How many hours did it take for your high performance?

korben88

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Troy
I'm just wondering how many hours of training is typical to get a high performance add on.

The flying club is buying a 182, and needs to amend the bylaws.

If you're putting it in the bylaws, I'd recommend stating the specific areas of proficiency that make one proficient in flying a (or this) high performance airplane rather than setting an arbitrary number of hours to do so.

I realize that the purpose of your question is to NOT be arbitrary, but if a number of hours is all that's required, that's often all that you'll get.

It requires exactly how many hours the CFI you are training with feels comfortable with that you understand the systems and performance requirements of the machine.

There is no recommended time,it’s when you and the CFI are comfortable with your performance.

What’s the insurance want? Our club has a 5 hour training minimum for HP and 10 for tailwheel.

Thanks for the responses. Insurance said 10 hours, but we kinda want to do something a bit more for the club.

What is everyone flying now? If a 180hp 172 then a 182 will be a short checkout. If something else, then probably a bit longer.

The FAA, the CFI, the insurance company, and the flying club all have their own requirements and opinions on these sort of subjects. And obviously so does POA. And the latter matters the least. The first two are usually the least amount of hours. The second two the most hours but will also be the determining amount.

Well....there’s getting use to moving a few levers and emergency procedures. I also did the commercial while I was doing all that. I think I was done in 10-12 hrs including the ride.

I got my HP in a flying club 182. Club's insurance required 10 hours of dual. I think we did 1-2 hours of actual instruction and the rest was just me flying the CFI around burning fuel and hours.

Our insurance required 5 hours for me to get checked out in our club 182. I already had my HP/complex sign offs but that was not in a 182.

Thanks for the responses. Insurance said 10 hours, but we kinda want to do something a bit more for the club.
Just don’t be out of line with it, or the members may think you’re trying to take advantage of them.

Your club full of retarded pilots???

Kinda joking kinda not. ******** like what you are talking about is why I don’t like clubs.

That's why I'm asking the question, we want to make it reasonable.
if you want to make it reasonable call the insurance company back and tell them 10 hours is to much. If the cfi isn’t comfortable signing someone off in 5 hours you probably don’t want them flying the airplane.

A few flights, if it was also a check out in a floatplane, also my complex endorsement and fam flight for the local spots to go, a little advanced training, in a club with hr requirements and tons of chiefs and few Indians, so much so as it pushed me to by my own plane.

Seems this is how most people get their endorsement, with a checkout in a new plane they want to rent/buy

Kinda joking kinda not. ******** like what you are talking about is why I don’t like clubs.
We have everything from students pilots to 777 captains. That's the crux, finding something that is fair and realistic for everyone.

We have everything from students pilots to 777 captains. That's the crux, finding something that is fair and realistic for everyone.
Yeah. 5 hours is plenty. Even for brand new private pilots.

Please forgive my initial reaction. I just could not believe any rational pilot wanted more than the 10 hours required by insurance

Insurance required 5 hrs dual for the Bonanza...even with hundreds of flight time in other complex aircraft. Then an additional 5 hrs solo before pax can be carried. It wasn’t a big deal because I had to ferry across the country to get home. And had all the time I needed by the time we were home.

Insurance required 5 hrs dual for the Bonanza...even with hundreds of flight time in other complex aircraft. Then an additional 5 hrs solo before pax can be carried. It wasn’t a big deal because I had to ferry across the country to get home. And had all the time I needed by the time we were home.

My Debonair transition training, high performance, complex and BFR, 5 hours (insurance requirement). I also needed 5 solo before having pax on board (insurance requirement).

Last edited:
My high performance/complex/mountain checkout was all one block of instruction. About five hours of flying time.

Ten hours seems ludicrous. That's 2/3 of the formal instruction required for an instrument rating! More than most need to get a multi-engine rating. Just to learn a blue knob and right rudder?

Didn't take much over an hour for my HP endorsement in a 182 during a Flight Review. Had several hundred hours in my 180hp Mooney, though, and was my first Cessna landing in several years.

Ten hours seems ludicrous. That's 2/3 of the formal instruction required for an instrument rating! More than most need
The 10 hours was their suggestion it's up to us to determine our requirements as a club.

Insurance required 5 hrs dual for the Bonanza...even with hundreds of flight time in other complex aircraft. Then an additional 5 hrs solo before pax can be carried.
I like this idea I think I'll float it by the board

About an hour for me, but I already had 150 hours of complex. I could see 5 hours even 10 for a brand new pilot that’s only flown a 172.

I don’t think a set number makes sense.

Last edited:
Well in the interest of contributing a data point for you. As I said earlier I did my HP in a flying club 182. I did it that way because it was my absolute only option at the time. I don't regret doing it as I did but I did not enjoy having to pay to do 8 hours worth of flying I would not have otherwise done before I was allowed to do flights I actually wanted to do. And I definitely did not enjoy having to pay a CFI to sit in the other seat doing absolutely nothing for those 8 hours.

Would have been smart to get some dual in the for the IR during that time but doing the IR wasn't really on my agenda at the time and the CFI didn't have the second i on his ticket. So just did a bunch of lunch flights with the CFI doing nothing but weighing down the right seat.

0.7 in a Cherokee 6, I already had quite a bit of time in an Arrow.

I learned to fly in a 182 and the high performance part didn’t add any time. I did learn to use right rudder on takeoff. Learning to land it probably added 5 hours. A pilot who is transitioning from a 172 and knows how to use the trim wheel could probably learn in an an hour and a half-dozen landings.

FBO where I used to rent a 70 Mooney M20C, they required 10 hours dual. That was for complex. H/P checkout in a 182 was 3 hours dual

If a set time is what you are looking for, then more than 10 hrs is excessive.

I agree that ultimately, the sign off should rest with the CFI who is doing the training when he/she feels the pilot is ready, but if a pilot is not comfortable soloing most high performance piston singles by 10 hours, there might be something wrong....

Mine was mixed in with the Cirrus transition program.

I would suggest you write the club rules something like:
1) High Performance Endorsement
2) X hours in make and model or Y hours dual

The insurance company should dictate X and Y.

Time required for the endorsement is between the pilot and the CFI.

Our local club requires 100 hrs total time and 5 hours in the 182.

5 hours works pretty well, allows enough time to do a number transitions from Climb, Cruise, Descents and traffic patterns at various airports. Allow teaching different power settings and engine management, along with emergency procedures, short and soft field procedures.

Brian

The other aspect is the joke the high performance is.

A 182 is really not high performance, it’s basicslly a slightly larger 172
However the FAA says it’s high performance

A glasair with 180hp and short wings is a high performance plane
However the FAA says it’s not high performance.

I think high performance should have to do with wing loading, stall speed, power to weight, that type of thing.

FBO where I used to rent a 70 Mooney M20C, they required 10 hours dual. That was for complex. H/P checkout in a 182 was 3 hours dual

A lot of FBOs require 10 hours for complex checkout due to insurance requirements. That seems to be pretty normal. For high performance I can't see any more than about 3 hours. Going from a 172 to a 182 was nothing. Other than now you had a prop control too.

Back