O-290-D Parts Availability?

hamer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
hamer
I’m very close to buying a Cessna 120 that’s been upgraded with an O-290-D. The engine has about 1000 since overhaul. In my research I’ve seen grumblings online about the O290 being scarce in spare parts. To be honest it’s not clear if that’s specific to the 290, or the D or D2, G, etc.

Anyone have any experience specifically with the O-290-D? Should I be worried about this?

I own two airplanes with engines and props on them that are largely unsupported. One of them is a Lycoming o-435, which has some similar heritage to the 290. A 290 of any flavor is not a 235, 320 or 360 so parts will be harder to come by.

The biggest thing I've found is that you will need to be resourceful when it comes to finding parts. Used might be your only answer, or if new parts are available they are likely only going to be available from a single source. For the most part this isn't a problem until you need to find a hard to find part which can then cause your airplane to sit, possibly for an extended period of time, while you're scouring the country looking for what you need.

I wouldn't let this deter you from buying a 290 powered airplane but at this point in time I think it is important to understand what the realities of owning an older, less supported engine/airframe are.

I own two airplanes with engines and props on them that are largely unsupported. One of them is a Lycoming o-435, which has some similar heritage to the 290. A 290 of any flavor is not a 235, 320 or 360 so parts will be harder to come by.

The biggest thing I've found is that you will need to be resourceful when it comes to finding parts. Used might be your only answer, or if new parts are available they are likely only going to be available from a single source. For the most part this isn't a problem until you need to find a hard to find part which can then cause your airplane to sit, possibly for an extended period of time, while you're scouring the country looking for what you need.

I wouldn't let this deter you from buying a 290 powered airplane but at this point in time I think it is important to understand what the realities of owning an older, less supported engine/airframe are.

I've got you beat: I've got 2 GO-435s. I buy all the spares I can get my hands on...

I would certainly worry about this. The "D" is an OK engine. The "D2" is NOT. With the plethora of 120/140's for sale to choose from I would certainly favor one with the O-200 crank etc STC done on a good C-85.

Thanks for the input, do you mind expanding a little on why the D is “ok” and the D2 is not?

I can't wait till someone chimes in "what about owner produced parts" lol. Engine parts? lol dream on

Not sure how much truth there is to parts being difficult to find, they are however much more expensive. Last time I looked cylinders were about twice that of an 0-320. I would look for something else unless this one was a screaming deal.

All things being equal, I'd choose a plane with something other than a 290, but I wouldn't turn down an otherwise good deal because of it. I'm actually probably going to buy a 290 powered plane tomorrow. With 500SMOH it'll probably (hopefully) be quite a few years before I have to any major work on it as often as I fly. A high time O-290 might be another story.

Thanks for the input everyone. The airplane has about 900hrs since major overhaul, and about 150 on the topend. The compressions are all equal but they are only 65. The airplane only has 5-6hrs on it in the last few years, so I'm thinking they may come up as it gets some time on it?

The airplane only has 5-6hrs on it in the last few years, so I'm thinking they may come up as it gets some time on it?
It could. Possibly from the rusted cam letting go and the resulting metal roughing up the cylinders so the rings seat better.

With all the headaches of maintaining an old airplane, having to deal with the parts availability and quirks of a 290 makes zero sense. I'd price any aircraft with a 290 below one with a run out 320. Not to mention putting that boat anchor on a 120 was a bad idea to begin with.

Back