Lunch - What'd You Have?

Started on my crap rehab center lunch until my bride walked in with an Italian hoagie and a bag of chips.

Aww man, I haven't a real hoagie since the last time I was in Joisey. Glad she brought ya something you love. Get well!

Karen’s is the one on top.

0d53b74fc85b4d8ea498fd18c14ae65c.jpg

IMG_3996.JPG IMG_3995.JPG

Steak "sandwich" at Al the Wop's, an iconic, run down, hole in the wall bar in Locke. The building probably hadn't been upgraded since the 1800's. Their thing is the steak sandwich, fried bread, and all the peanut butter you can eat with more fried bread if you want it. No I did not eat the bread. The steak? Fatty and gristly. A stouter knife would have helped. The salad? Size of a teacup holder. Last time I was there was probably 20 years ago. Hadn't changed. Except for the prices. Holy crap that steak was thirty bucks out the door. Ouch.

Burger-King-Offers-New-3.79-Kings-Meal-Deal-678x381.jpg

...because freeway traffic was heavy on the way back from the airport and I didn't feel like sitting in it.

In the airplane, I practiced ACS maneuvers just because it's been a couple months since I last did them. Nailed it! Unfortunately that describes the firmness of my soft field touchdown and not how well I stayed within tolerances.:rolleyes:

Burger-King-Offers-New-3.79-Kings-Meal-Deal-678x381.jpg

...because freeway traffic was heavy on the way back from the airport and I didn't feel like sitting in it.

In the airplane, I practiced ACS maneuvers just because it's been a couple months since I last did them. Nailed it! Unfortunately that describes the firmness of my soft field touchdown and not how well I stayed within tolerances.:rolleyes:

Back in the day when I still ate bread occasionally, and Whoppers ran on special for $1, I would get two, toss one set of buns and have a double. I do like me a Whopper but it is a rare day when I will suffer the bun. But if I do, I'm going extra large onion rings. Or maybe just two Double Whoppers w Cheese.

Back in the day when I still ate bread occasionally, and Whoppers ran on special for $1, I would get two, toss one set of buns and have a double. I do like me a Whopper but it is a rare day when I will suffer the bun. But if I do, I'm going extra large onion rings. Or maybe just two Double Whoppers w Cheese.

Once in a blue moon I will get a regular Whopper, cut it in half, and throw away half the bun and put all the ingredients on the other half. So like a half of a double Whopper. Haven't done it in a long time though.

So when you take a McChicken, toss the set of buns and then stuff it inside a McDouble it's called a... well I'll let you look it up.
What would you call a BK Chicken Jr stuffed inside their bacon cheeseburger?

So when you take a McChicken, toss the set of buns and then stuff it inside a McDouble it's called a... well I'll let you look it up.

Interesting.

And, a Chickburgian?

IMG_4002.JPG

Believe it or not, the top pieces are tri tip and the bottom brisket. Their tri tip and brisket taste almost the same. It wasn't a bad bbq joint. I was initially thrown off, but it was tasty. Yes those are smoke rings.

Nothing. I didn’t eat til 4:30 today.

A salad. Again. Trying to keep from becoming Eric Cartman.

Made a little jambalaya for dinner. Bachelor night.

Protein drink for breakfast. Eggs and corned beef hash for lunch. Tenderloin and thick cut bacon for supper. Still on the keto.

xsStKdt.jpg

WVwz1BP.jpg

Lunch most of the week was salad and dumb stuff. But that meant Sunday night dinner treat was to try a new place.

Kinda corporate, deems themselves “Lodge chic” whatever that is. It looked like a cheap ski lodge inside. Called the Lazy Dog.

Apparently there’s three of them around here now. Kinda a weird mix between mountain lodge look and California open noisy restaurant style. Busy and noisy.

Dumb decor like a giant lighted sign that looked like an old movie theater marquis with white lights that spelled “America” in white bulbs in front of a panel with numerous old State license plates in a perfect rectangle with no thought given to State placement on the board or really anything art about it at all. And a bunch of giant photos of cowboys and dogs which doesn’t suck, but seemed a reach just to match the name of the place.

Food was decent but nothing to write home about. Just write to PoA about. Ha.

The chicken lettuce wraps are a direct rip off of PF Chang’s for an appetizer and the “flat iron steak” was passable.

The au-gratin potatoes were easily the best thing on any plate at the table, I cut them open so you could see the inside. Nicely done.

The green beans were over cooked and had no seasoning whatsoever, not even a flavor infused oil. We both agreed they would have been nice with some garlic or even just a tiny sprinkle of kosher salt to liven them up. Chili flake in the oil on them would have done it, too. Extremely bland.

The little roasted corn on the cobs were a pain in the butt to eat. They cut them up like that for presentation but when presentation makes it harder to eat, that’s stupid. Just leave it a whole cob.

Had a bog standard brownie with vanilla ice cream for dessert and spilt it like we always do. It was a brownie with while chocolate chips inside and the usual warm iron under it with cold ice cream on top. Was literally so typical of a chain place it was boring. Nothing really wrong with it. Just boring.

Karen had a pulled pork sandwich that looked as boring as my beans. But she said it was good. Not wanting to ruin her dinner I didn’t ask if it came anywhere near the real BBQ joint we usually go to. I knew the answer from looking at it. She’d have eaten anything after just arriving home from a 9 hour car trip from Idaho. Ha.

Always thankful for a good meal, so no complaints. Just know there’s better out there. Wouldn’t hesitate to take a business meal or personal friend there, it’s not exactly a disappointment, but it wasn’t “we just MUST come back soon!” either.

Didn’t suck, wasn’t the greatest. Pretty corporate. $60 before tip for two people. No alcohol.

The best part was the staff at this particular one or at least our waitress. Older gal, busting her butt and kept up with multiple tables and made it look easy. Also knew when to talk and when not to, and was a decent conversationalist. Really nice lady. Can’t guarantee that’s going to be the same at every table, but I love it when we luck out at a corporate giant place like this one and get a top notch server.

BIG tip. We have a little fun money fund for donations or big tips in our budget just for people like her. Just a few bucks a month gets stashed it it and it gets big sometimes when there’s nothing worth tossing it at. She got a nice chunk of it tonight. Hopefully made her night extra worth the work on a Sunday evening.

BTDT and know one happy customer and a big tip can go a long way in feeling better about working service jobs on weekends.

(That’s my big problem with the stupid FBO hidden fees. DO SOMETHING for it, I’ll happily pay extra. Slime bags just getting it for standing behind a pretty glass counter top after I parked the airplane and they didn’t do anything? Kiss my butt. I won’t be back.)

ecd825327593011c77f43c778fd91f77.jpg

a0ae34d4ce935a7012f398cf4c1f98d6.jpg

There's also the Land, Sea, and Air burger. It's a Filet-o-Fish patty underneath a quarter pounder underneath a McChicken.

Lunch most of the week was salad and dumb stuff. But that meant Sunday night dinner treat was to try a new place.

Kinda corporate, deems themselves “Lodge chic” whatever that is. It looked like a cheap ski lodge inside. Called the Lazy Dog.

Apparently there’s three of them around here now. Kinda a weird mix between mountain lodge look and California open noisy restaurant style. Busy and noisy.

Dumb decor like a giant lighted sign that looked like an old movie theater marquis with white lights that spelled “America” in white bulbs in front of a panel with numerous old State license plates in a perfect rectangle with no thought given to State placement on the board or really anything art about it at all. And a bunch of giant photos of cowboys and dogs which doesn’t suck, but seemed a reach just to match the name of the place.

Food was decent but nothing to write home about. Just write to PoA about. Ha.

The chicken lettuce wraps are a direct rip off of PF Chang’s for an appetizer and the “flat iron steak” was passable.

The au-gratin potatoes were easily the best thing on any plate at the table, I cut them open so you could see the inside. Nicely done.

The green beans were over cooked and had no seasoning whatsoever, not even a flavor infused oil. We both agreed they would have been nice with some garlic or even just a tiny sprinkle of kosher salt to liven them up. Chili flake in the oil on them would have done it, too. Extremely bland.

The little roasted corn on the cobs were a pain in the butt to eat. They cut them up like that for presentation but when presentation makes it harder to eat, that’s stupid. Just leave it a whole cob.

Had a bog standard brownie with vanilla ice cream for dessert and spilt it like we always do. It was a brownie with while chocolate chips inside and the usual warm iron under it with cold ice cream on top. Was literally so typical of a chain place it was boring. Nothing really wrong with it. Just boring.

Karen had a pulled pork sandwich that looked as boring as my beans. But she said it was good. Not wanting to ruin her dinner I didn’t ask if it came anywhere near the real BBQ joint we usually go to. I knew the answer from looking at it. She’d have eaten anything after just arriving home from a 9 hour car trip from Idaho. Ha.

Always thankful for a good meal, so no complaints. Just know there’s better out there. Wouldn’t hesitate to take a business meal or personal friend there, it’s not exactly a disappointment, but it wasn’t “we just MUST come back soon!” either.

Didn’t suck, wasn’t the greatest. Pretty corporate. $60 before tip for two people. No alcohol.

The best part was the staff at this particular one or at least our waitress. Older gal, busting her butt and kept up with multiple tables and made it look easy. Also knew when to talk and when not to, and was a decent conversationalist. Really nice lady. Can’t guarantee that’s going to be the same at every table, but I love it when we luck out at a corporate giant place like this one and get a top notch server.

BIG tip. We have a little fun money fund for donations or big tips in our budget just for people like her. Just a few bucks a month gets stashed it it and it gets big sometimes when there’s nothing worth tossing it at. She got a nice chunk of it tonight. Hopefully made her night extra worth the work on a Sunday evening.

BTDT and know one happy customer and a big tip can go a long way in feeling better about working service jobs on weekends.

(That’s my big problem with the stupid FBO hidden fees. DO SOMETHING for it, I’ll happily pay extra. Slime bags just getting it for standing behind a pretty glass counter top after I parked the airplane and they didn’t do anything? Kiss my butt. I won’t be back.)

ecd825327593011c77f43c778fd91f77.jpg

a0ae34d4ce935a7012f398cf4c1f98d6.jpg

That is one serious writeup.

Oh trust me, I whore it up on Yelp.

LOL. I don’t know what inspired me to write all of that other than it was a bachelor weekend and the food choices I made were particularly boring from Thursday through Sunday night.

Then I decided to go out Saturday night to one of my favorite places and ran into this ...

736fc4f36af86c2f043289a6fded7ab9.jpg

So I drove a few blocks up and had an utterly boring corporate bacon and avocado burger at some place with no history and nothing different on their menu than Chili’s.

So I was kinda not happy about that and then ended up at the new place on Sunday night with Karen, and it was “slightly better than average” but not great and I realized those places are what kills off the good places like that first one.

Oh well. Yay Olive Garden hell.

Wasn’t lunch but I didn’t eat lunch...

Very interesting.

Hand made Fiocchi filled with pear braised in sage butter, on a bed of roasted almond slivers and bacon crumbles.

Probably the most interesting meal I’ve had in a while.

Had a couple of garlic knots for bread with it and a little cheesecake for dessert.

Probably didn’t need the cheesecake.

Little family owned place we had somehow overlooked in Parker, CO in a strip mall. Line out the door.

Will definitely be back. They have homemade lasagna and Chicken Picatta I want to try now.

Edit: The pasta had a drizzle of balsamic on it, too. Super mix of flavors.

This thread has been dry lately, here’s a revival!

Vegetarian chalupa, with a side of rice.
1D50C102-5332-4B0D-A042-98E31BDA77AB.jpeg

Taco Bell.... even though I have an appointment with my cardiologist tomorrow to check my cholesterol....

Fried oysters at the Water Street Oyster bar in Corpus Christie. Yum. Wish I'd taken a picture.

When the McRib is not in season, you have to make do... :D

(I set the culinary bar very low)

IMG_3279.jpg

Back