SL30 install

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Woof! I just got a quote of $5600 to install an SL30, and I provide the radio (which only cost me $2000 used) !

Aint gonna happen. Will be content with my old TKM 12. Might install a G5 later this year.

Woof! I just got a quote of $5600 to install an SL30, and I provide the radio (which only cost me $2000 used) !

Aint gonna happen. Will be content with my old TKM 12. Might install a G5 later this year.

Wrong response... look elsewhere, or do it yourself under supervision.

Paul

A lot of shops are swamped with ADS-B installs and pricing reflects it. $5600 is robbery tho. $5600 in labor should buy a lot more than that

That's what - 50-60 hours of labor?

GMAFB!

That's not a real quote, that's a " we don't want this job, but are afraid to just tell you that" quote.

Yea, that's WAYYYY over what it really is. You'll like the SL30...do it

Yea, that's WAYYYY over what it really is. You'll like the SL30...do it
I already have an SL30 in the airplane, wanted to get rid of the TKM. Already told the shop it was unreasonable. Years ago I had the new SL30 installed for a total under $5k. I can't nor will I do it myself. I do software, not hardware. just got a call from a hangar neighbor, A&P and avionics cert. He'll take a look this weekend and give me a price.

I can't nor will I do it myself. I do software, not hardware. just got a call from a hangar neighbor, A&P and avionics cert. He'll take a look this weekend and give me a price.
I do hardware but when the opportunity presents itself to learn a little software, I take it. You might want to tell your neighbor that you will gopher him during the installation. Who knows, you might learn something. Might even get your fingernails dirty.

Jim

I do hardware but when the opportunity presents itself to learn a little software, I take it. You might want to tell your neighbor that you will gopher him during the installation. Who knows, you might learn something. Might even get your fingernails dirty.

Jim
Jim, I'd love to, but after knee replacement, I can barely get in and out of the car or airplane. Impossible for me to crawl under the panel. All I can do is bring pizza & beer.

Jim, I'd love to, but after knee replacement, I can barely get in and out of the car or airplane
Give the knee some time, took me a year before I was feeling good. I'm on my feet from 4am to 7pm, working underground in a silver mine 7am to 4pm. Everything outside the 7 to 4 is travel. Wish you luck in the healing process,

You get a jar of Vaseline when you got the quote as you will need a large one! The SL30 is an awesome radio (another not Garmin product that became a Garmin product after they bought Apollo) but in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM should it take that much to install it. Read the install manual. Even if they wire to a GPS, it's 3 RS232 wires. This is one simple radio to install.

I think the shop didn't want to say no so they just cranked up the price so you go away. This way they never told you "No".

An update....the #1 avionics shop in 3 states (and has done all my other avionics work) just estimated $800 for the SL30, and in one day (altho I'd have to leave it and come back - I'm not flying over the hills at night). Compare this to the "new" avionics shop that estimated $3600 for comm only, $5600 for nav/com.

Downside - they can't do it for a few months - swamped with ADSB and such. I'm thinking of not getting the used SL30 and saving my pennies for a GPS.

Back