Flight Bag Recommendations?

Mr.T

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Marty
I'm looking for a new flight bag - currently using the Sporty's iPad bag but find it not really big enough. I need to carry 2 headsets, a 9.7" iPad, handheld radio and various cables, backup batteries. etc. - plus maybe a paper chart or two (call me old fashioned).

I've looked at the Sporty's "Captain's Bag" but not sure I'm impressed with it.

What else should I consider?

I’d work on moving away from needing a flight bag, but this is the top dog in flight bags.

https://lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

la-police-gear-black-bailout-bag-and-tan-usa-flag-hat-package-deal-9.gif

Last edited:
After trying several cheaper flight bags I finally bought a Brightline bag years ago and never regretted it. It swallowed everything that I had in my previous bag and still had plenty of room left over.

They’re not cheap but they’re sturdy and the modular design lets you start small and add on as your needs and gear grow

How bout a second small bag???
I see ppl with these big flight bags which is think is crazy. I park next to the hangar and make more then one trip.
The prices on some of the flight bags are absolutely ridiculous.

Yep. The tactical bags work awesome. Mine is from 5.11 and has plenty of room for my headset, stratus case and all the other crap I bring along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Personally, I went to Value Village/Salvation Army and bought a small samsonite duffel bag thing that had a side pocket that is iPad sized and I can put everything else inside the bigger pocket.

If I need more space, I'd get one of the tactical bags. I just don't have that much stuff.

Before you spend $75+ on something, stop in a thrift store and see if you can find something for $3 (seriously, they were having a bag sale when I got mine).

When I carried a bunch of stuff, I used the Flight Gear Navigator Bag. I still use it as a bag for the family and their stuff.

I wanted something smaller and went with a Brightline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Laptop bag: Holds up to 4 headsets when packed right, backup radio, charts, tablets, GDLxx, flashlights, etc.

Bonus: Because its thin, it slides upright between the front seats in the skylane so it doesn't take any seat area during flight. And I can just reach down and grab out stuff.

Goal: Own a TTx and a hangar and never have to haul a flight bag around again :)

Laptop back pack from Walmart, near the aviation aisle... $35.00 spent. easily holds 2 headsets, ipad, kneeboard, pens, pencils, batteries, and all of the other associated stuff I accrue and carry around.

Goal: Mooch off of Sinistar and fly the wings off his TTx when he isn't looking.

I had almost the entire Brightline collection so I could mix and match however I wanted, I dumped it and got a small Tom Bihn backpack. I still carry way too much, but at least it's in a smaller package with 2 shoulder straps.

I replaced my Brightline for a backpack bag, Sportys flight gear HP. It is suitable for a lot of stuff but the quality is not so good. The shoulder strap came loose after a few usages. As I am in Europe they refunded the whole thing without having to return so I got it fixed. Bag is fine but always seem to lean forward when loaded. I would recommend something else.

Recently got this bag from Amazon

17 Inch Laptop Backpack,Extra Large Travel Backpacks with USB Charging Port for Business Women Mens, Large Capacity Bookbag for College School Student,TSA Friendly Water Resistant Computer Bagpack Red

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BTPXF5R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_yAQOBb2CVM8XV

3412C0F8-0C94-4E51-A4E1-6CD775FDE472.jpeg

$50 and the volume of this pack is enough to carry any aviation thing you'd want short of the actual aircraft and your instructor.

What features do you like in a bag? Are you an "everything in its place" kind of a guy? If so, something like Brightline is probably a good fit.

I'm near the opposite end of the organization spectrum. I want to get at everything one handed in one motion, so I don't want to fiddle with all the zippers on a brightline.

Maybe the ASA Air Classics will do it for you? http://www.marvgolden.com/asa-airclassics-flight-bag.html

I found it easier to leave most things in the plane in the hangar. Before that I carried a three compartment duffel bag made by Igloo. The center section had a zip out insulator. When it was in I could carry cold beverages and when out more junk. The outer bags were the right size for headsets and one zipped off and had a carry strap.

Today, I still carry an Igloo bag. It is a small backpack that I carry my survival and first aid gear in the outer pockets and cool beverage in the inner pocket. I leave the headsets in the plane along with the tablet I mounted to the panel.

What am I missing? I bring iPad, iPhone, airplane keys, and a bottle of water. Why the bag?

I have a Brightline bag I got off eBay, it's very handy. The dedicated pockets are great for when you need to get something from your bag quickly without the need of rifling thru a bunch of other crap.

What am I missing? I bring iPad, iPhone, airplane keys, and a bottle of water. Why the bag?

ANR headset (2 when a guest is flying with me), iPad, Stratux w/battery pack and bulky antennas, 12v power plug and cables for aforementioned devices, handheld radio, water bottle, pens and pencils, spare batteries for the ANR headset, headlamp and mini-mag flashlight for night flight (and of course spare batteries for both), old fashioned paper charts, old fashioned knee board with paper, iPad yoke mount, bifocals, giant out-of-fashion Serengeti Driver sunglasses (with stick on magnifiers, no less), sometimes a view limiting device, clean underwear (you never know...), my lucky rabbit's foot, etc. etc.

More than I can carry in an armload. I'm liking the laptop backpack suggestions but also like the look of the Flight Outfitters and Brightline bags...

I have a Brightline bag I got off eBay, it's very handy. The dedicated pockets are great for when you need to get something from your bag quickly without the need of rifling thru a bunch of other crap.

Get rid of the crap. Headset, EFB, drink, snack, back up radio, notebook and pens. What else do you need?

I think that 2nd one is for the Otto pilot... an actual human pilot named Otto

Get rid of the crap. Headset, EFB, drink, snack, back up radio, notebook and pens. What else do you need?

Flashlight, headlamp, multi-tool, sectional, fuel tester, Stratux, back-up batteries, kneeboard thingy for my EFB... Everything at one point was needed.

Please tell me you kept the “LA Police Gear” patch on it lmao

Lol, nah, actually got my last name, there was a patch place on eBay I found, like 15 or 20 bucks or something.

The few times I bring the bag I do use the pistol divider part though ;)

Last edited:
... old fashioned knee board with paper, ...
Save some time, laminate a 5x8 index card and use a grease pencil. I've had one on my knee board since flight training along with a piece of cloth to clean it and it has been the best tool ever.

the only comment I will offer is that any bag you get, make sure it has a white or other bright color interior. It is “h.” trying to find stuff in a black bag! Doubly difficult in low light conditions.

Lol, nah, actually got my last name, there was a patch place on eBay I found, like 15 or 20 bucks or something.

The few times I bring the bag I do use the pistol divider part though ;)

I bought mine because of your recommendation two years ago. I have two tags on mine. One Air Force style with the wings that says: "Not Yours" in the name block and this right next to it.

61tNzLSrJAL._AC_US218_.jpg

Last edited:
I bought mine because of your recommendation two years ago. I have two tags on mine. One Air Force style with the wings that says: "Not Yours" in the name block and this right next to it.

61j-8Ja2lYL._AC_US218_.jpg

2 years ago...damn! Time flies

I got this one not long ago. It's plenty big for most everything you want. I definitely wouldn't go bigger. Lightweight and seems sturdy.
I keep a smaller bag inside this one for most quick flights but grab the whole thing when it's cross country. Can keep a change of clothes in it, and everything else you mentioned.

https://www.galls.com/galls-original-streetpro-gear-bag

Dayammmmm!

It sounds like buying a plane so you can just leave all that sh*t in it instead of carrying it around might be the cheaper option from what youse guys have posted! ;)

It sounds like buying a plane so you can just leave all that sh*t in it instead of carrying it around might be the cheaper option from what youse guys have posted! ;)

Werd..... :yeahthat:

Dayammmmm!

I do. Still gotta have sumpin to keep it all in. ;)

Seems there's an awful lot of pilots here who never needed a flashlight or needed to fix a loose cowl fastener or something away from home base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I leave most of the crap in the plane...headsets, flight clipboard, supplemental flight manuals and STCs etc. I carry a small Brightline bag to hold tablet, emergency equipment, tools, hand held radio, electrical cables, flight planning forms, spare batteries, GPS memory cards, headlamp, flashlights, Portable GPS, small snacks, etc. I can keep it beside me or just behind me in flight. It can go with me at my destination for flight planning away from the airport and refreshment of batteries, etc. The zillion pockets make it easy to find the right item inflight as necessary. It will zip in half to make it even smaller to take away from the plane as needed. Headsets can go under the seat and the canopy gets covered to keep out curious eyes.

Maps? Who needs stinking maps? I've got 4 independent GPS units in the plane, including two EFB devices. It would be hard to lose all mapping capability.

A backpack would be way too big.

Back