I have a weird question

Imagine you’re watching a movie about a pilot terrified to fly. Would you want to fly with that guy?

You gotta ask yourself am I Ted Striker ?

Or did I lose my edge, like Cougar?

Very interesting thread...good read.

I’m going to play devils advocate to all the encouragement going on... “completely effing scared” doesn’t sound like a good state of mind to be doing anything high-stakes in, assuming you were not exaggerating.

Creative license :)

Hey, everyone, been a while.

Has anyone else gone through a phase like this? what am I supposed to do? how do I get over it? what's going on? truth is I won't even take off anymore in situations that in the past I wouldn't think twice about.

What's going on?

Help!

I'm still fairly new with just a bit over 150 hours total Light Sport. I rarely find myself nervous when I'm flying but, man, do I ever second guess and obsess over stuff at 2 am...I'll wake up in a cold sweat when I realize that <thing I did that worked out OK> could have been <details at 11>.

Think of it like golfers getting 'the yips'. If it's bad, go back up with a CFI and work on specific issues that are bothering you. I also do a debrief after every flight using CloudAhoy with data ported in from ForeFlight. It really helps me be honest with what I did and how I was flying.

I'm a low time private pilot, 65 hours. I'm always running through situations in my head of what could go wrong, but there were only two times I felt what I would call fear. Not panic, just fear. One I was doing a blind take off under the hood with my CFI. I knew he was there, but man was that an eye opening (or closed? :confused:) experience. Second my latest cross country to KPDK in our clubs 172. I left KDPK around 9:30, well past sunset. After departing I was mesmerized by how beautiful all the city lights were on climb out. Then it hit me I have no freaking clue where I would put down the airplane if I lost the engine. I had a quick 10 seconds of horrible thoughts running through my head, then realized there is nothing I could do about it. I decided to get to I-85 as quick as I could to have a possible emergency landing spot and stay focused and vigilant. Ended up being one of the most enjoyable flights I've had.
I know PDK, and there are very few spots to put it in event of engine failure on departure/climbout. But yes, the sights are nice.

Dad told me the other night, that he would be giving up his spurs, and quit flying. He's not as comfortable as he used to be.
He told me that he didn't go fly yesterday because the wind was about 6mph 40degree crosswind. That should be a non-event in a Cherokee 140. I've seen him do "greasers" in the T-50 with 20kt at 60* just doing touch and goes.
So, I'll be bringing the airplane back home this week. :(

Me: "Is this the airplane/flight that's finally going to kill me?"
Self: "I don't know. Let's find out."
And then the other voices choose sides and the catcalls and cheering starts. It can get very noisy until I push the throttle forward.
Then it all gets sublime.

Hoping to fly another airshow this weekend.

So, here are my thoughts on your situation... I bet you're a destination pilot. By that, I mean that most if not all of your flying is about getting to a destination. You fly mostly at altitude in a straight line. You may be OK with anomalies, but you experience them so rarely, the thought of them has grown into a general fear of flying. Although you've amassed quite a few hours, you've not been flying the plane very much. You've been driving it. When was the last time you went up to practice steep turns, or slow flight, or stalls, or to do several touch and go's on a cross-windy day, and not fly to a destination? Have you gone up just to practice whatever makes you nervous lately? FWIW, the majority of my flying has nothing to do with a destination, and rarely has anything to do with a straight line at an altitude. I think it's because of that, that I'm quite at ease flying... and why I carry sick saks for my passengers. Of course, I could be wrong... I usually am.

And then the other voices choose sides and the catcalls and cheering starts. It can get very noisy until I push the throttle forward.

Lol so true...this is what goes on in my head. Someone seriously needs to make that into a meme.

Here we go:

B9E575B1-25A3-4DFE-A87F-9F7661E1F3CB.jpeg

Back