iOS 12 - Update!

On my Mini 4, ForeFlight has crashed more on one flight today using 12 than it has over the past 7 years.

I flew with it (IOS 12 and FF) today. The only negative I found was that the "distance rings" around my ship seemed to be fixed size, and were not labeled. They used to be labeled with distances and would change sizes as I zoomed in or out. I changed the settings (to auto or fixed size) a few different times with no effect even when I closed foreflight (by double clicking (reducing the apps to "mini pages") and swiping them out of the way.
I'll be interested if anyone else sees that.
Distance rings and labels seem to be working normally on my iPhone 6 with iOS 12. I haven't updated the Mini 4 yet, pending the all-clear from FF.

On my Mini 4, ForeFlight has crashed more on one flight today using 12 than it has over the past 7 years.

ForeFlight hasn't cleared iOS 12 yet. There may be things that need to be worked out still. I've made two flights using FF on iOS12 with absolutely no issues at all.

Reminds me of a saying I've heard: "Never fly the 'A' model of anything."
I agree with that. But my Ipad was only one of our devices. The 530w and the 696 are still used more than my Ipad (Air 2). And my wife (the actual pilot) was using her yoke mounted Ipad and I had my Iphone-X at the ready. So updating the Air-2 wasn't really any sort of risk or sacrifice.

Well I just upgraded to 12. We will see how the battery holds out.

Anxiously waiting for a Pirep!

No, with IOS 11 you would be anxious. So far, I think you can afford to wait. Fingers crossed. Knock on wood. Refrain from hand propping a Cirrus.

Reminds me of a saying I've heard: "Never fly the 'A' model of anything."
I don't worry about it since ForeFlight isn't my only EFB and iOS is not my only tablet operating system.

I reported it to ForeFlight.

Photos is much quicker importing images from an SD card. The SD card (with quite a few images) loaded in about 5 seconds vs a minute or two on my mini 2.

As a recent Mini 4 buyer (refurb - my first iPad) and recent all-the-EFBs-30-day-trialer, I think I'll hold off on the update, but will stay tuned in here to see how it shakes out. Thanks to the brave explorers.

I'm hating it. Okay battery life but reduced functionality. For example I cannot send pictures directly from my photo album like before, I can only invoke the camera. And it has a f**** up way of organizing my photos. I had to fight to get to display the camera roll, all photos taken in order.

I'm hating it. Okay battery life but reduced functionality. For example I cannot send pictures directly from my photo album like before, I can only invoke the camera. And it has a f**** up way of organizing my photos. I had to fight to get to display the camera roll, all photos taken in order.

?? It hasn’t even changed lol. Photos ->Albums -> Camera Roll

Sending photos directly from photo album is the same as before too.

Sounds like you need to do a restore and clean install. Cause literally none of that has changed.

Sounds like you need to do a restore and clean install. Cause literally none of that has changed.

I can't figure it out. I press the camera icon. I get a camera. I used to get some split thing with a camera and the camera roll. I do not get that anymore nor any apparent option to do so.

I can't figure it out. I press the camera icon. I get a camera. I used to get some split thing with a camera and the camera roll. I do not get that anymore nor any apparent option to do so.

You mean like this??
DFA30E31-253E-4D58-82E4-6E0C4381B59E.png

No, no picture of the plane thingie or anything else

Yeah, what am I missing?

Idk man mine hasn’t changed. I think you got screwy stuff going on. I’d backup your phone and do a restore and clean install ios12

There is only a "cancel" button where the picture of your plane appears.

That won't help. It may make me angry. I will probably wait for the next couple minor revisions to update.

I think @Sac Arrow is referring to sending a pic in Messages, which IS different. You hit the camera icon next to the text entry box and now it takes you straight to the full-screen camera whereas before it had a mini-camera window plus your most recent camera roll pictures. I think I liked the old way better too, but you CAN get to your previously taken photos by hitting the icon in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

I think @Sac Arrow is referring to sending a pic in Messages, which IS different. You hit the camera icon next to the text entry box and now it takes you straight to the full-screen camera whereas before it had a mini-camera window plus your most recent camera roll pictures. I think I liked the old way better too, but you CAN get to your previously taken photos by hitting the icon in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

True...although it’s actually quite nice. You can access your photo gallery from upper left hand corner in camera or view gallery directly from messages

6FFC8748-B475-444D-896A-DDA5C96A85D8.png E0606841-A3FF-4D6E-B78A-A1483941E996.png

Why does the pictures still show up in camera roll and in other folders once moved and if deleted from camera roll they disappear from the other folders too

In Messages, you can access the photo library by selecting the "A" icon next to the camera, then the Photos app icon. No need to go via the Camera icon.

Why does the pictures still show up in camera roll and in other folders once moved and if deleted from camera roll they disappear from the other folders too

My understanding is that Camera Roll will always show all of the picture on your device, regardless of how you have them organized. If you delete them from all other locations on your device, or directly from Camera Roll, they will be gone.

In Messages, you can access the photo library by selecting the "A" icon next to the camera, then the Photos app icon. No need to go via the Camera icon.

My understanding is that Camera Roll will always show all of the picture on your device, regardless of how you have them organized. If you delete them from all other locations on your device, or directly from Camera Roll, they will be gone.

Okay, that solves one mystery. That is what the hell that funny thing does. A little clunky but it works.

Dear Customer,

We have discovered a compatibility issue between ForeFlight and iOS 12 affecting the iPad Mini 4, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6, and older devices. These devices may experience persistent app crashes while running ForeFlight on iOS 12.

We have notified Apple of this issue and our team is working on finding and implementing a fix, but for now we recommend that all customers “hold short” on updating to iOS 12 on any iPad Minis, iPad Airs, iPhone 6, and older devices used in flight. We will notify you as soon as a fix is available.

Newer devices are not impacted by this issue and are clear to update to iOS 12. These include any iPad Pro, iPad 5th generation and above, and iPhone 6S and above.
If you're not sure which iPad or iPhone model you have, visit this page to check your iPad model and this page to check your iPhone model. Follow this link to learn how you can check which Apple iOS version you are currently running. Please also stay tuned to our company news, Facebook page, or Twitter feed for updates.

- Team ForeFlight

Dear Customer,

We have discovered a compatibility issue between ForeFlight and iOS 12 affecting the iPad Mini 4, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6, and older devices. These devices may experience persistent app crashes while running ForeFlight on iOS 12.

We have notified Apple of this issue and our team is working on finding and implementing a fix, but for now we recommend that all customers “hold short” on updating to iOS 12 on any iPad Minis, iPad Airs, iPhone 6, and older devices used in flight. We will notify you as soon as a fix is available.

Newer devices are not impacted by this issue and are clear to update to iOS 12. These include any iPad Pro, iPad 5th generation and above, and iPhone 6S and above.
If you're not sure which iPad or iPhone model you have, visit this page to check your iPad model and this page to check your iPhone model. Follow this link to learn how you can check which Apple iOS version you are currently running. Please also stay tuned to our company news, Facebook page, or Twitter feed for updates.

- Team ForeFlight

Saw that. Explains why it works well on my 6S Plus. I did have it freeze up on me on my iPad mini 4. Hopefully they have a fix relatively soon.

Dear Customer,

- Team ForeFlight
Yep. Just received it too. Confirmed what I was seeing on my flight.

How true. The Corollary is “Never install an iOS if it is not at least a X.0.1 version.”

Cheers

What’s to say it isn’t on ForeFlights side? iOS12 has been outstanding otherwise

What’s to say it isn’t on ForeFlights side? iOS12 has been outstanding otherwise
That FF works fine on the newer hardware suggests it's something in the iOS/hardware interface. OTOH, as one of the instructors in my flying club was fond of saying, "it's not you fault, but it is your problem."

That FF works fine on the newer hardware suggests it's something in the iOS/hardware interface. OTOH, as one of the instructors in my flying club was fond of saying, "it's not you fault, but it is your problem."

Yea that's true.

Back