How would you add a turbonormalizer to an O-320 in EXP plane?

Yep, but then you are not turbo normalizing, but turbo ing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yep, but even with a TN setup you add 2" of MP to make up for the back pressure of the turbine to make equal power.considering he's running EXP, no reason he can't add a couple inches on top of that.

This sounds like one of these projects that ends with a bent experimental at the end of a runway and everyone scratching their head 'what did he do that for?'.

This sounds like one of these projects that ends with a bent experimental at the end of a runway and everyone scratching their head 'what did he do that for?'.

No, it'll be obvious if there's a problem with turbo sizing on ground checks.

I'd be interested in finding out why, since TN technology has been around for 3 generations, and I'm a decent engineer. I'm kinda cheap, but don't plan to limit the cheapness to some tape, screws and bubble gum.

I'd be interested in finding out why, since TN technology has been around for 3 generations, and I'm a decent engineer. I'm kinda cheap, but don't plan to limit the cheapness to some tape, screws and bubble gum.

Each and every of these TN systems was built by companies that spent a lot of time testing their setup on an engine test stand. You are setting out to fix a problem that doesn't need fixing with a n=1 production run. Look at the data on the FAAs review of experimental accidents, dicking around with the powerplant and using converted car engines is the leading cause of mechanical engine failure in experimentals.

If you need the performance to get out of high DA airports, just buy a plane that has the extra hp to do so. Or if that is not to your liking, buy a TIO-360-C1A6D and sell your current engine to offset the cost.

Each and every of these TN systems was built by companies that spent a lot of time testing their setup on an engine test stand. You are setting out to fix a problem that doesn't need fixing with a n=1 production run. Look at the data on the FAAs review of experimental accidents, dicking around with the powerplant and using converted car engines is the leading cause of mechanical engine failure in experimentals.

If you need the performance to get out of high DA airports, just buy a plane that has the extra hp to do so. Or if that is not to your liking, buy a TIO-360-C1A6D and sell your current engine to offset the cost.

It's really not rocket science and there are known STC'd systems that were even factory installed on the IO-320 that can easily be adapted to the O-320 using a plenum box from an STCd O-360 application which used the same turbo. None of this is new stuff really.

Well, I'll grant that EXP has a worse safety rating than cert. I've said that all along. There are ways to make the safety aspect tilt in my favor, and there are ways to make it worse.

If I had wanted to write a check for $60,000+ for something, I would have done just that. I'm not on the bleeding edge, nor even the leading edge of technology here. If I use conservative engineering principles, a well proven turbo, and do good workmanship, I think this will turn out fine. If it doesn't produce what I expect, I'm ready to change turbos, or plenums, or even change from blow through to draw through, or modify the exhaust as needed.

I take a serious view to safety, and don't plan to do much experimentation with strange things. The turbo and plenum I just bought is to test the exhaust fittings and see what kind of pressures I get, and follow the temps closely. The engine will be instrumented with 4 probe CHT, 4 probe EGT, TIT, 2 MP gauges in for comp outlet and intake/plenum pressures. In addition to the regular gauges. I'm going to be working out of a runway that's 9600' at 900' elevation with grass overruns on each end. Sure, it could end badly. That's the nature of 'experimental'. It's also why I'm on here asking questions and discussing things. Sadly, aside from a few cogent pieces of info, some of the commentary is pretty useless.

I gave my calcs for the flow rate in CuFt/min. I'm guessing 200-240CFM for a 320 @ 2700. This seems to correlate pretty well with a single choke MA-4 carb. How big, or what model is recommended?

I've been trying to find the specs for the Rayjay 325 turbo, but it's too old, not much info available.

Air Reaserch bought out Rayjay and still produce the same units IIRC.

Hello,
I am interested in knowing how this adventure moved on!
I have a 0-200 on my experimental and live in a mountain area (Switzerland). I am looking at resources to improve safety on my plane (TN should prevent icing of the carb).
Cheers,

I am also looking at the Rotax 914 as an alternative to my O-200. It's already turbocharged, accepts automotive fuel, has similar TBO (but not for same price), is compatible with many CS props, is fuel injected with an EMS.
The Rotax 914 gives 115HP, about same as my 0-200 which comes from a Cassutt Racer. My current engine has a very low time, I might put it for sale if I can't find a solution to TN it and buy a Rotax with it. What's your thought ?

it's my Cassutt Racer; I don't plan on doing AirRace1 events with it and so I could TN it. I live in Switzerland and having a TN on my 0-200 or installing a Rotax Turbo would help increase flight safety (and also stop my concerns about possible carburetor icing, even it never happened, I doubt I would be speaking here if it did).

Back