Tailwheel tips?

Just got my tailwheel endorsement last week with Stick & Rudder Aviation in Idaho, here was the pre-reading material he sent me:

http://www.stick-rudder.com/PDF-Files/The-Taildragger.pdf

http://www.stick-rudder.com/PDF-Files/FAQ-tailwheel-training-rich-stowell.pdf

I also found it easier to just roll onto the runway and to a rolling takeoff (similar to soft field) rather than stop and fight the plane to line up the tailwheel. Much easier to roll and straighten up with some momentum. Obviously not an option if requested to lineup and wait.

Not as bad as you'd think. I have about 50 hours in a Bolen 172TW (above) and 50 in a texas taildragger swept tail 172. It's certainly harder than a citabria (but what isn't?) but I wouldn't consider it any more difficult than a 170 or 180. Just have to be very "positive" on the controls and there isn't really such a thing as over-controlling.

I'm glad I did my primary in a Skyhawk. It was the equivalent of taking driver's ed in a minivan versus a Miata!
If you promise not to get too full of yourself, have a look what a fellow student at my school was doing in a Skyhawk.

If you promise not to get too full of yourself, have a look what a fellow student at my school was doing in a Skyhawk.

Float halfway down the runway, tap one wheel and then decide to go around? Looks like the initial landing approach from my first two solo CC’s. I see nothing done wrong there!

Just got my tailwheel endorsement last week with Stick & Rudder Aviation in Idaho, here was the pre-reading material he sent me:

I also found it easier to just roll onto the runway and to a rolling takeoff (similar to soft field) rather than stop and fight the plane to line up the tailwheel. Much easier to roll and straighten up with some momentum. Obviously not an option if requested to lineup and wait.

Try that in a locking tailwheel airplane...

Truth!

I've heard swept tails are TOUGH when converted to tail stagger config.
Probably a reference to early 182s vs later models. The straight tails had a trimming stabilizer but Cessna changed that to a trim tab and a tail that had a reputation of not being big enough to keep the nose up when landing as a tricycle. Converted Cessnas aren’t as good in taildragger configuration as the planes that were designed as taildraggers.

Try that in a locking tailwheel airplane...

Truth!

The tailwheel is locking on the kitfox, it does however break free if you turn sharp enough. I never broke it free unless I was doing a sharp 180.

The tailwheel is locking on the kitfox, it does however break free if you turn sharp enough. I never broke it free unless I was doing a sharp 180.
What you're referring to is a "steerable tailwheel". This moves from being steerable for about 30 degrees of travel per side, to free castering when you exceed this angle. Most taildraggers from a Cessna 185 and heavier have a locking tailwheel that immobilizes it in the straight direction. It is not steerable or able to be "broken free". It is used to prevent significant motion on takeoff and landing, as well as in taxi under heavy crosswind conditions.

What you're referring to is a "steerable tailwheel". This moves from being steerable for about 30 degrees of travel per side, to free castering. Most taildraggers from a Cessna 185 and heavier have a locking tailwheel that immobilizes it in the straight direction. It is not steerable or able to be "broken free". It is used to prevent significant motion on takeoff and landing, as well as in taxi under heavy crosswind conditions.

My 180 came with a locking tailwheel. The lock was removed 20 years ago and found it's way into the trash bin last time I cleaned out my shed. I've never missed it.

I'm not talking about a steerable tailwheel, but a free castering non-steerable where steering is done via brakes and/or power & rudder. A pre-takeoff item is tailwheel locked, which requires it being straight. Navy Stearmans had locking t/w. All T-6/SNJs, Thrush/Air Tractor/Ag Cat ag planes, Beech 18 all have full swivel locking tailwheels. If you forget to lock it, you'll know soon enough.

My 180 came with a locking tailwheel. The lock was removed 20 years ago and found it's way into the trash bin last time I cleaned out my shed. I've never missed it.
IIRC it was an option on 180's. 90% of them don't have it including mine. @Stickman also agrees that locking tailwheels on 180/185s aren't necessary. I'm curious though @Stewartb why did you decide to remove yours? just unnecessary weight and you never used it or is there another reason?

I've got a buddy with a 185 with an baby bushwheel tailwheel that really like his because it prevents shimmy on pavement.

Last edited:
I had a 14" XP tailwheel for many years and switched it to the wide fork BBW about 5-6 years ago. The Baby is a pussycat compared to the more upright 14" assembly. I never needed a lock with either, but the XP liked to get greased when it started to hint at a shimmy. I add a Burls's Magnum tail ski to my wide fork and BBW and still no shimmy problems. My opinion about it is most guys with Skywagons that shimmy need better tailwheel maintenance and slower landing speeds. Or they should learn to hold the tail up until they can't hold it up any more.

Thanks for posting that, I'm in the middle of tailwheel training and those are a good summary of some things I've gone through with my instructor.

IIRC it was an option on 180's. 90% of them don't have it including mine. @Stickman also agrees that locking tailwheels on 180/185s aren't necessary. I'm curious though @Stewartb why did you decide to remove yours? just unnecessary weight and you never used it or is there another reason?

That locking tailwheel was made by McCauley and they are very rare and expensive now. A couple of years ago a new one was $13K. Parts are similarly steep.

Back