(N/A) Things that have gone by the wayside

Aviation connection: When our C-150E's avionics suite (a first-generation Narco Mk 12), acted up, I took its vacuum tubes to the tube tester at the local Thrifty Drug Store.

Yea..................because the remote box was too heavy to carry!

Had one of these back in the day, it was nifty cool:

RadioShackTRS80PC1_2.jpg
I have one of those in a box somewhere

The DAY I graduated from university with an engineering degree, was the DAY HP announced the HP-35

Nice! Bamboo slides and all. I learned to use one because nobody else could.
I have my dads. Ivory or bone, the leather case is slowly falling apart. I don't remember how to do much on it (nor on an E6B!)

I still have one of those adjustable timing lights, and it still works fine. I also found a couple points adjusting tools and a dwell meter.

Yup, I have one for the various non-EFI engines in our boats/muscle cars. We have converted most of them to electronic dizzy's though, so no need for the tools to clean points/set dwell.

Also one of these, complete with magnetic card reader:

320px--TI-59_Cardreader.ogv.jpg

That brings back memories. First calculator I owned was a HP-45. Still going strong after beer parties, knocked all over the place and perhaps a "smoky" environment. Runs only off 120VAC (batteries long expired). Still use it at work and is my favorite calculator!

And Oregon. When I was in South Korea in '03 they the station attendant was dressed like that.

And this is why I bought a diesel pickup and got a cardlock account(because of the Oregon part, not the South Korea part)

What about words?

Mergatroyd...

Do you remember that word? Would you believe the email spell checker did not recognize the word Mergatroyd?

Heavens to Mergatroyd!

The other day a not so elderly (I say 75) lady said something to her son about driving a Jalopy and he looked at her quizzically and said "What the heck is a Jalopy?"

He never heard of the word jalopy!! She knew she was old..... but not that old. Well, I hope you are Hunky Dory after you read this and chuckle.
About a month ago, I illuminated some old expressions that have become obsolete because of the inexorable march of technology.

These phrases included "Don't touch that dial," "Carbon copy," "You sound like a broken record" and "Hung out to dry."

Back in the olden days we had a lot of 'moxie.' We'd put on our best 'bib and tucker' to' straighten up and fly right'.
Heavens to Betsy! Gee whillikers! Jumping Jehoshaphat! Holy moley!

We were 'in like Flynn' and 'living the life of Riley'', and even a regular guy couldn't accuse us of being a knucklehead, a nincompoop or a pill. Not for all the tea in China!

Back in the olden days, life used to be swell, but when's the last time anything was swell?

Swell has gone the way of beehives, pageboys and the D.A.; of spats, knickers, fedoras, poodle skirts, saddle shoes and pedal pushers...AND DON'T FORGET.... Saddle Stitched Pants.

Oh, my aching back! Kilroy was here, but he isn't anymore.

We wake up from what surely has been just a short nap, and before we can say, Well, I'll be 'a monkey's uncle!' Or,
This is a 'fine kettle of fish'! We discover that the words we grew up with, the words that seemed omnipresent, as oxygen, have vanished with scarcely a notice from our tongues and our pens and our keyboards.

Poof, go the words of our youth, the words we've left behind. We blink, and they're gone.

Where have all those great phrases gone? Let's all go to the beach Saturday"...

Long gone: Pshaw, The milkman did it. Hey! It's your nickel. Don't forget to pull the chain. Knee high to a grasshopper.
Well, Fiddlesticks! Going like sixty. I'll see you in the funny papers. Don't take any wooden nickels. Wake up and smell the roses.

It turns out there are more of these lost words and expressions than Carter has liver pills. This can be disturbing stuff! ("Carter's Little Liver Pills" are gone too!)

We of a certain age have been blessed to live in changeable times. For a child each new word is like a shiny toy, a toy that has no age. We at the other end of the chronological arc have the advantage of remembering there are words that once did not exist and there were words that once strutted their hour upon the earthly stage and now are heard no more, except in our collective memory. It's one of the greatest advantages of aging.

Leaves us to wonder where Superman will find a phone booth...

See ya later, alligator!

Okidoki

WE ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE FABULOUS 50'S...NO ONE WILL EVER HAVE THAT OPPORTUNITY AGAIN...WE WERE GIVEN ONE OF OUR MOST PRECIOUS GIFTS:

OUR MEMORIES

Noah W

The speaker or the drive in? The drive in isn't completely dead. I think there's two in San Diego. A couple of years ago a company put a blow up screen on a large lot that you could watch from your car or you could set out chairs in front of the cars. I can't remember how they did the audio though. I think that only lasted one summer but it definitely had the drive-in feel to it.

The speaker or the drive in? The drive in isn't completely dead. I think there's two in San Diego. A couple of years ago a company put a blow up screen on a large lot that you could watch from your car or you could set out chairs in front of the cars. I can't remember how they did the audio though. I think that only lasted one summer but it definitely had the drive-in feel to it.

Yes, there are a very few number of drive ins around. I also remember going to a couple out door walk ins. I grew up in Texas and remember when just about every small town had a drive in theater. They were marked on VFR charts and were very good landmarks.

Yes, there are a very few number of drive ins around. <snippage> They were marked on VFR charts and were very good landmarks.
1968:
drive-ins.jpeg

Lots of symbols on the chart for things that are no longer there -- drive-ins, racetracks, mines, little airports ... Now there are windmills.

2018:
Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 10.30.59 AM.png

<sigh>

My parents took me to the drive-in a lot when I was a kid. Got the excess energy out on the swing set near the screen down in front in the late twilight before the previews and cartoons came on. I remember when we took our son, then age 4, to the drive-in to see "Star Wars" when it first came out (he's 44 now). Not the best picture or sound quality, but a much more pleasant movie-going experience with a small child.

Last edited:
My parents took me to the drive-in a lot when I was a kid. Got the excess energy out on the swing set near the screen down in front in the late twilight before the previews and cartoons came on. I remember when we took our son, then age 4, to the drive-in to see "Star Wars" when it first came out (he's 44 now). Not the best picture or sound quality, but a much more pleasant movie-going experience with a small child.

With the advent of modern car stereos, the sound is actually pretty nice. The Admiral Twin in Tulsa, OK (featured filming location for the Outsiders movie) broadcasts the audio over an FM radio frequency, so if you've got a decent car stereo, it's a decent experience. They also put in new screens in 2012 after a fire destroyed the old ones, so the quality isn't too bad.

large.JPG

As of my last visit to Costco ... Polish dogs! They still have the hotdogs, but polish dogs are gone by the wayside.
Which reminded me of other things that have gone by the wayside at the Costco food court
- Nachos
- fresh baked cookies

hmmm, I thought there was more... oh yeah, Coke products, but since I quit drinking pop, this was easy to accept.

Last edited:
I still have one of those adjustable timing lights, and it still works fine. I also found a couple points adjusting tools and a dwell meter.

Yup, still have all those. Creeper and Jack stands too, grease gun, haven't used any of them for years, maybe decades.

Yup, still have all those. Creeper and Jack stands too, grease gun, haven't used any of them for years, maybe decades.

I just bought my first brand new grease gun a couple years ago. All the old ones I inherited finally leaked more than what came out the end...

A few years ago someone built a new drive-in theater here, four screens. You pay and get to view two of the four movies. Even has a bar, restaurant, etc.

When I was working in Jackson, MN back in 2009, they had a fairly new (<5 years old) drive in. IIRC, it was only open Thurs-Sun nights, but each night was a double-showing. My wife and I watched the first new Transformers movie there. Pretty cool.

When I was working in Jackson, MN back in 2009, they had a fairly new (<5 years old) drive in. IIRC, it was only open Thurs-Sun nights, but each night was a double-showing. My wife and I watched the first new Transformers movie there. Pretty cool.

Yup, the Admiral Twin I mentioned above gets it's name from the two screens and they do double-features.

images

Actually, I just used mine to take my IFR written. Only needed it on a few questions and was cheaper than an electronic one.

Back