Display name:
Dave Taylor
...or not?

2db7xgi.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-18_19-26-39.png
    upload_2016-7-18_19-26-39.png
    654.3 KB · Views: 549
"Low visibility isn't the worst problem a pilot faces- the inboard(sic) HGS system can land the plane with zero visibility if it knows the runway GPS. The HGS converts signals from an airport's Instrument Landing System into a virtual image of the runway displayed on the monitor."

So what is the worst problem a pilot faces?
in this book, it is 'he didn't get the girl'. So he pulled a GermanWings. :(
[I finished it (and am still in pain).]

That's so awful, it reminds me of the Bulwer-Lytton annual contest, which is a contest to see who can write the absolute worst opening sentence of a novel. (Fortunately, the entrants only have to write the first sentence of the novel, not the whole thing!)

http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/

Check it out, some of them are hilarious in their awfulness.

The winner from last year:
Seeing how the victim's body, or what remained of it, was wedged between the grill of the Peterbilt 389 and the bumper of the 2008 Cadillac Escalade EXT, officer "Dirk" Dirksen wondered why reporters always used the phrase "sandwiched" to describe such a scene since there was nothing appetizing about it, but still, he thought, they might have a point because some of this would probably end up on the front of his shirt. —
  • Joel Phillips, West Trenton, NJ

Heck, my Skyhawk could go faster than "Mach .083" with the barn doors out.

sorry Greg. Over 2 years ago. maybe if I'd read it last week....but not that long ago.

At least it wasn't a Russian novel. If you weren't depressed when you started it, you would be when you finished. And the prose in this book would make you want to kill yourself as a mercy killing!

At least it wasn't a Russian novel. If you weren't depressed when you started it, you would be when you finished.
Reading Anna Karenina now. I’m not depressed yet, but I’m quite certain I will be by the end. But it is still time better spent than reading bad aviation fiction.

I've read Anna Karenina and Dr. Zvhago (sp) and I survived. I had thoughts of reading War and Peace but by the time I finished the 2nd novel, I felt I'd danced with death enough. I've accumulated a lot of books, and I'm slowly working my way through them. I read a sci-fi book between non-fiction as a reward.

I have one Honor Harrington Universe novel to finish before I stop reading that series. My current favorite sci-fi series is Star Carrier; I'm ready for book 4. In the meantime, I finished A Splendid Exchange: How Trade Shaped the World, and I'm currently reading The Birth of Plenty.

He tells us in the introductory part of the book what he's going to tell us, and I thought the rest of the book would be redundant. What I learned in the first part of the book is that per capita GDP didn't start growing until about 1820, and explains the four requirements for continued economic growth. And, part way into the book, he adds a fifth factor.

I only read a few minutes a day, so I expect it'll take me months to finish. It took me over a year to finish the definitive biography of Albert Einstein. There was way more to him, and his life, than Special Relativity, General Relativity, and e=mc^2.

I'm still trying to figure out what an "in-sign" in the Navy is, and how he'd get his hands on a "T-6 biplane". Audible narration on this book leaves a bit to be desired. But, good story otherwise.

51LPio6ca7L._SL500_.jpg

Back