(N/A) Things that have gone by the wayside

Keeping it aviation related, a two-fer:

4831196613_a214bc31f4_b.jpg
They’re still working today

Call 202-762-1401 for the time in the eastern time zone in 24 hour time and universal time. Also included is an old time clock ticking in the baack ground.

719-567-6742 for Mountain time.

Use your HF radio on 5000, 10000, 15000, 20000 or 25000 to get UTC

Also one of these, complete with magnetic card reader:

320px--TI-59_Cardreader.ogv.jpg

My dad had one of these for work (slightly larger with a small printer). There was a book with the magnetic strips for the different functions the unit could perform. Somewhere in the back of the book was a game of 'moon lander'. You had to load a couple of strips and it would start to count down numbers representing the descent of your moon-lander towards the surface of the moon. You, as the 'astronaut', had to enter the number of 'thrusters' you would fire to keep the lander from crashing into the moon. If you fired the right number, it would slow down gradually and touch down within specs. If you fired too many at a time, the lander would reverse, climb and start to accelerate downwards against your now depleted supply of thrusters.....

Andy Griffith is still on syndication, but they don’t make shows like these anymore.

That song is from my favourite episode, "Mountain Wedding". It's a classic.

Still have one of these floating around...remember them being convenient to look up airport info before the iPad and airnav were around. AOPA used to send out the printed airport directory as well.
51vUnuTHU4L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
il_570xN.1301204090_9y0j.jpg

Still have one of these floating around...remember them being convenient to look up airport info before the iPad and airnav were around. AOPA used to send out the printed airport directory as well.

Man completely forgot about this. I had one, maybe it was subscription I think.

Before the FAA published test questions pilots would send in some of the questions they had on their written. This company then published them in a booklet, Acme Exams.

image.jpeg

Your GPS inop?
Nope, all three of them (KLN90B, and Foreflight on iPhone and iPad) work fine. There are just some things I want to find out that would take too much button-pushing and/or eye time in the cockpit to get on the GPS. No need to distract the machines from their magenta-line-following duties.

Last edited:
Me and my brother wore these things out back in the day.
Found one on Ebay and snapped it up a while back. Gave it to the grandkids and they love it.

images

And why do you need that? Your phone gives you that information. I genuinely want to know
The phone gives me one minute resolution; the web site gives me one second. I also wear a wrist watch (gasp!) and use the link to set that once in a while. Same story for the 110 year old grandfather clock in our hallway. I like accuracy.

The phone gives me one minute resolution; the web site gives me one second. I also wear a wrist watch (gasp!) and use the link to set that once in a while. Same story for the 110 year old grandfather clock in our hallway. I like accuracy.

don't know what phone you have, but iPhone gives you 1 second resolution. I also wear a wrist watch.

don't know what phone you have, but iPhone gives you 1 second resolution. I also wear a wrist watch.

evidently, not anymore for iPhone clock app. But i'm sure you can get an app for that

I had the model with the IR blaster built in. We would screw with the teacher on “movie days” by making the TV switch channels or turn up the volume. She couldn’t figure out why the tv was having a mind if its own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have an old one.

One thing I miss about paper airport directories is information on where the transient parking is. I haven't found an electronic directory that has that.

I'm pretty sure a cellphone that's getting its time from the network is pretty close to one second resolution. At least that's been my observation when compared against NTP (1 millisecond resolution).

Back