KVCB- whats the frequency?

TheGolfPilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Golfpilot
I went to Vacaville yesterday and tuned into 122.7 . After my first call a guy gets on the radio and says nut tree is 123.05.
Now when I look for a frequency I look on the sectional or use the one on my gtn. Since my GTN is two months out of date, I don't really trust it so I got 122.7 right off of the sectional.
So I asked the guy, where are you getting that from? responds "foreflight" another guy pops up on the radio saying "yep its 123.05" Nobody else was flying at the time in vacaville so I monitored both and landed. Didn't find anything around the airport saying the frequency changed.
Am I the sole moron
Or am I only a moron for listening to morons?
Either way those guys mind $#%@ed me

Maybe some kids figured out a way to get foreflight to change frequencies and they are sitting around with a handheld messing with people...?

I went to Vacaville yesterday and tuned into 122.7 . After my first call a guy gets on the radio and says nut tree is 123.05.
Now when I look for a frequency I look on the sectional or use the one on my gtn. Since my GTN is two months out of date, I don't really trust it so I got 122.7 right off of the sectional.
So I asked the guy, where are you getting that from? responds "foreflight" another guy pops up on the radio saying "yep its 123.05" Nobody else was flying at the time in vacaville so I monitored both and landed. Didn't find anything around the airport saying the frequency changed.
Am I the sole moron
Or am I only a moron for listening to morons?
Either way those guys mind $#%@ed me

Maybe some kids figured out a way to get foreflight to change frequencies and they are sitting around with a handheld messing with people...?

It's NOTAM'd. 16AUG

https://www.airnav.com/airport/KVCB

Airnav lists 123.05 as well.

Any time there is a CTAF/UNICOM change there is always confusion as the charting cycles and updates can sometimes get staggered. And there will always be guys that just don't bother looking and continue to use the old for months.

Takes awhile to make it to the charts,after a change.

https://www.airnav.com/airport/KVCB

Airnav lists 123.05 as well.

Any time there is a CTAF/UNICOM change there is always confusion as the charting cycles and updates can sometimes get staggered. And there will always be guys that just don't bother looking and continue to use the old for months.

Well in this case it was me not bothering to look at the NOTAMs. I have the most updated sectional. Sort of needed around here right now since they just made major changes to the Class B. You would think a change like that would get a little mention at the end of the ASOS but at the end of the day I should have checked the NOTAMs. I'd be willing to bet I won't be the only person to do that until it gets changed on the sectional.

We decided to go to that airport halfway back because it had cheaper gas. It would have taken a call to flight services to figure out that notam was there. Who calls flight services for diversion airport notams?

Last edited:
thanks, I was the sole moron

I'll bet you far from the only one who done it. Thing is doesn't look like it should have happened. The effective date on the Sectional is 16AUG. Looks like someone caught it the day before and cut the NOTAM

Well in this case it was me not bothering to look at the NOTAMs. I have the most updated sectional. Sort of needed around here right now since they just made major changes to the Class B. You would think a change like that would get a little mention at the end of the ASOS but at the end of the day I should have checked the NOTAMs. I'd be willing to bet I won't be the only person to do that until it gets changed on the sectional.

I've pointed this out before, but a ASOS/AWOS is not an ATIS. It is an automated weather reporting system, but only some have the ability to add additional information such as NOTAMs. ASOS's are usually owned by the National Weather Service. The airport has no functional control over it, and has no ability to add messages.

We decided to go to that airport halfway back because it had cheaper gas. It would have taken a call to flight services to figure out that notam was there. Who calls flight services for diversion airport notams?

The "most updated sectional" can still be almost six months old. The Chart Supplement has a section on changes to sectional charts, and it is updated far more frequently than every six months (56 days pops up in my mind).

Bob

The "most updated sectional" can still be almost six months old. The Chart Supplement has a section on changes to sectional charts, and it is updated far more frequently than every six months (56 days pops up in my mind).

Bob

This one got caught in between. Next issue is due 14SEP. NOTAM was the only to catch this one

I always read the comments section of ForeFlight before I fly into an airport and I saw someone mention it on there as well. Try also said to monitor the old frequency as lots of people didn’t know about the switch.
a3c34a961cc72b48bb654c073980bfaf.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I can tell you getting things changed is a royal pain. It took several chart cycles to get HEF and SBY colored blue after they got their towers.

Here's how it goes. You call the Airport District Office (in our case Atlanta). You make the change. They tell you that you have just missed the cycle. It will now be two 112 weeks before you get your information in both the printed Chart Supplement (formerly known as the Airport/Facilities Directory) and the online information they disseminate (why the digital dissemination is tied to the print cycle I have never understood).

You do know that the Chart Supplement (formerly AFD) book has the mid-cycle updates for your sectional?
Then as pointed out there may be NOTAMS (which have their own about of stupid brokeness).

For those who slept through the change, the A/FD still exists....but now it is just part of the Chart Supplement.

Bob

You do know that the Chart Supplement (formerly AFD) book has the mid-cycle updates for your sectional?....
I'm guessing that there's a way to access that part of the Chart Supplement in Foreflight, but I haven't figured out how yet. (Of course in this case, the information is on the Foreflight page for the airport.)

It’s still on the AFD tab on the airports page.
1d0221bcee54eb6955dc62ca2797350b.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'm guessing that there's a way to access that part of the Chart Supplement in Foreflight, but I haven't figured out how yet. (Of course in this case, the information is on the Foreflight page for the airport.)
Click where it says Documents, it's between plates and imagery. Upper right corner, Catalog. FAA in the dropdown. Chart supplements and all kinds of other FAA publications are there. Once you've got them, Foreflight will give you updates when they change.

It happens...heck, I even had Approach give me an old tower frequency once on an IFR flight that I knew was wrong.

For those who slept through the change, the A/FD still exists....but now it is just part of the Chart Supplement.

Bob

Yup. They both have. Chart Supplement used to be a chapter in the AF/D, now the AF/D is a chapter in CS. Guess this was there way to encourage folk to read the Chart Supplements.

More mindless conformance to international nomenclature. The FAA official page while retitled CHART SUPPLEMENT still refers to "AF/D Volumes"

You're wrong about the nomenclature. The update to the sectionals in the books were before and are now called "Chart Bulletins."

More mindless conformance to international nomenclature. The FAA official page while retitled CHART SUPPLEMENT still refers to "AF/D Volumes"

You're wrong about the nomenclature. The update to the sectionals in the books were before and are now called "Chart Bulletins."

Ah, bulletins. Seems to me I remember the 'Green Book' coming out every six months. Did that change to the 56 day cycle when the nomenclature changed? Or am I just remembering wrong?

EDIT: coming back to me now. The 'green book' was called the VFR Supplement and came out every 6 months. The white book was the IFR Supplement, every 56 days. I think. Maybe

Last edited:
Click where it says Documents, it's between plates and imagery. Upper right corner, Catalog. FAA in the dropdown. Chart supplements and all kinds of other FAA publications are there. Once you've got them, Foreflight will give you updates when they change.
Thanks. That worked on my iPad, but I still haven't found it on my iPhone.

Thanks. That worked on my iPad, but I still haven't found it on my iPhone.

I don't think it's there for phones. Didn't notice that myself until after I made that post. Most of those documents would be pretty tedious to read on a phone so I figure they just said to ell with it

Back