house and an original Temperpedic at the other. I prefer the Temperpedic unless wifey leaves a window open and the room cools off. Amazing how hard that mattress feels when the room is 5* below normal. The Sleep Number replaced a Temperpedic. Didn't like the second one at all. Can't say what they changed but it wasn't the same.

Beware of user reports because mattress companies change their stuff all the time. You can't get the Sleep Number I have any more. And like I said, my original Temperpedic is great but the newer ones are different. Go try a few out and see what YOU like.

Last edited:
Any word on these new brands is appreciated.
If you didn't have me on ignore, you would have seen what I wrote. :)

Also, in addition to the pillows that I didn't like, Nectar had the mattress packed in this huge duffel bag inside a huge zip bag that were both too good to throw away. In spite of the fact that I have absolutely no use for either of them.

If you didn't have me on ignore, you would have seen what I wrote. :)

Also, in addition to the pillows that I didn't like, Nectar had the mattress packed in this huge duffel bag inside a huge zip bag that were both too good to throw away. In spite of the fact that I have absolutely no use for either of them.

Sorry, I saw your post and appreciate the advice. Thanks,

Try before you buy!!

We went with the Savvy Rest after trying out a bunch of different models.

https://savvyrest.com

$2600 Queen size, included set of sheets and pillows, delivered, set up and old mattress disposal. The wife likes a softer bed than I, and Savvy Rest (and a few others) allow different "softness" on each side. Didn't care for the memory foam, or the less dense urethane foams, although some swear by it. The natural foam latex is very good at isolating movement from the other person. Not nearly as "bouncy" as a spring mattress. While the new mattress didn't eliminate the morning back soreness/stiffness, it did eliminate most of it.

Pricy, but after 6 months of use, very satisfied.

Thinking about it further. It has been years but I really liked the water bed I had in my early twenties. Whatever happened to them?

My husband had a waterbed in his twenties too. So one day, not long after I moved in, I'm sitting up in bed hand sewing a button or something and I was in the habit of sticking my sewing needle straight into the mattress beside me, temporarily stowing it whilst I did whatever. So I'm proceeding to sew and I sense a growing pool of wetness around me. "Oh ****!" I had just been owned by my own mindless habit. :( I then got to learn how to patch a waterbed.

One thing I've discovered is that I don't like "memory foam." Another is that a mattress that feels good in the store doesn't necessarily feel good after I get one delivered.

Last edited:
My husband had a waterbed in his twenties too. So one day, not long after I moved in, I'm sitting up in bed hand sewing a button or something and I was in the habit of sticking my sewing needle straight into the mattress beside me, temporarily stowing it whilst I did whatever. So I'm proceeding to sew and I sense a growing pool of wetness around me. "Oh ****!" I had just been owned by my own mindless habit. :( I then got to learn how to patch a waterbed.

Lol. Awesome.

My parents had one as well as myself (first big kid bed). I loved that thing. Cool in summer, heating pad in the winter kept it warm. I like them filled up to the top so that it’s firm, but the wife likes softer beds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tempurpedic for 15 years, recently switched to a Casper. I don't like it as much, but it's ok.

My wife got a Purple pillow. It’s very heavy - 11.5 lbs. She’s finding it works for her. We’re considering the mattress but haven’t decided yet.

My wife got a Purple pillow. It’s very heavy - 11.5 lbs. She’s finding it works for her. We’re considering the mattress but haven’t decided yet.

Saw a YT review of the Purple mattress. He had the pillow and remarked on how heavy it was. Also on how bad it smelled. The king mattress he ordered weighed over 200 lbs!

Looks like I am probably going to spend in the neighborhood of $600 for a twin from one of the new guys (Loom & Leaf, Purple, Nectar, Dreamcloud, etc.). Twin because I am remodeling and moved a bunch of stuff into my bedroom (sofa, coffee table, shelving), not leaving much room for a bed. I will replace the queen bed I threw out in the future. Tempurpedic is right up there but significantly more $$. Any word on these new brands is appreciated.

If you liked tempurpedic you can find a generic equivalent for a few hundred. Analyze the weight and foam type of the layers on the name brand to find a good generic alternative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought a memory foam from Sams club for just under $400 queen size. It was a gift. It's approx 4 years old and doing well.

The mattress I sleep on is a Sealy Talalay Latex foam with pillow top.
The pillow top is pretty much worn out as it's 8 years old now.
I'm about to cut the pillow top off, place a mattress cover on it and see how it does. If it's not suitable, I may put a 3" memory foam topper on it.
I like experimenting.

If I end up buying new, I'll likely go for the Layla.
I don't buy into the copper infusion stuff, but it's priced reasonable compared to the others, gets good reviews, and is flippable with two different firmness sides.
and....
120 NIGHT TRIAL

FREE SHIPPING AND RETURNS

MADE IN USA

LIFE TIME WARRANTY

https://laylasleep.com/

Saw a YT review of the Purple mattress. He had the pillow and remarked on how heavy it was. Also on how bad it smelled. The king mattress he ordered weighed over 200 lbs!

The pillow takes a few days to offgas, but once it does it’s fine. My wife is extremely sensitive to smells and it doesn’t bother her now.

So many new options in mattresses these days. I would like to find a mattress that helps with back pain. I sleep on a cheap mattress without a box spring because I threw my old set away and just bought something temporary at Big Lots. I see these ads on YT for the purple mattress and other "mattress in a box" options. I get a bit of lower back pain that I think might come from my mattress. I am a side-sleeper, if that makes any difference.

Suggestions for a good mattress? Thanks in advance!
Haven't bought anything yet, but am considering doing so soon. I have noticed that I like the beds in Hampton Inn hotels - and have also noticed that they sell them,
too: https://www.shophampton.com/category.aspx?hampton-inn-bedding

May be worth checking out next time you travel (try before you buy!).

Dave

I went the route of the Casper Mattress. Delivered in a Box to my door. I love it and I have had some friends buy it as well with no complaints. I think they do a 100-day trial and if you don't like it they will come get it.

Back