My Redneck Noise Canceling Headset

MBDiagMan

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
i am fortunate to have enough money to be able to fly, but it is not an unlimited budget. I have yet to come up with $1,000 each or thereabouts for a noise canceling headset. I have two DC 13.4’s that have served me well. Got both of them off eBay for a good price.

Last week I ordered the noise canceling kit from Active Headsets and installed it yesterday. I sprung for the improved cable and gel seals. I had several hours and $160 invested in the job and used the set last night for some pattern work. I am very pleased with the results. It’s not a Bose, but it cost much less.

That sounds cool. Show us some pics!! Careful that “Big ANR” doesn’t sugar your gas tank...

I've modified two DC 13.4 headsets with the Active Headsets noise cancelling kits for myself, and two more for friends who have flown with me and were impressed with the performance of mine. I've installed two of the PM-012 power modules in my airplane so I don't have to worry about the 9 volt batteries going belly-up.

Great value.

I'm curious how the ANC performance compares to the digital ones. I think the Headsets Inc (HI) modules operate on an analog cancellation principal rather than digital. If so, they may be better at cancelling random noise vs engine noise. I have a DC H10-40 modified with a HI unit perhaps 20 years go. It still seems very effective. I power it from the same power supply as my intercom even though HI says that won't work.

FYI... Flying magazine did an article not too long ago and that conversion results in an ANR as effective as a BOSE. I converted two of my DCs and have no complaints...

Stan, do tell about the power modules.
They're on the website under "Accessories"...
http://www.headsetsinc.com/Accessories.html

PM-012%2012v%20source%20power%20supply_zpssdofu3h6.jpg

Not redneck, it’s the poor man’s ANR headset.

:D

I'm waiting for the ANC gurus to come up with noise cancellation for motorcycle helmets. It would be a vast market if anyone could crack the technical problems.

I bought a headset from Headsets, Inc in 2004. And still using them. They have been from -40 to 116F. Whenever I think I need a new headset, I see the price and realize mine are still working fine.

Thanks Stan! I should have looked at the catalog more closely. I think I will add those in the front and leave my occasional rear seat passengers to a standard headset or battery pack.

I have flown a little bit with my redneck headset since my original post and I am getting spoiled. It really works well.

I'm waiting for the ANC gurus to come up with noise cancellation for motorcycle helmets. It would be a vast market if anyone could crack the technical problems.

Google is your friend.

I had them do mine while at Oshkosh a few years back and it has been great.

Back