Netflix - The Horn

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
About a helicopter rescue company at the base of the Matterhorn. A lot of the scenes could be in our "daily pic" thread.

It doesn't suck

Saw one episode about a month ago. Does look like a good series.

That is some scary **** man. Can’t imagine being stuck in a crevasse and getting someone out

Liked the horn,also watching ice pilots.

I'll put that n my feed, thanks. Went gaga over Worst Place to be a Pilot on youtube. Don't watch it, you'll want to give it all up and go there.

I wonder if those guys are prior military or just paid for civilian training. Seems like most the medivac guys in the states flew military prior. That would be a heck of a job. I’m sure it’s not easy to get into though.

I wonder if those guys are prior military or just paid for civilian training. Seems like most the medivac guys in the states flew military prior. That would be a heck of a job. I’m sure it’s not easy to get into though.

The episode I watched, the owner didn’t have any military pilot background. Started as a mech and worked his way to pilot.

MEDEVAC in the States is mostly prior vets but the vast majority is just air ambulance and no SAR mission. If I were to do what they’re doing in that series, I’d be fired.

The episode I watched, the owner didn’t have any military pilot background. Started as a mech and worked his way to pilot.

MEDEVAC in the States is mostly prior vets but the vast majority is just air ambulance and no SAR mission. If I were to do what they’re doing in that series, I’d be fired.

I think it would be cool to fly helis, but it just isn’t economically viable for a civilian to pay for the training and experience needed.

Those guys are incredible pilots.

Why would you be fired?

Last edited:

Send them an application then!

I think it would be cool to fly helis, but it just isn’t economically viable for a civilian to pay for the training and experience needed.

Why would you be fired?

Because our company (most) doesn’t have a SAR role. It’s strictly patient transport from a helipad or a scene site where EMS has setup an LZ. There are private companies that include a SAR mission but they are specially trained and equipped as such. They are supplemented with local govt (police/forestry service) and military (Army / AF NG) units.

Last edited:
Because our company (most) doesn’t have a SAR role. It’s strictly patient transport from a helipad or a scene site where EMS has setup an LZ. There are private companies that include a SAR mission but they are specially trained and equipped as such. They are supplemented with local govt (police/forestry service) and military (Army NG) units.

Gotcha. Just think, you could move over there and join the show with a cool name like "Velocity".

Send them an application then!

Oh I wouldn’t mind going over there to fly. Of course I’d have to learn German. Flown all over Germany but never in Switzerland. Southern Germany (Bayern) is beautiful.

I'm sold. It's next on my Netflix list after I finish Dirilis:Ertugrul.

I saw an anomaly in the first episode that makes me question the veracity of the series.
Just before the chopper gets back to pick up the "friends", you get an aerial shot of the target crevasse, and to the right you can see another crevasse, with what looks like an ice cave entrance to the target crevasse and someone down there. It goes by quickly, and it's not very clear, but I'm a paranoid old coot so it got me wondering.
Other than that, I thought it was well done.

Why add the “just paid for” to civilian training?

You don’t think it’s not paid for if it .mil?

Why add the “just paid for” to civilian training?

You don’t think it’s not paid for if it .mil?

I think what he’s getting at is personal out of pocket expense. Taxes paid for roughly 1 million dollars and 177 hrs of my flight school training. If I went and got 300 hrs of R22 training and a comm, that’s $80 grand out of pocket.

Last edited:
I think what he’s getting at is personal out of pocket expense. Taxes paid for roughly 1 million dollars and 177 hrs of my flight school training. If I went and got 300 hrs of R22 training and a comm, that’s $80 grand out of pocket.

Still both are paid for.

Still both are paid for.

Correct, the difference is, one path will get you a turbine helo job quite easily but the other takes years of bad pay and networking to get. Choose wisely.

Correct, the difference is, one path will get you a turbine helo job quite easily but the other takes years of bad pay and networking to get. Choose wisely.

Aviation ain’t easy and networking is always needed in any industry.

Aviation ain’t easy and networking is always needed in any industry.

I didn’t need it. 4,000 hrs TT with 1,000 hrs NVG for a job that only requires 2,000 hrs and 100 NVG. I was a shoe in.

Networking is required for jobs that are competitive and you barely meet the mins. Going thru 20 years of flying in the military flying advanced aircraft in extremely challenging conditions, will easily make one qualified without any networking. Going the civilian route will require years of work with bad pay, trying to get the coveted helo turbine time and networking to get a foot in the door. Then again, experience kinda goes out the window when the applicant is a cute female right out of high school with a whopping 1 year of flying experience. :eek:

Another Netflix rec. Just watched Fair Game this morning....very good! About CIA agent Valerie Plame getting ratted out as retribution by the white house because her husband was vocal about there not being any WMD.

I saw an anomaly in the first episode that makes me question the veracity of the series.
Just before the chopper gets back to pick up the "friends", you get an aerial shot of the target crevasse, and to the right you can see another crevasse, with what looks like an ice cave entrance to the target crevasse and someone down there. It goes by quickly, and it's not very clear, but I'm a paranoid old coot so it got me wondering.
Other than that, I thought it was well done.
I really like this show, but it has the same flaw a lot of these shows have. They know most of their audience won't pay attention to the details. It's a lot cheaper to just use any shot they have on file than it is to send up a specific helicopter. For example, one of the pilots has a feeling that something is wrong with the helicopter, so the land. Every time they go to a different view of the helicopter, it's a different helicopter! If you pay attention in a lot of the shots, they will change them out a lot. Still, I'm enjoying the show!

Back