You people in NC

Rushie

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Rushie
If you were there in '96, you know what I'm saying.

Fran wasn't fun . . . Neither was Dennis a few years later, which hit twice and saturated the ground to intensify flooding from Floyd just a few days later . . . . . .

I lost two trees to Fran, and took down two more afterwards to minimize future damage.

We're only getting 30 mph winds (forecast) here at NC26 but probably 6" or so rain over two days.

I was at the outer banks in '96. I left a day after the mandatory evacuation for I believe it was called Bertha. The roads were pretty clear.

I was at the outer banks in '96. I left a day after the mandatory evacuation for I believe it was called Bertha. The roads were pretty clear.

Bertha was a little one in July, almost cost me my fly fishing vacation to Yellowstone (had to drive to Raleigh to catch second airline leg), as allflights out of Fayetteville were cancelled. Fran came at Labor Day, and cost me much more . . . . .

Glad I sold my condo on Seabrook Island near Charleston a few years ago.

Cheers

I got in from Rome to DC at 3pm yesterday and drove straight down to our place on Hatteras last night to prep today. We've done the best we can do, and take solace in knowing the insurance is paid up.

Track has shifted this morning almost into S.C. still comes ashore barely in NC, but then goes straight west or even a little south.

I have noticed that hurricane tracks tend to move on a trend. When we started watching this storm, the landfall points started shifting northward - Myrtle Beach, state line, Southport, Oak Island...trending north. Then it stuck for a few days and started south again. At this point, SC appears to be in more trouble.

http://spaghettimodels.com/

Marines (MV-22, UH-1, CH-53, C-130) were in CHA yesterday. Looks like everyone is pushing west.

Last edited:
Glad I sold my condo on Seabrook Island near Charleston a few years ago.

Cheers
My girlfriend and I were on Seabrook Island last year right after Irma hit (which technically didn't even his SC)...not fun.

Looks like it'll head south now. I've got a kid in Suffolk, a kid in Greensboro, family in Raleigh and a brother in western SC. Maybe they'll all avoid the worst of it. Fran traumatized me. For a while there it looked like it was going to be a repeat.

All I know is I needed to fill my truck up today and it took 5 gas stations before i found one that had gas. Oh, and schools are closed tomorrow, supposed to be 87 and partly cloudy......

If you were there in '96, you know what I'm saying.

I moved here in 1996. Bertha which wasn't too bad, then Fran. Then more. I've lost count. But it is a nice place to live, otherwise.
I am almost prepared, at least as much as I can be. The big stuff is done. just some details to finish up tomorrow. I moved the plane to CPK yesterday. So it is safe. The boat...well...I'll let you know.
The Daughter is in Raleigh at school, so that's good. Most of the neighbors have left, but my Wife is a nurse and cannot leave.
I am lucky though. A lot of people will be without an income for a while.

Last edited:
I'm in SC. I try to fly most weekends... but I think I'm gonna sit this one out.

What's the situation? Has it hit yet, how hard? Which online news covers it well?
Last I heard on Mon was that it was hitting Thurs

Fran blew my roof off, sitting this one out way inland.

I moved here in 1996. Bertha which wasn't too bad, then Fran. Then more. I've lost count. But it is a nice place to live, otherwise.
I am almost prepared, at least as much as I can be. The big stuff is done. just some details to finish up tomorrow. I moved the plane to CPK yesterday. So it is safe. The boat...well...I'll let you know.
The Daughter is in Raleigh at school, so that's good. Most of the neighbors have left, but my Wife is a nurse and cannot leave.
I am lucky though. A lot of people will be without an income for a while.

Yikes. Good luck!

What's the situation? Has it hit yet, how hard? Which online news covers it well?

The local news for Wilmington will be http://www.wect.com/. They probably have the highest interest of everyone.

The nhc is a good source for information about the storm - like when and where it will hit. https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

I also use Mike's weather page at http://http://spaghettimodels.com/ Everything I want to see in a single place.

Fran blew my roof off, sitting this one out way inland.

:eek2:

An architect I was working with at the time, he and his wife woke up during the storm and went downstairs and then they heard a loud crash and the house shook. They ran back upstairs and saw a tree trunk lying across their bed.

I ended up having to take my two kids and leave Raleigh, drove 80 miles before I found a motel that had power and a vacancy. I was not at our house when it came through and could not make it back home. And anyway it had no power and no water. I made it to my parents', they had water but no power and no food and so could not care for me and the kids. My husband was provided for by the power company; he was working 12 hour shifts; I was on my own.

I remember the last hurricane we had here in New Mexico. Got almost an inch of rain....

Ok, it was remnants of a Pacific hurricane....

Spring winds can be up to hurricane force, and the wind drives the sand into places you really don't want sand......

With all the hot air escaping from the NC governors office, there is a distinct risk of the storm picking up energy while it moves across the state.

We are in the bulls eye. That being said, the 172 is safely tucked away in the hangar and should survive with no issues. The big problem for us the the agricultural loss from wind and flooding rain. The wrath of the storm will affect the farming breadbasket of the Carolinas with cotton, peanuts and corn at the greatest risk. We are heading into harvest season and the crops are at their most vulnerable stage. This will be ugly and expensive for us.

If that hits the Pamlico sound area, I feel sorry for all the boat owners.

Keeping everyone down there in my thoughts. The real danger from this one will probably be flooding rather than wind because the storm is blocked from moving much beyond the coast. Flooding is something Vermonters know well, especially after the remnants of Irene came through here in 2011. I wasn't here yet, but I've seen the scars south of here along the White River, and I understand part of the town I live in was underwater. But that was mild compared to what happened to Houston thanks to Harvey, and this could be comparably bad.

Stay safe, everyone.

Follow Jim Cantore on the Weather Channel. He’ll be the stud with tight T shirt showing off his biceps, standing in 20’ waves and torrential rain and wind.

416143B6-7C73-45A3-9581-D5DD1C1217A3.jpeg

We are in the bulls eye. That being said, the 172 is safely tucked away in the hangar and should survive with no issues. The big problem for us the the agricultural loss from wind and flooding rain. The wrath of the storm will affect the farming breadbasket of the Carolinas with cotton, peanuts and corn at the greatest risk. We are heading into harvest season and the crops are at their most vulnerable stage. This will be ugly and expensive for us.

Ouch. Unlike. Glad the plane is safe though.

They interviewed a lady on the news this morning. I hadn't had my first cup of coffee yet, so I don't recall exactly where, but she was only 2 blocks from the beach and in the mandatory evacuation area. The conversation was:

Are you leaving?

No!

Why?

It's all in God's hands.

:eek:

:confused:

o_O

:rolleyes:

I got gas at the Costco on Tyvola and I-77 yesterday (we were shopping there anyhow). There was moderate line but they had gas (in fact, the delivery truck was there while I was filling up). The line was bigger as I left.

I got gas at the Costco on Tyvola and I-77 yesterday (we were shopping there anyhow). There was moderate line but they had gas (in fact, the delivery truck was there while I was filling up). The line was bigger as I left.

Yeah, I was down to about a half tank yesterday in my Jeep so I stopped at the gas station a few blocks from the house after work. Drove straight to the pump and filled up. No line at all but the guy at another pump was filling up three 5 gallons cans. No panic here ... yet.

Back