OK, seaplane pilots... what's wrong with this picture

flyingron

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingRon
view

Looks like what I would expect it to look like if I tried to land an airplane on water.

OK dumb question. Did he flip because he had the wheels extended on landing...or something else entirely?

OK dumb question. Did he flip because he had the wheels extended on landing
Just another reason I love Archer.. I don't as much like the recent stuff since he fell in the coma, but they always nail the aviation themes, going back in all the show's history

Yes. Wheels always stay up for water landing, else you flip. Fast forward to about 1:10 for the wheels part

^the whole clip is pretty good "the autopilot just maintains course and altitude"

Thanks. Wasn't 100% sure they did not extend after the crash.

Landing gear up on land = scraping the paint off the keel strip

Landing gear down on water is much worse and more violent than even landing a normal plane gear up.

There is a reason amphib insurance is insane enough some don’t insure

Also amphib pilots tend to be the most OCD on gear position

Seems they were trying to escape Davy Jones Locker (PotC reference)

I sure hope they all got out okay.

Probably a non disciplined pilot not using a checklist.
If they did, this would be very unlikely.

Probably a non disciplined pilot not using a checklist.
If they did, this would be very unlikely.

True

5327_B800-2_CF2-45_B2-_A931-_E388_A64_FB8_A1.jpg

But the ramifications for screwing up are much higher, as can be seen in insurance premiums.

Just another reason I love Archer.. I don't as much like the recent stuff since he fell in the coma, but they always nail the aviation themes, going back in all the show's history

Yes. Wheels always stay up for water landing, else you flip. Fast forward to about 1:10 for the wheels part
Give it another try! this season they've got another Clipper twin they're playing around with in early WWII as well as Lotsa fun with Polikarpov I-153's, too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back