Beverly MA, 17 YO student pilot lands after wheel fell off.

Merit to it? I dunno. Learning to fly right has merit IMO. Saying only do it this way because its less likely you'll bend something if you suck seems like a band aid solution at best but that's just me.

I like the fact she elected not to stay on the runway. Freed it up for other traffic. That’s thinking ahead even for a 60 hr student. ;)

Student pilots get plastic certificates now that the AMEs don't issue them. In a pinch, the FSDO can issue a paper temporary, but the way you're supposed to do is wait for the IACRA submission to cause your plastic one to be issued.

You can print a temporary cert off the IACRA website once they do whatever they do. Plastic one comes about 4 weeks later. The paper one is fine to solo.

Student pilots get plastic certificates now that the AMEs don't issue them. In a pinch, the FSDO can issue a paper temporary, but the way you're supposed to do is wait for the IACRA submission to cause your plastic one to be issued.

Actually about a week after a CFI verifies all the info (IACRA.faa.org) the student will get an email stating their temporary Student Pilot Certificate is available. The students logs in and prints their SPC out, which, along with a medical certificate, and the CFI endorsement, allows one to solo. The student will get their plastic "permanent" (identical to our plastic certificates except it's a SPC) anywhere from a month or two later. All endorsements are now done in the student's logbook.

Merit to it? I dunno. Learning to fly right has merit IMO. Saying only do it this way because its less likely you'll bend something if you suck seems like a band aid solution at best but that's just me.
I honestly don't know what it is you're taking issue with. Crab and kick vs. slipping had been debated here many times. If you watch the video, you'll hear her instructor tell her to slip into the crosswind just as she's been practicing, which will also mean the bum leg will touch down last. Hence my comment. But it was somewhat tongue in cheek (hence the smiley) because this rare event should not dictate your ordinary practice. Even though slipping is better.

Last edited:
I guess I just don't understand why some feel slipping is better. Not worth debating, I just don't understand it.

I don't either, if you crab and kick without slipping after the kick you will eventually be very shocked to find yourself skidding across the runway.

Back