Paint Touch Up Procedure?

keatre

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
keatre
Hey guys,

I know there's a few threads about this around, and based off some of that feedback I was going try and attack some of these small blemish areas with a scotchbrite pad and paint over them with the touch up kit. Luckily, the paint codes are listed in the logbook from when it was last repainted - so should be a close color match. However, do I need to put primer down on the spot before painting? How much of the area would you scratch off around it? Or would you just paint that spot in? The goal is to do it myself without having it look like a rattlecan job..

Here's a shot at the largest spot. Back side of the C182.

yGMYPE6.jpg

Those are pretty big touch-ups. The edge chips I see on a couple of panels would be simple to dab paint into but what you're asking to do? I'd seek a pro and repaint those panels to the seams. Especially if you have catalyzed paint.

first thing,, press on some good masking tape, pull it off and see how much paint comes with it.
no sense painting over paint that ain't stuck,

You really need to blend the edges or the spot will always show through. You can get little touch up aerosol guns.

I'd find a macro detail guy, that's a little big for a first job and without having some nice equipment and experience

Dave Wartofsky the somewhat odd manager of VKX used to be found out by his skymaster regularly with cans of green krylon touching up the paint job. I hear he finally got the thing professionally repainted.

As Tom has mentioned, stick some tape to it, and see if more paint comes off with the tape. If so, blow off what will blow off with compressed air, and about 120psi. Then feather edge the rest, a coat of white epoxy primer, scuff, and paint with color, and Bob's yer Uncle". :D

Back