FAA stops a sale

What is the benefit of he paperwork?
I don't know what he was looking for, but if it is the paperwork for the IO-360 then that paperwork is worth 3x to 4x what the plane is worth. Today, to install a different type engine in a TC'd aircraft takes big bucks and usually exceeds the value of the aircraft. I imagine a 170 with a 360 in it would be rather sporty and unique.

Would Tom have to own the plane to have access to the paperwork?
To look at it? No. To use the data, maybe to yes. Depends on the type of paperwork.

Couldn't he just somehow prove precedence so that he could duplicate it in another plane?
It depends on what type of paperwork it is. Back in the day, the feds would allow "duplicate" field approvals, but only now do so in rare occasions. However, at this level of alteration it's a different ballgame today.

Tom: Unless you are a real glutton for punishment, I'd let this one go past. A dry chemical extinguisher was used, and everything that power touches is now ruined. Had someone torn the aircraft down and properly cleaned it within a day or two, some of it would have been salvageable. The fuselage is pretty much junk, as most of the belly skins and the bulkheads behind the seats have been overheated and would need to be replaced. It's essentially an engine and a pair of wings and a tail.

Yeah, but..

but...

really...

all that stuff that's been overheated and weakened and/or semi melted wouldn't prevent a sane person from:

make it ready to ferry and fly it out.

:rolleyes:...:rolleyes:...:rolleyes:...:rolleyes:

:confused:...:confused:...:confused:...:confused:

Yeah, but..

but...

really...

all that stuff that's been overheated and weakened and/or semi melted wouldn't prevent a sane person from:

:rolleyes:...:rolleyes:...:rolleyes:...:rolleyes:

:confused:...:confused:...:confused:...:confused:
Somehow you just misunderstood him. He’ll be here shortly to explain he meant the opposite.

Tom: Unless you are a real glutton for punishment, I'd let this one go past. A dry chemical extinguisher was used, and everything that power touches is now ruined. Had someone torn the aircraft down and properly cleaned it within a day or two, some of it would have been salvageable. The fuselage is pretty much junk, as most of the belly skins and the bulkheads behind the seats have been overheated and would need to be replaced. It's essentially an engine and a pair of wings and a tail.
I called Spokane FSDO and talked to the inspector who is holding this aircraft as evidence for a criminal investigation, he wasn't at liberty to discuss it any farther than that.

I called Spokane FSDO and talked to the inspector who is holding this aircraft as evidence for a criminal investigation, he wasn't at liberty to discuss it any farther than that.

Possible arson? Makes you wonder.

Tom, unrelated, but what ever happened to that canard plane you brought back from Canada?
Removed the engine, sold it, then sold the airframe to a Canadian, who supplied a 0-200 core and paid me to overhaul it. It's running fine again in Canada.

I don't believe that.
besides I have a beautiful fuselage.. :) if you are right.
You approach these restorations as a total restoration-mod and upgrade.

Besides, this engine is on with a field approval. do you know what that means?

Last edited:
Another innocent/ignorant question:
Would Tom have to own the plane to have access to the paperwork? Couldn't he just somehow prove precedence so that he could duplicate it in another plane?

It's easier if you own it, and all the records that pertain to it. Other wise it is intellectual property of another.

Possible arson? Makes you wonder.
I'm guessing ..... they were running drugs and tried to destroy the evidence, yer mind can run wild on some thing like this.

I don't know what he was looking for, but if it is the paperwork for the IO-360 then that paperwork is worth 3x to 4x what the plane is worth.
There ya have it, but that is one hell of a stump jumper, just the same. Cleaned up with proper repairs, looking sharp. $70-90 k.

OBTW that's a 210 HP engine, I flew it years ago, holding 70MPH on departure you can't see the horizon over the nose. you must look out the side window to see the horizon.
But it likes fuel about 14-16 GPH, puts short legs on a 170-B

I'm guessing ..... they were running drugs and tried to destroy the evidence, yer mind can run wild on some thing like this.

Maybe. Even without the drugs, could have been an insurance job, payback, or divorce. Lots of motives that involve fire. Or maybe someone was criminally negligent doing some kind of repair that caused the fire. Who knows?

Did a little Googling on the tail number, former owners and such. Couldn't find anything.

Somehow you just misunderstood him. He’ll be here shortly to explain he meant the opposite.
Hate much?? trying to do what? gets old

Maybe. Even without the drugs, could have been an insurance job, payback, or divorce. Lots of motives that involve fire. Or maybe someone was criminally negligent doing some kind of repair that caused the fire. Who knows?

Did a little Googling on the tail number, former owners and such. Couldn't find anything.
Yep, BTDT. 2

Throw this in the mix,, remote little airport just across the boarder from BC "weed capital of the NW"

Maybe a little fuel leak, and a test of the load. ? Who knows.

Yes Tom, I know about Field Approvals and the requirements and processes they entail.

As for cleaning things up, depending on which agent was in the extinguisher, there are three different processes. All of the agents used are considered to be corrosive when left in place for any length of time. All require neutralization as part of the clean up.

One powder in use requires an isopropyl alcohol wash at a certain concentration, the second type requires an acidic wash with a certain concentration, and the third version requires a baking soda paste scrub with a soap and water wash. The longer the agent sits on something, the worse the corrosion gets.

Yes Tom, I know about Field Approvals and the requirements and processes they entail.

As for cleaning things up, depending on which agent was in the extinguisher, there are three different processes. All of the agents used are considered to be corrosive when left in place for any length of time. All require neutralization as part of the clean up.

One powder in use requires an isopropyl alcohol wash at a certain concentration, the second type requires an acidic wash with a certain concentration, and the third version requires a baking soda paste scrub with a soap and water wash. The longer the agent sits on something, the worse the corrosion gets.

Thanks Craig, I learned something.

The person who has custody of the evidence was told to clean up the aircraft by the FAA representative. And did so.
You can check with him, has number is on the link.

Did you realize that old 337 applying that engineering to that aircraft is approved data, it can be used over and over on all aircraft of the same make and model.

The person who has custody of the evidence was told to clean up the aircraft by the FAA representative. And did so.
You can check with him, has number is on the link.

Did you realize that old 337 applying that engineering to that aircraft is approved data, it can be used over and over on all aircraft of the same make and model.
$10 to the FAA for the CD should get you a copy of that.

Back