FAA High Altitude Training

USAF-LT-G

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
USAF-LT-G
So I know the FAA has a "free" High Altitude training, and although I think it's really cool, I can't find any info on if it actually "counts" towards anything, because it doesn't give you the endorsement. They give you a certificate saying you did the course, but no endorsement.

I'll need a High Altitude endorsement for PIC of a 421C, and I'm just trying to figure out if this training even counts towards the endorsement at all. As in, does it satisfy the ground or any of the simulated stuff? I'm not questioning the value of the training itself in their chambers, I completely get the value.... I'm just not certain it actually "counts" towards anything.

So I know the FAA has a "free" High Altitude training, and although I think it's really cool, I can't find any info on if it actually "counts" towards anything, because it doesn't give you the endorsement. They give you a certificate saying you did the course, but no endorsement.

I'll need a High Altitude endorsement for PIC of a 421C, and I'm just trying to figure out if this training even counts towards the endorsement at all. As in, does it satisfy the ground or any of the simulated stuff? I'm not questioning the value of the training itself in their chambers, I completely get the value.... I'm just not certain it actually "counts" towards anything.
Contact CAMI in OKC and ask them.

Contact CAMI in OKC and ask them.

Was kind of hoping for others experience. I haven't had the chance to call them yet during their normally operating hours.

It won't give you the endorsement because it doesn't do any of the airplane stuff...flight above 25,000 feet and an emergency descent are required for the endorsement, IIRC.

In order to count for the ground training portion, it would have to cover the specific areas listed in the reg as well. More than likely it does, but you'd have to find that documentation. It appears you understand that. Have 61.31 handy when you talk to them.

Your best bet is to just get the endorsement done with an airplane or simulator course, but the altitude chamber training is definitely valuable, too. Do that when you can.

Are you thinking of their PROTE oxygen deprivation training course?
I don’t think it has ever been advertised as high altitude training to meet the requirements of the high altitude endorsement.

PROTE is an oxygen deprivation nitrogen enriched chamber to teach hypoxia systems. It does not get into high altitude weather, gas expansion, pressurization systems and others items required by 61.31(g).

You can get the certification (and other cool experiences) by taking a weekend ATOP course on a B737 or A320 sim.

Back