AZ CFIs - New Stanfield Stack Procedures

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
Found this interesting...saw it over on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comments/9flbql/az_cfis_new_stanfield_stack_procedures_effective/

For those of you who are unaware, the FAA just pushed out some drastic changes to instrument approaches at KCGZ and procedures in the stack will now be changing.

KCGZ ILS 5
  • This approach now has a new altitude for the course reversal at 3700
KCGZ GPS 5
  • This approach is now an LPV, and has a new altitude for the course reversal at 3800
KCGZ VOR 5
  • Unchanged
KCGZ GPS 23
  • This is a new approach that is not authorized to be flown by any AeroGuard, CAE, WestWind, ATP, UND, or ERAU aircraft (enforced by the flight schools themselves, not the FAA). With the high volume of approaches to runway 5, practicing the GPS 23 approach is extremely dangerous. Please do not attempt this approach if there are any aircraft doing approaches to runway 5.
Stack Procedures
  • The bottom of the stack is now 3500 for the VOR, 3700 for the ILS, and 3800 for the GPS. To maintain 500 foot separation, only one aircraft may be at any of these altitudes at any time. The next valid altitude above this to wait your turn for the approach is 4500. 4000 IS NO LONGER A VALID HOLDING ALTITUDE.
While everyone adapts to these changes, the area around TFD will be more dangerous than usual for the next few weeks or months. Please be vigilant on the radios and be extra careful out there, guys.

You can find the official document from the Arizona Flight Training Workgroup here: http://aftw.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Stanfield-VOR-proceduresR3.pdf

This is why I avoid CGZ if I can. I've been cut off, ignored, made to fly a bomber pattern and upon landing on 23 looked up to see a high wing on final to 5.

This is why I avoid CGZ if I can. I've been cut off, ignored, made to fly a bomber pattern and upon landing on 23 looked up to see a high wing on final to 5.

Man I guess I am just an oddball or I flew at the right times. I did a TON of training out there and still do just stay proficient/current. Honestly never had any issues...but yea I can totally understand how nuts it can be out there

Last edited:
Better yet why the hell don't they add some approaches to OTHER airports. Gila Bend, Coolidge, etc...

Last edited:
That stack @CGZ is a dangerous mess, especially since it requires insider knowledge. Given the amount of training down there they should dedicate an ATC poistion to it.

gacoon, you are 100% right. But the FAA has absolutely no interest in fixing it until a fatality happens.

They even got skydiving going on at Casa Grande now LOL

The GPS 23 was a lot of fun to fly. But I agree the stack is a mess.

Back