iPad to Bluetooth Audio Panel

JGoodish

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JGoodish
I'm looking at different scenarios to upgrade the panel of my Cherokee. One of them has me sacrificing an installed ADS-B In solution in favor of a portable, and just running audio alerts from ForeFlight on the iPhone/iPad through a Bluetooth audio panel such as the PMA8000BT. Since I would likely only have a smaller GPS installed (GTN650 or IFD440), I'm not sure that installed ADS-B In would really get me much. I get the FIS-B weather today on the iPad, I am just missing traffic alerts through the intercom system.

The question is, will this plan work? The advantage is cost. What are the disadvantages?

Foreflight has audible alerts that can go to your panel or directly to your headset.

Foreflight has audible alerts that can go to your panel or directly to your headset.

Can't go to the headset, since my headset does not support Bluetooth. I assume that if I pair the iPad/iPhone to the audio panel, ForeFlight audio alerts would go through the audio system in a similar manner as if they were coming from an in-panel device?

I basically need a new panel, and can save a few thousand ($2.5k on the ADS-B piece alone) if I go the mixed-manufacturer route versus all-Garmin. I like Garmin's stuff, but I don't love the GTN650 over the IFD440, don't love the added $1k+ for FlightStream, and don't know that the GTX345 is worth an extra $2.5k to get ADS-B In to the panel when it seems that all I'm giving up over a portable solution is the audio alert feed (don't need AHRS, already have a panel-mount attitude backup).

Portable in solutions won’t display on your panel devices. The GTX345 works with Avidyne though it’s apparently a bit finicky to set up right. Looks nice once it’s running though. My own preference would be the 345 and IFD540.

I'm looking at different scenarios to upgrade the panel of my Cherokee. One of them has me sacrificing an installed ADS-B In solution in favor of a portable, and just running audio alerts from ForeFlight on the iPhone/iPad through a Bluetooth audio panel such as the PMA8000BT. Since I would likely only have a smaller GPS installed (GTN650 or IFD440), I'm not sure that installed ADS-B In would really get me much. I get the FIS-B weather today on the iPad, I am just missing traffic alerts through the intercom system.

The question is, will this plan work?

Yes, it will work. With a Bluetooth audio panel you will be able to hear Foreflight's audio traffic alerts, from your iPad, through your headset. That's what I do with a PMA450.

BTW, I love my PMA450. I installed it, replacing my Garmin audio panel, because I wanted the USB charger outlet, but I found that I truly like the sound, the user interface, and the bluetooth.

Can't go to the headset, since my headset does not support Bluetooth. I assume that if I pair the iPad/iPhone to the audio panel, ForeFlight audio alerts would go through the audio system in a similar manner as if they were coming from an in-panel device?

Doesn't have to be Blue Tooth. The old cord with jack I/O works fine too.

Portable in solutions won’t display on your panel devices. The GTX345 works with Avidyne though it’s apparently a bit finicky to set up right. Looks nice once it’s running though. My own preference would be the 345 and IFD540.

I thought about pairing the GTX345 with the IFD440, but the point is that it's ~$2500 more than an "Out-only" transponder. Given that both the IFD440 and GTN650 have smaller screens, I suspect that there isn't a huge advantage to having the "In" data displayed on them. Unless I'm missing something, the biggest thing that I would lose would be traffic alerting, hence my original question. I suppose that it would be nice to have weather and traffic displayed on the iPad-driven IFD100, but that's probably not a big deal if I have another EFB running for that purpose.

In pricing out an all-Garmin stack, it appears that the GTN650 is ~$1k more than the IFD440, and the FlightStream 510 is ~1k-1.5k additional. Add in the additional $2.5k for the GTX345 over an "Out-only" transponder, and I could pay for the TruTrak autopilot that I'm considering. I don't want to skimp on the panel if I'm sacrificing functionality, but I'm not sure that I am in this case.

Don't have an aux input, either. If I'm replacing the audio panel, it would appear to make more sense to rely on Bluetooth.

I basically need a new panel, and can save a few thousand ($2.5k on the ADS-B piece alone) if I go the mixed-manufacturer route versus all-Garmin. I like Garmin's stuff, but I don't love the GTN650 over the IFD440, don't love the added $1k+ for FlightStream, and don't know that the GTX345 is worth an extra $2.5k to get ADS-B In to the panel when it seems that all I'm giving up over a portable solution is the audio alert feed (don't need AHRS, already have a panel-mount attitude backup).

Just make sure that, whether you're using a cord or Bluetooth, the audio panel isn't going to assume it's music and mute it when there's radio traffic (or any of your headsets break squelch).

Just curious. How many of you have actually flown with traffic and weather on a 430/530? It shows up fine. It also shows up on FF. I wish would have investigated the L3 9000 further before buying, but the GTX345 and 430 along with FF are serving quite well.

Just curious. How many of you have actually flown with traffic and weather on a 430/530? It shows up fine. It also shows up on FF. I wish would have investigated the L3 9000 further before buying, but the GTX345 and 430 along with FF are serving quite well.

I had the 530/430/345 combo in the Deb, traffic and stormscope weather displayed on the 430 and flight plan w/traffic on the 530. It also had the FS210 for connectivity to my iPad mini and the PMA 8000BT for the audio panel.

PMA8000BT features that I really liked were the (IntelliVox) automatic VOX system and also the ease in which I could call for clearances if needed with the cell phone interface. The Split mode for dual audio panel capability and for my bride the extra front panel utility jack for her iPod (or phone).

How do I get the Foreflight audibles to play through my head set? For example: "Entering runway XX"? I have a GMA345.GTX345

How do I get the Foreflight audibles to play through my head set? For example: "Entering runway XX"? I have a GMA345.GTX345
Pair your iPad with the GMA345.

Then make sure you have the desired mute setting. On my PS Engineering panel, I put it into off (or karaoke) mode so any intercom or ATC talk not directed at me does not interrupt the beats. To make sure it's not distracting, I have the volume turned down to background level.

I do in my A36 commercial pilot gig.

Yesterday and today were very.... colorful.

If in doubt, call PS Engineering and have a conversation with them about your options. They have incredibly good customer support, and sometimes even Mark Scheur, one of the founders of the company, picks up the phone.

If in doubt, call PS Engineering and have a conversation with them about your options. They have incredibly good customer support, and sometimes even Mark Scheur, one of the founders of the company, picks up the phone.
And participates on PoA. @mscheuer

Someone said that if one uses BT to pipe in audio alerts that the alerts would be muted.
Most likely not a PMA450B user. One of the very unique capability it has is the pilot can hear what they want to hear, at what volume level they desire, and mute the way they want. i.e. Pilot select say BT2 which is paired to the iPad, the copilot could decide to hear BT1, music 1, music 2, OR any combination thereof. Same thing holds for the passengers but they are not able to combine sources like the pilot and copilot can. They can listen to music 1, music 2, BT1, or BT2. So the pilot can hear unmuted alerts if set up that way from the front panel. Finally, all these setting can be remembered for the next flight, no resetting necessary. So much more, love to chat. They are in stock too.
Mark
PS Engineering
865-988-9800

Pair your iPad with the GMA345.

Then make sure you have the desired mute setting. On my PS Engineering panel, I put it into off (or karaoke) mode so any intercom or ATC talk not directed at me does not interrupt the beats. To make sure it's not distracting, I have the volume turned down to background level.
NOTE: with the GMA345 it is my understanding that EVERYONE will hear the audio alerts. During installation a switch at the rear of the audio panel can be flipped so then passengers will ALWAYS and ONLY hear music 2. In another words, IMHO, there is no music distribution only music selection.

Will your proposed portable ADS-B satisfy the “ADS-B out” requirement?

also, there’s a lot to be said for removing all extraneous cables in the cockpit.

what is that?
Mute setting?

That is where you can select how the music is muted.

1) everything, intercoms and radio transmissions interrupt and mute the music
2) radio transmissions interrupt and mute, but not intercom
3) music plays the entire time

I have a FreeFlight ADS-B in receiver connected to my 430w for traffic. I rarely use it since I get traffic on ForeFlight. The 430w requires you to go to a separate page which only displays traffic. Would be better if it was integrated with the map.

He, in the last three years this is exactly what I’ve learned. At the time I wrote that I was just beginning to use the 345, 430W, FF combination. Time rolls on and hopefully we all continue to learn.

Traffic and weather on a 430, 440 or 650 does leave something to be desired because, as you say, the screen is very small. The main benefit, I would say, is that it is always there and always on. I have a Dynon SkyView in my planes, so it’s a non-issue, but when I didn’t, I really liked having traffic mainly on my navigator. When just doing pattern flying, which is usually where mid-airs happen, you are really doing to have your iPad out and active, at least if you’re anything like me. Having traffic that is always there is really handy in this case. Weather is a little different. The weather in the 430 is pathetically low resolution, and is mainly just nexrad on the main map. The 440 and 650 are higher resolution and look a lot better. Only you can decide if it’s worth $2,500 to add that. I would say, “it depends…”

Traffic and weather on a 430, 440 or 650 does leave something to be desired because, as you say, the screen is very small. The main benefit, I would say, is that it is always there and always on. I have a Dynon SkyView in my planes, so it’s a non-issue, but when I didn’t, I really liked having traffic mainly on my navigator. When just doing pattern flying, which is usually where mid-airs happen, you are really doing to have your iPad out and active, at least if you’re anything like me. Having traffic that is always there is really handy in this case. Weather is a little different. The weather in the 430 is pathetically low resolution, and is mainly just nexrad on the main map. The 440 and 650 are higher resolution and look a lot better. Only you can decide if it’s worth $2,500 to add that. I would say, “it depends…”
My 430W only gives traffic. Is there a 430W configuration setting that would provide weather?

Back