Premier 1 bird strike.....

We are plastic surgeons and lawyers, one former NFL player, and airline captains. We still look good on paper.
Wow, okay, these guys really like champagne. And champagne, really? I'd have had the Lagunitas going or the Scotch.. outside of some women and weddings, do people actually like champagne?]
First, I have to say we like our bubbly here but tend to drink Cava and Prosecco for the lighter taste and price. It’s a good way to roll.

But you mean we’re going to have to travel in this little tube with a bunch of working stiffs! Jeez, these guys have gone to work every day and actually used their hands... I don’t know if I’ll be able to stand it. What a bore, I mean what am I going to say when they inevitably ask, “so what do you do?” How gauche, so déclassé!

Personally they lost me when no women were included. What kind of party is that?!

The article clearly poked at some sensitive spots. I have to go back and read part I of the Pelican that killed the Premier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks. But he's not boasting about his success, he wants you, and his friends, to know that he is better than you, and better than his friends

Wealth is great, and being proud of your success is fine, hell I love it. I've had the luxury of experiencing and doing things many my age don't get to do, and I have some very well to do family and friends. But whether someone looks "good on paper" is not my litmus test as to if they'll be my friend or not. Someday when I'm cruising around in my 650 (okay fine, PC24) I won't go out of my way to keep reiterating how rich I am over and over. I'll pepper in a few subtle things, like a picture of my wrist adjusting the heading nob, with just a peak of a Breitling watch, or have just part of my Koeniksegg in the corner of one of the photos of the bird damage, but I'd keep the story focused on flying did I declare, was there a Pan Pan issued, did I adjust my landing approach or flare at all, did I tell tower? There is something very classy about stealth wealth. I could have done with more about the flying and the actual ADM, and less about his champagne overtures..

But that's just me, and I don't have to like him (when he had the Cheyenne it was still there, but not nearly as bad and his articles were still primarily about flying and maintaining a turboprop), or enjoy his articles, heck, no one forces me to read the magazine.. my critique was purely an observational one about what the story was lacking. If other people like hearing about his good on paper looking (but messy in real life) friends, then more power to them. Funny, people knock Cirrus about the whole rich guy thing, but the COPA magazine and Cirrus owners tend to be some of the most down to Earth and just good dudes to hang out with.. their wealth is just another thing about them, like their favorite color or food

Since you got me on a roll, some of my favorite /s quotes:
  • "We are plastic surgeons and lawyers, one former NFL player, and airline captains. We still look good on paper"
    • Why does it matter what your friends do? And why is surgeon not enough, it has to be "plastic" surgeon. Pro sports is not enough, it has to be NFL. How is that relevant in any way to the story in the article? Is that really how you decide who is worthy of your presence and friendship, based on their occupations? Sure I've name dropped on occasion, but it's relevant to the situation
  • "To become a member, you must be a man who looks good on paper"
    • It just so happens that most, if not all, of our friends have masters and doctorates in something.. sister is a Harvard educated corporate tax lawyer and the other is a surgeon.. but when I introduce my friends to people that doesn't even come up.. unless it somehow becomes relevant "oh, you work at X, you may know this person"
  • "Tom, the American Airlines captain, was awarded the right seat; either Jason (JetBlue) or Andy (Atlas) was going to get the privilege on the way home"
    • "Awarded" and "privelege" ?? - get over yourself man.. your flying a $2M jet that's been out of production for 5 years built by a company that no longer exists and has a terrible support network. Plus, you know just about every pilot would be giddy at the chance to be in the front of a turbine powered plane.. how about just "Tom flew right seat on the way there and Andy on the way back" - it's already a given and assumed that this is a big deal.. no need to keep driving that home. It's not enough to show up in the Ferrari, you have to say "hey, did you guys see my Ferrari?" Half the homes out here are well over $2M.. but you don't hear people saying "I invited Jim over to my house for the privilege of seeing my home. I awarded him with a meal I cooked on our Wolf range and baked him a cake from our Gaggenau oven, I then opened the Dom and had several bottles. We then put our Vilbrequins on. Me and the NBA player went to the Sauna. Dan Bilzerian joined us for some more drinks, oh, did I mention I know the Clintons, yeah, I do. No they didn't come over, but I know them" <- JC, can you imagine trying to have a beer with someone like that?
  • "I asked the pilots to inform the nonpilot passengers."
    • I mean, you're all friends, right? "Hey Plasting surgeons and NFL players, we have to land we hit a bird" .. I think we've all jokingly said "tray tables up" to our passengers before landing.. but seriously? Even within his friends there is a hierarchy
  • "We went into the FBO and opened the Champagne"
    • OK! So f*cking cool man!!
  • "The two bottles of Champagne disappeared."
    • Wow, okay, these guys really like champagne. And champagne, really? I'd have had the Lagunitas going or the Scotch.. outside of some women and weddings, do people actually like champagne?
  • "The volume (liters) of alcohol consumption and the volume (decibels) of the gaiety"
    • Read: we got drunk, look how cool I am. Did you see how drunk I got? Did I mention we drank a lot?
  • references to "messy in real life"
    • Even though we're divorced and careless, we are still better than you. We still managed IVY league creds and made it very far in life, even though we're a complete mess. You guys, you all worked really hard and your life is not a mess, but you are toiling away in your pathetic $70K / yr job and happy if you can rent that beater Cherokee once a month for an hour. You're the person on the ITT Tech commercials

That’s quite a rant. I like it.

Geez, so many here have such egos they cannot stand it if someone else has one! Read all of Dr. Karl's columns and you'll get a better idea.

That’s quite a rant. I like it.
He is a surgeon of course he has an ego. 40 years of being an internist and looked down upon by the surgeons. Of course until their patient got sick and they expected us to pull their bacon out of the fire.

“so what do you do?”
LOL. That's something I personally have to get better at, but it's such an easy ice breaker when you first meet someone

The article clearly poked at some sensitive spots
Indeed, but not enough so to make it seem obviously tongue in cheek.. I believe he was totally serious

Anyway, carry on all!!

PS +1 on the Prosecco

Each generation shows its wealth in different ways.
Baby boomers often use conspicuous consumption combined with status based on career. Gen X uses a more subtle status based on the casual presence of luxury items that have minimal bling and use name drops, with consumption being hidden as much as practical.
Gen Y and Millenials have gone back to conspicuous consumption, often via experiences (such as yacht charters) or lots of bling (look at the amount of gold and jewels on stars these days).

It goes to generational custom.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Each generation shows its wealth in different ways.
Baby boomers often use conspicuous consumption combined with status based on career. Gen X uses a more subtle status based on the casual presence of luxury items that have minimal bling and use name drops, with consumption being hidden as much as practical.
Gen Y and Millenials have gone back to conspicuous consumption, often via experiences (such as yacht charters) or lots of bling (look at the amount of gold and jewels on stars these days).

It goes to generational custom.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Yes, but the big question is, “what happened to personal aircraft?” Mine is bigger than yours and all that. Or is it just jet versus no-jet? (Unlike Dick, I’m definitely being tongue and cheek here).

That was a white pelican. I would be willing to bet there's never been a BROWN Pelican in Colorado as that would be about 500nm from their nearest habitat. They simply do not get too far from water.
Thanks, so many years later I forget the color. The accident happened the day I reported to B-1 training at Dyess.

I've noticed over the years that Dick likes to drink. He mentions alcohol in almost every column he writes.

Yes, look up B-1B bird strike accident, Sept 1987, LaJunta Colorado, LA Times has a good article dated 21 Jan 1988. They were my Squadron members.
Yep pretty sure you are talking about the one with the failed ejection seat and the two on board who didn't even have them. Terrible punching out knowing your passengers could not.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yep pretty sure you are talking about the one with the failed ejection seat and the two on board who didn't even have them. Terrible punching out knowing your passengers could not.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yes

I hit a turkey buzzard in a rented 172 once. Thing pushed an entire section fo the leading edge back to the spar. Not surprised at the damage.

I hit a turkey buzzard in a rented 172 once. Thing pushed an entire section fo the leading edge back to the spar. Not surprised at the damage.
My dad hit a cottonwood tree with the wing of an Ag Truck once, about halfway out the wing, and where the trunk was about 10” in diameter. Same thing, sent back to the spar.

He landed, loaded up, and flew a few more loads before the wind came up. :eek:

Some of my favorite Alaska stories start with..."we were having cocktails when"...... or end with... "after that we had several cocktails".....

Boy this guy sure has an incredibly pretentious writing style.

Also two bottles of champagne for 6 guys? pfffffffff

If they were my friends it’d be two each.
My friends would have beer, lots of beer or whisky, lots of whisky!

I like Dick Karl’s writing and actually met him briefly in Asheville a few years ago. We owned a Citation IISP for 7 years, anyone who asked, it was a twin Cessna. My friends knew, most of our employees didn’t, I just downplayed it to not come off as pretentious. But, I don’t write for Flying magazine either. :D

I enjoy Karl’s stuff too. He’s less of a fine story teller like the late Gordon Baxter but more of a lively soul who likes to share.

The writing is what keeps Flying alive in my mind and always has been the main reason to buy it.

Off Topic: While AOPA is more than a magazine, I was willing to pay to join mainly to get more airplane stuff in my mailbox. But I quit the organization when I was turned off by the article about shooting goats from helicopters. Just too evocative for this child of the 60s.

The only magazine I subscribe to is Kitplanes. I have been thinking of giving Flying another chance as I have found my self really enjoying their articles lately. I like how candid and willing the authors are to share their most embarrassing stories.

Still no pics of the damage, how can you run a story like this without those pictures??

I have a diffrent take on Karl - his writing is "genuine", without pretense, or false modesty. He had some smarts, he had some drive,and he dove into a tough, demanding career; he dedicated himself to it, and was successful. I don't begrudge him one sip of Dom, or his high-end airplane. I see it as well earned, and I enjoy reading about his flying. It's not a bad thing to work very hard, turn potential into accomplishment, and then reap the rewards.

I have a diffrent take on Karl - his writing is "genuine", without pretense, or false modesty. He had some smarts, he had some drive,and he dove into a tough, demanding career; he dedicated himself to it, and was successful. I don't begrudge him one sip of Dom, or his high-end airplane. I see it as well earned, and I enjoy reading about his flying. It's not a bad thing to work very hard, turn potential into accomplishment, and then reap the rewards.

Agreed. The good part is that you can use the present tense when describing him; he has smarts, he remains driven, and he dove into a fascinating late in life dream of flying jets professionally.

He may have jumped in a bit over is head with the personal jet but he’ll work it out.

Back