Nostalgia in Air Terminal Design/Construction

Wow. I usually love old architecture, but those...don't do anything for me.

Reminds me of...dunno whatchacallem...where you queue up to board a roller coaster. Or an old seafood restaurant on a neglected wharf.

I'm hoping the plans unveiled last year for Harvey Young (1H6) to be renamed Douglas Memorial Airfield and put in $10M of improvements will come through. Here's a rendering of the art deco style terminal they want to build:

5fe9131f52f8a2ecef6e503443118c09.png

Last edited:
The old Russian terminals are just that.... 80 year old wooden structures not well maintained. Decrepit is decrepit no mater how quaint the old design was. Not a big fan of early Soviet architecture.

Absolutely like retro design though. Wish it was done more here. I'm a sucker for nostalgia I guess.

I'm hoping the plans unveiled last year for Harvey Young (1H6) to be renamed Douglas Memorial Airfield and put in $10M of improvements will come through. Here's a rendering of the art deco style terminal they want to build:
Love it. And they should require all carriers using it to operate only DC-3s. And none of those turbine conversions, either.

Massachusetts is funding a terminal rebuilding program. Doing away with the old wooden structures.

The old terminal at DCA is really cool. It's kind of under-utilized right now.

The old Grand Central Air Terminal in Glendale CA still stands, though without an airport.
That's where I learned to fly 1954-55. I spent time in that tower visiting with the controller.

Those were the days, huh? :) Heckuva place for airline ops, though -- 3800' runway in a narrow gap between high, rough terrain.

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 2.05.37 PM.png

Back