$1000.00 Pipe Clamp!!!!

Scott@KTYR

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Scott@KTYR
Yes, $1000.00 Pipe clamp to hold the exhaust pipe to the turbo. Apparently the old spot welded clamp has to be replaced with a new riveted clamp. I am waiting on a clamp to finish my annual for my 1980 Piper Saratoga. Do not let anyone fool you; it is MONEY that makes planes fly!!!! :)

What do they say,there’s no rhyme nor reason,why some aircraft parts cost so much.

It's a marvel that a manufacturer still supports a parts inventory for a 38 year old airplane. What's that cost them? Not a business I'd want to be in, I know that.

Yes, $1000.00 Pipe clamp to hold the exhaust pipe to the turbo. Apparently the old spot welded clamp has to be replaced with a new riveted clamp. I am waiting on a clamp to finish my annual for my 1980 Piper Saratoga. Do not let anyone fool you; it is MONEY that makes planes fly!!!! :)

Buy some extras. Assuming each part is a $1k, you only need $13k more for new exhaust.

upload_2018-9-17_11-36-24.png

I would say something like, you should have bought a Cessna because we don't have to comply with Piper AD 93-05-10, but I won't.

It's a marvel that a manufacturer still supports a parts inventory for a 38 year old airplane. What's that cost them? Not a business I'd want to be in, I know that.
No problem buying ANY part for a 100 year old Model T Ford... Even some NOS still out there.

Went exp this year.
Hoping for a lot less of that bull.
You can, in theory, ignore many A/Ds. And, in this case you could fabricate your own exhaust (or fuel tank, or...), but engine parts still cost what engine parts cost.
Much better, but not a free ride.

Here is the one off my engine. $1182 each, need two, for 2 turbos.
I know the FAA put out a notice regarding vband clamp failures recently.
Coincidence?

Last edited:
At that price, the thing out to be made of titanium.

It took me less than 5 minutes to find a brand new one for under $600, from a reputable distributor. They must have ordered it straight from a Lycoming dealer who marked it up 70%.

You could get the same thing at Home Depot $4.

That isn't even remotely close to accurate.

I would say something like, you should have bought a Cessna because we don't have to comply with Piper AD 93-05-10, but I won't.

From my experience, Cessna's exhaust ADs are worse than Piper's. By a lot...

At that price, the thing out to be made of titanium.

Inconel is the standard material, although somtimes they're made out of stainless. The inconel generally performs better. Inconel is very hard to work with and expensive in general. Back at the Meatball the only material with better heat properties than inconel was unobtainium, which had the benefit of being extremely easy to work with and cheap to boot.

Too bad we could never find any unobtainium. Wonder why...

I’ve bought two of those clamps (or very similar) in the last four years for my 206 w the Lycoming. Price is ridiculous and they don’t tend to last long.
Not happy about the Cessna exhaust AD but apparently there’s a reason for it.

Any time I want to upgrade, these threads remind me I'm exactly where I need to be with my N/A Lycoming powered PA-28R. Well, that and birth control.

And buy (specifically) what?
(says the exp owner)

I doubt you'll find what you need there. If the auto parts store even has one clamp similar to what you're looking for I'd be surprised. A heavy duty truck shop might be a better place to start. That said, there are so many different band clamps that all look so close to the same that I think you're going to have a hard time finding one that will work and be safe.

tomorrow, I might corner the market on used ones from Wentworth, et al at that price.

Back