Garmin 796 External GPS Source GDL 52

George Chityat

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
george99
So surprisingly to me, the GDL 52 does NOT supply a GPS source to the 796. It DOES supply XM and ADS-B. This is straight out of Garmin's website.

What I was hoping to do was to leave my GDL-52 on the floor and out of the sun, and use an external GPS antenna (GA25) for the GPS signal. ADS-B doesn't need to see the sky. I am not currently using XM, but there is an external antenna for that too.

Connected via bluetooth to the GDL52 would be the 796 and an iPad with Garmin Pilot.
But the problem is that I was hoping for the 796 to also have the benefit of the external antenna. I could get a second external antenna, for the 796, but all the wires would start looking like spaghetti.

The 796 is yoke mounted. It gets a good signal, but I always think that these devices get a better signal with an external antenna sitting on top of the panel.

Am I over thinking this?
Is Garmin's website correct that the 796 does not get a GPS signal from the GDL 52?

When I added my Aera in the panel of my 180 I bought the antenna adapter and attached my external GPS antenna to it. At the same time a friend installed the same Aera in his 180 in the same location and didn’t use an external antenna. There was no difference in performance between our GPS units.

I’m curious why you didn’t get the 52R if you want it hidden away?

With the 52 and Garmin Pilot you have a good cross check for your 796. Why not just watch it for a while and see if you think the 796 needs a better antenna?

FWIW, my G3X requires a GA26C and a GA35 to run nav and ADS-B. Dual antennae isn’t uncommon.

Last edited:
The GDL50 and 52 are GPS receivers, too. So were the now discontinued GDL39s. You can bluetooth a non-cellular iPad to a GDL and get full GPS function, which I believe is why the OP is disappointed the GDL won't talk to his 796.

I have a GDL39-3D and a 39R. No bluetooth from the 39R. I wish the 50R had been released a few months earlier!

The GDL50 and 52 are GPS receivers, too. So were the now discontinued GDL39s. You can bluetooth a non-cellular iPad to a GDL and get full GPS function, which I believe is why the OP is disappointed the GDL won't talk to his 796.

I have a GDL39-3D and a 39R. No bluetooth from the 39R. I wish the 50R had been released a few months earlier!

Thanks for the correction! I can understand why Garmin would see no need to share the GPS data from the GDL to a 796, since it is already a GPS receiver.

The GDL-52 is an ADS-B receiver, which has nothing to do with GPS. The 796 is a GPS receiver and has nothing to do with ADS-B in - but can display the in data that is supplied from another source.

I had a 496, which is one of the predecessors of the 796. It worked best with the external antenna but was okay without it. I agree with StewartB that you probably don't need an external antenna. The newer hardware seems to do a better job with signal reception.

Not true. The GDL 52 is also a GPS receiver. It does GPS, ADS-B, and XM.

When I added my Aera in the panel of my 180 I bought the antenna adapter and attached my external GPS antenna to it. At the same time a friend installed the same Aera in his 180 in the same location and didn’t use an external antenna. There was no difference in performance between our GPS units.

I’m curious why you didn’t get the 52R if you want it hidden away?

With the 52 and Garmin Pilot you have a good cross check for your 796. Why not just watch it for a while and see if you think the 796 needs a better antenna?

FWIW, my G3X requires a GA26C and a GA35 to run nav and ADS-B. Dual antennae isn’t uncommon.

Well, I didn't get the R, because at the time I bought it, I didn't plan on getting an airplane of my own. But things have changed. But regardless, I just thought it would be better to use an external antenna. But from what you guys wrote here, the 796 does a good job on it's own, which I am also seeing in my house right now. It isn't near a window, and it has an excellent GPS signal. So most likely, I won't need an external antenna for the GPS.

So basically, it will be iPad/GP uses the GDL 52 for GPS and ADS-B, and the 796, just for ADS-B.
BTW, I have the iPad with the cellular/GPS built in, but the GDL 52 GPS is far superior. It has WAAS, and by using it, it isn't using the iPad GPS, and from what I have seen, saves battery in the iPad and less heat since the iPads have the overheating issue.

I'm pretty sure the 52r is not for certified planes.

Why not? I'm thinking about moving my 39-3D into my exp Cub and installing a 50R in my Cessna. My Cub has a 39R but that one doesn't bluetooth to my phone. The G3X does, but I figure the 39-3D would make a good backup unit in the event the G3X goes TU.

From garmin
built-inGPS-b891c7bf-7f98-4a23-b4da-95ac6d149f59.jpg

Link up with the Benefits of ADS-B
For pilots who want subscription-free U.S. datalink weather and traffic, the remote GDL 50R receiver is one of the simplest and smartest ways to interface ADS-B weather and traffic with your G3X Touch avionics and more. And by going with Garmin, your receiver will be backed by a comprehensive 1-year warranty — and by the industry’s No. 1-ranked product support team.

GDL 50R is a noncertified receive-only product. It does not provide ADS-B “Out” capability to satisfy FAA mandate requirements

I think they mean it's not certified in terms of ADS-B position reporting equipment. They wouldn't sell (m)any if it was only targeting the exp market.

My avionics installer wouldn't install one for me. They are un billings mt

The GDL50R is an ADS-B in and ADHRS source for devices running Garmin Pilot and an ADS-B in source for G3X. It offers the function of a GDL39-3D had in a remote form. The GDL39R was the older support box to provide ADS-B in for G3X systems. It doesn’t support bluetooth for GP users. Garmin did a good thing by replacing the 39R with a bluetooth compatible unit.

An avionics shop may be reluctant to “install” unapproved equipment. I’d find a different shop if they can’t figure a way around that. ADS-B “in” is not required and isn’t scheduled to be required, so “in” equipment doesn’t need to be approved.

Remember, ADS-B “in” services aren’t complete unless you’re an ADS-B “out” client.

Last edited:
Back