iOS 12 - Update!

It sure helped my 7+. And my iPad Pro.

Yea I’d really be shocked if you didn’t notice a difference. If someone doesn’t notice a difference they probably weren’t paying much attention beforehand anyways.

Did my old iPhone 5S and performance improvement is very noticeable.

Also iPad Air 2 with no issues - WingX runs without any issues.

Will wait a few days before doing the other Air2, Mini4 and iPhone7

Don’t see any major differences on my 7. I’ll mostly like get the Xr when it comes out in October anyway.

Don’t see any major differences on my 7. I’ll mostly like get the Xr when it comes out in October anyway.

I would highly recommend waiting till next year for the 11. There are supposed to be some major changes next year including a pretty trick camera, smaller cut out up top, smaller bevel, etc. I typically try to avoid the S models (like this year) as it is usually just minor improvements.

All they had to do was stop slowing down the processor on devices with older batteries. I already gave away my 3rd Gen iPad mini due to its horrible performance. It was only used for ForeFlight but was barely usable thanks to Apple's "help" to extend the battery life by slowing it down (even while plugged into power).

Too be completely fair, it wasn’t to extend the battery life it was to keep the device from crashing when the battery couldn’t supply enough current for the faster operation.

That said, they should have been up front about it.

I just updated my Ipad air 2 from 11.4 to 12.
First thing I checked was ForeFlight. It opened much faster.
Mail (AT&T) seems much snappier too.
So far, I am happy, but it has only been a few minutes.

Lately, "the weather channel" app (Why am I still using that?) has been crashing a lot. I'll wait a while to see if that seems better now.

Glad to see so many folks with good results thus far.

I updated my mini 2 and 6s. Both seem somewhat faster, especially the 6s.

Upgraded my phone the other day. Actual phone app locked up solid today, had to reboot. Only app running at the time.

Upgraded my phone the other day. Actual phone app locked up solid today, had to reboot. Only app running at the time.

I’ve always done a backup and restore before going to a new version of iOS and never had any issues. I did the same when I had an Android. That practice has always served me well.

What I'm looking for in a new operating system is an anti-spam feature. I am using iPhone 8 and have not downloaded or installed the recent upgrade to the iOS.

Features needed:
A Do Not Disturb option to block all calls, sending them immediately to voicemail, EXCEPT those calls from peoplein my contact list. The current iOS appears to have this but it doesn't work consistently... Some calls get through that shouldn't and vice-versa.

If this could be made to work, then you change your outgoing voicemail message to say that the caller must leave a VM message giving the callback number and the reason for the call. And then you can call back those you want to. But the Spammers will know that if you have no interest you won't call ... so bye bye SPAM!

-Skip

If this could be made to work, then you change your outgoing voicemail message to say that the caller must leave a VM message giving the callback number and the reason for the call. And then you can call back those you want to. But the Spammers will know that if you have no interest you won't call ... so bye bye SPAM!
My outgoing voicemail message would be the one Jim Rockford (James Garner) had in the old TV show "The Rockford Files" ... "You know what to do. Do it."

Well, thanks to the recommendations here and elsewhere, I'm updating my Mini 2, which I had held on iOS 10.3, right now. Will provide a pirep.

$29 to fix something that isn't broken but was necessary because of their code.

... Which was written to keep the phone from powering down when it still had battery because the rate of battery discharge triggered the battery protection.

If you learn the whole story, what Apple was doing made a lot of sense. But then it looked bad so they offered free and dirt cheap battery replacements and exposed some things in newer OS versions for the sake of transparency.

I would highly recommend waiting till next year for the 11. There are supposed to be some major changes next year including a pretty trick camera, smaller cut out up top, smaller bevel, etc. I typically try to avoid the S models (like this year) as it is usually just minor improvements.

It's always going to be better next year. IMO, this year is probably the best "S" year the iPhone has ever had. Plus, the person you were replying to is looking at the Xr, which is the "cheap" one, and those usually don't get an update every year. So, if that's the range you're looking at, there is no better time than now to get it.

My outgoing voicemail message would be the one Jim Rockford (James Garner) had in the old TV show "The Rockford Files" ... "You know what to do. Do it."

My favorite voice mail greeting ever is one my brother used to have. "Hi, you've reached <his name>'s telepathic thought recording device. After the beep, just think about your name and number, and I'll think about calling you back." :rofl:

Well, thanks to the recommendations here and elsewhere, I'm updating my Mini 2, which I had held on iOS 10.3, right now. Will provide a pirep.
That's the same setup I have, so I will be VERY interested in your pirep!

My mini2 is performing well using FltPlanGo App. I'm pleased so far, but I think this is just kicking the can down the road. I will need to update eventually.

For those who do a backup and restore before a new ios, how do you verify the backup is valid before you wipe all the data on your device?
My usual luck would be to end up with a defective backup and a wiped device.
I like to test my backups before erasing my life from a device.

Let's say we jump on ios 11 then for some reason have updater's remorse. Is there any way to go back?

First impression: Damn, it's still slow. LOL

I thought about doing a couple of quick before-and-after benchmarks about a nanosecond AFTER I hit the "install upgrade" button. Doh! Too late.

I thought about doing a couple of quick before-and-after benchmarks about a nanosecond AFTER I hit the "install upgrade" button. Doh! Too late.
It’s ok. There’s no place for objective data in these threads. It’s POA. What would we argue about?

You should have updated to 11 first. Then when you updated to 12, you would see the improvements.
Best I can tell, 10 wasn't fast, but it was faster than 11. So the improvements in 12 would not be as dramatic when going from 10 to 12, but at least you get the added features of 12 without the pain of 11's slowness.

I believe there is a bit of indexing (not sure that's the right technical term, or if it's just for computers) when you upgrade, so it may be a day or two before the full benefits are measurable.

It's always going to be better next year. IMO, this year is probably the best "S" year the iPhone has ever had. Plus, the person you were replying to is looking at the Xr, which is the "cheap" one, and those usually don't get an update every year. So, if that's the range you're looking at, there is no better time than now to get it.

I completely agree with the sentiment of not "waiting around" for technology. Your right - it's not something I typically do. Yea if you want the Xr then go for it. In my case, the 6S Plus is still a great phone, especially after upgrading to iOS12 and I just got my battery replaced last night for $29.

Is it any slower than 10.3 was? If I can get an up-to-date iOS without further slowing, that alone would make 12 worth installing.

My iPad mini didn't improve as much as my other devices but it's still better than it was, and I wasn't complaining. Scroll through a few thousand pictures in a photo app and the improved speed should be hard to miss. That's the biggest tell for me.

My iPad mini didn't improve as much as my other devices but it's still better than it was, and I wasn't complaining. Scroll through a few thousand pictures in a photo app and the improved speed should be hard to miss. That's the biggest tell for me.

Agreed. My iPad mini 4 wasn't as big of an improvement as my 6S Plus was. Still well worth upgrading though!

I really wish this thread had existed before I updated to IOS 11. Still, I'll wait a couple minor revisions before installing 12.

I really wish this thread had existed before I updated to IOS 11. Still, I'll wait a couple minor revisions before installing 12.

Sorry mate. I’d upgrade now...it’s buttery smooth.

Is it any slower than 10.3 was? If I can get an up-to-date iOS without further slowing, that alone would make 12 worth installing.

All I've really done so far is launch/use ForeFlight, which was pretty slow on the Mini 2 even under 10.3. It's still slow, but it's not noticeably different than before, so to me it's worth the upgrade just to get the new features without borking everything else up.

That makes sense to me. Punish yourself for updating to 11 by not updating to 12.

All I've really done so far is launch/use ForeFlight, which was pretty slow on the Mini 2 even under 10.3. It's still slow, but it's not noticeably different than before, so to me it's worth the upgrade just to get the new features without borking everything else up.
That's 90% of what I use mine for, so I'll probably update as soon as ForeFlight gives the go-ahead.

That's 90% of what I use mine for, so I'll probably update as soon as ForeFlight gives the go-ahead.
I flew with it (IOS 12 and FF) today. The only negative I found was that the "distance rings" around my ship seemed to be fixed size, and were not labeled. They used to be labeled with distances and would change sizes as I zoomed in or out. I changed the settings (to auto or fixed size) a few different times with no effect even when I closed foreflight (by double clicking (reducing the apps to "mini pages") and swiping them out of the way.
I'll be interested if anyone else sees that.

Back