Fast Eddie & Kool Karen's (excellent?) Pole Barn Adventure

I had a whole lotta catching up to do in this thread. Congrats, it looks awesome!

That runway is just begging for a biplane . . . . .

Or something like...

1954_Cessna_180_%28N3890C%29_%283864970653%29.jpg

I’d definitely need an A&P partner for anything like that - I’ve been spoiled by the freedom of doing my own work on my E-LSA Sky Arrow.

But it would be darn handy for hauling our 3 dogs back and forth!

The area in front of the hangar was seeded, then some grass mat or some such thing was laid on top.

Nasty stuff.

I went for a little afternoon flight, and taxiing up to the hangar I must have snagged an edge:

30979361668_aa24d8a2e4_z.jpg

OOPS!

Not as bad as it first appeared - about 15 minutes with a box cutter and I was good to go.

Probably will end up pulling it up and burning it, and just throw some wheat straw on top by hand.

The area in front of the hangar was seeded, then some grass mat or some such thing was laid on top.

Nasty stuff.

I went for a little afternoon flight, and taxiing up to the hangar I must have snagged an edge:

OOPS!

Not as bad as it first appeared - about 15 minutes with a box cutter and I was good to go.

Probably will end up pulling it up and burning it, and just throw some wheat straw on top by hand.

Arresting gear. :rofl:

It is pretty funny.

As an aside, I had also had problems pulling the plane out. While the ground was dry and felt firm, the concentrated weight on the small wheels had one dig in - enough that I had to pull it out with the tractor. It would obviously be a real problem were the ground really wet.

This morning I peeled back about a 10’ swath of that evil stuff and laid down a “taxiway” using that ground asphalt:

29928136167_231d214ca6_z.jpg

44865127351_a2b81436d2_z.jpg

This is a temporary solution - eventually I will probably get that apron area paved. But it should help.

Not so much for efficiency but for the vacuum that is created on the drain line. The unit is drawing air in through the drain line when the fan is running.

During longer run times in summer months the condensation cannot drain due to the vacuum created, and the condensation pan can overflow inside the unit. Possibly just adding moisture back into the air which opposite of what you want, and/or water all over the floor.

Once the trap fills with water the vacuum is broken and the condensation will drain as normal during run cycles.

Well, OK then. I stand/sit/type corrected. Thanks for the info!

Nasty stuff.

OOPS!

Clearly like to roll your own. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Karen just posted this to Facebook:

Don’t just fly by this post.
We are having a HOUSEWARMING PARTY
at “WINGIN' IT” (Our TN HOME NAME)
October 12th and October 13th.
Anytime from 4:00pm - 8:00pm
Everyone is invited. If you have been following our adventure, encouraging us, praying for our obstacles and our successes, your invited.
This is also for the hard workers that offered their blood, lots of sweat and tears (I only cried once).
It’s to meet new neighbors and friends while rejoicing in celebrating with our beloved family and besties in TN.
No need to RSVP. Just come on by.

I'll post driving instructions before the event. If flying in, be sure you're comfortable with a 1,700' grass field with trees around. Contact me for approval. No tie-downs, but plenty of room alongside the runway.

Hope to see some of you there!

Bump!

Should be beautiful flying/driving/riding weather.

Karen’s out getting brownie makings now!

After demonstrating that you like to roll up some grass, you expect us to eat your brownies?

Anyways, congrats on all of it. Wish I could make it but I have other plans. Hope to see you around the southeast fly-in circuit again sometime.

Bump!

Should be beautiful flying/driving/riding weather.

Karen’s out getting brownie makings now!

Wish I could be there. Looking forward to seeing your new place sometime soon.

You might want to warn pilots to avoid the brownies if they have their medical coming around in the next few weeks....

Would be a far trek from Germany so I will go flying in a biplane in your honor tomorrow. Enjoy the new place.

Had a nice turnout yesterday of N GA friends, and new E TN neighbors and family. My daughter and her new husband came up from FL with a friend. Gave some airplane rides, including the first ever for my 9-year-old grandson, Asher.

31415308498_8f2412283f_z.jpg

Will be around all day today if anyone wants to swing by.

Last edited:
Got the grand tour yesterday. Awesome home, Karen put a lot of her touches on the inside! Great location right on the airstrip.

Congratulations!

So completely jealous! I would love to have an air park home! Wished I lived closer also to have congratulated Karen and Eddie in person and taken a tour.

Congrats Karen and Eddie! :)

Quick update...

We’ve settled into a pattern of about 50/50 between our two homes. Getting lots of little projects done at the new house.

One nice thing: this morning the temperature outside was about 27°. Yet our unheated hangar never dropped below 55°. Probabably a combination of...

1) Having been forced to “finish” and insulate the hangar.

2) Having it built into the hillside, and,

3) In spite of the insulation, the heated portion of our home probably radiates some heat into the hangar, especially the exposed ductwork.

31958101388_87676e7c75.jpg

In any case, it should possibly eliminate the need for preheating on really cold E TN mornings.

One nice thing: this morning the temperature outside was about 27°. Yet our unheated hangar never dropped below 55°....

Nice...nothing like having a warmish hangar...

My well insulated garage was showing 50f with -5 outside the other morning. My diesel really likes it, or I should say the starter really likes it. I have gap seals around the two garage doors and around the entrance door. I thought about putting a heater in it but I really haven't seen a reason to in the last 10 years I have been here.

It will really nice to not get into a super heated cockpit in summer.

After almost 2 years, we finally squirreled enough away to get some paving done.

They got it all framed out yesterday, and are waiting for the cement mixer now.

50509560836_5910589bb0_z.jpg

50508846918_b8d9d2523b_z.jpg

50509805607_366dec9b99_z.jpg

It will be a nice improvement - sloped gravel driveway got quite bumpy at times and regularly needed to be smoothed back out. We hope to extend it farther, but finances dictate we space things out.

Nice progress. I'm still amazed you got away with a Bama painted home so close to UT! Seeing this thread revived made me go back and reread parts like when the angled window was bing put in and others. I'm envious.

I don't see any rebar. Are they using fiber reinforced concrete?

Soooo envious! Would love to have a Pole Barn on an airstrip.

Looking awesome @FastEddieB! I can't wait to see what the drive looks like. Will you be also laying down a concrete pad in front of the hangar and garage?

Soooo envious! Would love to have a Pole Barn on an airstrip.

Looking awesome @FastEddieB! I can't wait to see what the drive looks like. Will you be also laying down a concrete pad in front of the hangar and garage?

Eventually, as the budget permits. Barring anything unforeseen, maybe add incrementally to it next fall.

As an aside, the foreman asked if we wanted it “sealed”. Not familiar with that. Anyone have any thoughts?

I will assume he means the concrete floor. That prevents oil spills and such from soaking into the concrete and becoming permanent stains. This also makes sweeping and moping much easier, as the surface is smoother.

The plus is obvious, the minus is that it will not prevent ALL stains, and the floor becomes more slick. When wet, this can be a minor hazard, especially if moving something heavy. Your plane may be relatively light, but if your shoe soles are wet, pulling it over the sill may cause a surprise..

On balance, I favor sealing.

Back