Another T-38 Crash, Fourth In The Last Year

mscard88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
T-38 Crashes at Sheppard, Pilots Ejected Safely
Two pilots safely ejected after a T-38 crashed Tuesday morning at Sheppard AFB, Texas. The mishap is the fourth crash involving a T-38 in the last year. The jet, assigned to the 80th Flying Training Wing at Sheppard, crashed upon takeoff at about 10:13 a.m. local time, according to a Sheppard release. A German Air Force pilot was treated for "minor injuries" at the Sheppard Clinic, while a USAF pilot on temporary duty assignment from Vance AFB, Okla., was taken to United Regional Medical Center in Wichita Falls "as a precaution, and is reported to be in stable condition," according to a base Twitter post. "We are grateful both aircrew members are safe, and for the outstanding response for our fire, security, and medical personnel," said Col. Lendy Renegar, 80th FTW vice commander in the Twitter post. The 80th FTW trains combat pilots from 14 nations as part of the Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training program. Flying operations at the base were paused on Tuesday, and the crash will be investigated, according to the base. The Air Force’s Talon fleet has been plagued by multiple crashes recently, prompting multiple groundings of the training jet. A T-38 crashed on Aug. 17 near Vance AFB, Okla., and another in May near Columbus AFB, Miss. In both those mishaps, the pilots were able to safely eject. However, one pilot was killed and another injured in November 2017 when a T-38 crashed near Laughlin AFB, Texas. —Brian Everstine

I wouldn't mind safely ejecting from one.

I wouldn't mind safely ejecting from one.

It's not as fun as you may think. I knew an Air Force pilot who ejected twice, had serious back problems. I saw his second ejection in an F4 in Germany. Military pilots will be along shortly to expand on this though, as I have no experience and wasn't a military pilot. Did go thru F4 ejection seat training once though, but didn't get the ride.

I've read about the back problems it can cause.

I'm just messing with you. I could never pull the handle. I can't even go on roller coasters.

I've read about the back problems it can cause.

I'm just messing with you. I could never pull the handle. I can't even go on roller coasters.

Not even Space Mountain at Disney World? ;)

And Martin Baker keeps saving lives. 100% batting average on pulls in the 38 and 6. Bar none my favorite part of my work airplane. I flew it as a student when it had the old seat, talk about not knowing what one does not know...

As to the 4 in 12, yup; I told you guys to get accustomed to these stories.....

“Two pilots safely ejected after a T-38 crashed Tuesday morning at Sheppard AFB, Texas.”

Aren’t you supposed to eject before the crash?

Supposed to, but one can ride it out too. Not advisable of course. :D

A high school buddy ejected from a British plane about 32-34 years ago. He has had neck and shoulder problems ever since. That eventually led to his early retirement from the AF.

A high school buddy ejected from a British plane about 32-34 years ago. He has had neck and shoulder problems ever since. That eventually led to his early retirement from the AF.
And to be fair, you don't need to eject out of an Air Force plane to have neck and back problems. Just ask most F-16 drivers. The Advent of the JHMCS has certainly not helped in that front. Even in tactrainers, we Face significant injury probability based on the generally erratic input Behavior of the student flying

Yeah but at least he can draw disability and then get a FAA medical and fly for the airlines.

:cool:

Yeah but at least he can draw disability and then get a FAA medical and fly for the airlines.

:cool:

From what my other friends have told me he doesn't fly anything. Apparently he has done well with his insurance business.

Glad they had a successful ejection,hope they fully recover

And to be fair, you don't need to eject out of an Air Force plane to have neck and back problems. Just ask most F-16 drivers.

Or IFF IPs, thanks to direct supporting 6K and 3K offensive BFM sorties.

That's what hurt mine.

We were over Wichita Falls today on a photo mission. I swung the camera toward the field and it looks like the plane survived relatively intact - does look like the story that they ejected on the ground after departing the runway with a flat tire is correct.

RED_4792.JPG

Back