Satellite data en route

islandboy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
islandboy
Currently, the only way for me to get en route weather data is by flying directly over an island to find a cell signal that may offer an opportunity to capture a glimpse of the regional weather radar, noting that available data roaming services can be very disadvantaged.

Do any of you have any experience with satellite-based weather data during flight and can advise? I typically operate between about 11 degrees and 20 degrees north in a high-wing plane (bring it on, low-wing guys).

I assume there is no ADS-B?

How about XM?

I'm not sure if this is retrofittable to your avionics but Cirrus provides the option of Global Connect on the SR22 which includes satellite-based voice and text comm as well fairly global weather (see coverage information in the link below). It is more expensive and less fully featured than XM/ADS-B in the US so it isn't a super popular option on North American Cirri but quite popular in Europe and other OUS markets. Might be worth looking into:
https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/connext/worldwide-weather/?loggedInThisSession=false

Last edited:
No radar coverage for my area, by the looks of it.

I'm not sure if this is retrofittable to your avionics but Cirrus provides the option of Global Connect on the SR22 which includes satellite-based voice and text comm as well fairly global weather (see coverage information in the link below). It is more expensive and less fully featured than XM/ADS-B in the US so it isn't a super popular option on North American Cirri but quite popular in Europe and other OUS markets. Might be worth looking into:
https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/connext/worldwide-weather/?loggedInThisSession=false

This one looks like it moves about the most data, but it also taint cheap. The satellites have an equatorial orbit, which could work in my favor, but I don't know how well the device would see the satellites if perched atop my panel.

Taint cheap is right.

I'm guessing that the aviation package is geared to provide a lot more flight-related data than are actually generated for my area. So, a low-end satellite hotspot that can transfer weather radar data from a website might get me by.

Does XM weather provide reliable coverage in your area provided you have the avionics to slave it to?!

I can't remember the name now but I seem to remember seeing a youtube clip a month or so back with some manufacturer demonstrating a box that interfaced with your phone and allowed voice and data while in flight without using a cellular network. I think it might have been one of the GA news vlogs reporting from Oshkosh so you might want to browse through those on youtube.

Does XM weather provide reliable coverage in your area provided you have the avionics to slave it to?!

I think he already answered this but no, XM coverage ends early in the Bahamas chain. After that (further south/east) there is no XM coverage.

Back