Panel upgrades for my C182

Katamarino

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Katamarino

I've owned the airplane for a little over 6 months, and flown it coming up on 200 hours. So far, the work I have done to the panel includes:
  • Added Garmin G5 AI
  • Upgraded JPI 730 to 830, adding MP, RPM, OIl P, Oil T, OAT.
  • Installed dual USB charger
  • Installed gauges for new tip tanks
I'm contemplating a few more upgrades ready for a long term around-the-world flight spanning 2019 - 2021.

- G5 HSI. That's decided, it's a done deal.

- Mode S. My options are to upgrade my GTX330 to an ES, or go to a GTX345. I currently have a GDL39 for ADS-B in but it's not very reliable and it would be nice to get rid of it.

- GPS. I'd like to get rid of the 496, and I like the idea of an Aera 660. I'm debating swapping a 660 in where the 496 is; or do I put the Aera 550 into the panel, and use the 660 on the yoke? Another option is just to put the 550 into the panel and have the yoke free, not getting a 660; I have GP on the tablet so is a 660 really worth it?

- Fuel gauges; my right main gauge is fine on start-up but then pegs to max full for the rest of the flight. If it's the sender, would people suggest just repairing it, or going to the CIES senders?

Would be interested in any other thoughts people have about the panel! My ideas about a GTN750 have gone away as I don't think it would add any real functionality to what I have.

Looks good. IF you are looking at good but not super expensive push that 430 down and put in a 530 (more real estate for us to see things). Go with the GTX345, you will be happy you did. When our 830 had a gremlin (pinched wire) it was like we had lost a friend. As far as fuel, our JPI has been spot on, at most 1 gal off after 60 used, I can't remember the last time I looked at the analog gauges.

Attachments

• IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 48
Like what you guys have done! Looking at doing the same project on this fall on a RG, leaning towards the GTN 750, and always interested in other options.

Had hoped to include a GFC 500. :mad: Since that’s not happening anytime soon, what could/should be done behind the panel now to simplify a future AP upgrade, be it Garmin or other?

I was very impressed with your plane when I saw it in Juneau this summer. As far as the fuel gauge, I think I would repair/replace what you have and install an engine monitor that includes fuel flow. A friend installed a JPI 830 in his C-180 and is very happy with it.

On a side note did you ever get to use the rain gear you bought in Juneau?

If you ever get back to Juneau, Tami and I would enjoy having you over to grill out, drink a few beers, and swap stories... Have a good one Ross..

I was very impressed with your plane when I saw it in Juneau this summer. As far as the fuel gauge, I think I would repair/replace what you have and install an engine monitor that includes fuel flow. A friend installed a JPI 830 in his C-180 and is very happy with it.

On a side note did you ever get to use the rain gear you bought in Juneau?

If you ever get back to Juneau, Tami and I would enjoy having you over to grill out, drink a few beers, and swap stories... Have a good one Ross..

I have a JPI830 with fuel flow, so that's covered. I'll probably just repair the existing fuel setup, then!

I have indeed used the rain gear, many many times through the rest of Alaska and Canada! Would love to come round for longer next time I make it up there. Safe flights, Bill!

It will often simply not pick up any weather. On my recent 800nm+ flight from Winnipeg to Pittsburgh at 9,500', it claimed that it didn't pick up a single tower (or any traffic, in fact) the whole way, for example. I restarted it a few times, same issue. When querying it through Garmin Pilot it claimed to be running fine.

Get the GTX-345 transponder, it's the gold standard for ADS-B in/out. Also rarely known option... GTX-345 has an OAT input and the unit will display density altitude instead of just pressure altitude. Awesome cheap upgrade.

VERY important. Consider certified ADS-B In. Only certified FIS-B (weather & traffic) can be displayed on certified devices like 430W, GNS650/750. Plus non-certified AHRS to drive EFB products like ForeFlight's synthetic vision.

Last edited:
Are you equipped with ADS-B out?

Not yet, that's one of the upgrades in my list here; but that should not be needed to receive ADS-B weather (and it worked for a few years before, started failing recently).

I would send out some instruments for overhaul, The panel is in good shape but the ASI and VSI look awful.

Dad's 182 ASI was hard to read at night so I sent it with the other two pressure instruments and had them overhauled. I think it was about $700 for all (ASI, VSI Altimeter)

Last edited:
So, I'm leaning towards:

G5 HSI, remove vacuum system
GTX-345
Move Aera 550 into panel, get rid of 496
Potentially overhaul VSI and ASI

These guys are terrific and lowest cost around. For a small additional fee they will reprint the gauge face. Highly recommended.

http://www.flyaqi.com

VSI is $175 and ASI is $145

My ASI returned from AQI:
IMG_5438_zps5apzucs8.jpg

Last edited:
Get the GTX-345 transponder, it's the gold standard for ADS-B in/out. Also rarely known option... GTX-345 has an OAT input and the unit will display density altitude instead of just pressure altitude. Awesome cheap upgrade.

VERY important. Consider certified ADS-B In. Only certified FIS-B (weather & traffic) can be displayed on certified devices like 430W, GNS650/750. Plus non-certified AHRS to drive EFB products like ForeFlight's synthetic vision.

There isn't such a thing as "certified ADS-B in" but there are differences in the data format that could matter for display.

For the OP, also look at the Lynx NGT-9000. Very nice unit that has a few more bells than the 345.

On the fuel gauge, sounds like a short somewhere to ground. Likely not the sender, IMO.

Last edited:
get rid of the 830, and get a 930. Then you can cut out all your factory engine gauges

For the OP, also look at the Lynx 9000. Very nice unit that has a few more bells than the 345.

Lynx 9000 is another excellent unit. It does not have an internal AHRS, but does have a nice EFIS. A panel mounted AHRS is nice to have to drive synthetic vision in a portable device.

Last edited:
There isn't such a thing as "certified ADS-B in" but there are differences in the data format that could matter for display. .

What I meant by "Certified ADS-B In" is the FIS-B data coming from an Certified receiver verses an uncertified receiver like a Stratus 2 or 3. Other certified devices like any panel mounted EFIS's or GPS units will only accept ADS-B In data for display or processing from another certified device. The FAA won't allow data from a Stratus 2 or 3 or other uncertified device to cross over the certification boundary.

There are are some exceptions allowed by the FAA. One example is flight plans created in EFB's like Foreflight can be passed to a certified GPS if the data is confirmed by the PIC on an individual instance.

Last edited:
Dad just pulled the trigger on the CGR-30P, the thing is sitting on my coffee table. I want to put it in the top hole but its his airplane and he wants it there. He was also kicking around the idea of putting in a stand alone G5 on the copilot side, which could be really cool hooked to a Aera 660.

(This airplane is already insanely equipped for what he does with it lol!)
upload_2018-9-10_14-11-23.png
upload_2018-9-10_14-6-59.png

Last edited:
What I meant by "Certified ADS-B In" is the FIS-B data coming from an Certified receiver verses an uncertified receiver like a Stratus 2 or 3. Other certified devices like any panel mounted EFIS's or GPS units will only accept ADS-B In data for display or processing from another certified device. The FAA won't allow data from a Stratus 2 or 3 or other uncertified device to cross over the certification boundary.

There are are some exceptions allowed by the FAA. One example is flight plans created in EFB's like Foreflight can be passed to a certified GPS if the data is conformed by the PIC on an individual instance.
Thanks for the explanation. I wondered why the Appero Stratus combo could not display ADSB-in on a panel mount vs the Garmin or lynx units. That explains it.

I’d just ditch the portable GPS, between the GNS and everything else I don’t see what you need it for.

Also do you have GPSS?

I’d just ditch the portable GPS, between the GNS and everything else I don’t see what you need it for.

Right on! A decent panel GPS (430W, IFD-440, G650, etc) and an iPad on the lap or yoke. I can never figure out why some pilots have a panel GPS and 2, 3, even 4 portable devices set-up in the cockpit. Not trying to disparate anyone who does. I just don't get al the redundant content and cockpit clutter.

Next 3 posted are from pilots with why having 3-4 devices at once has saved the lives of several widows and orphans.

I do have GPSS, yes. I love it!

I find the Aera 550 is my go-to for looking up info such as frequencies, weather and the like. It's quicker and needs fewer presses than getting the info off the tablet in Garmin Pilot; it's also much, much easier to use accurately if there are any bumps around. 2 portables is excessive though, hence my thinking about getting rid of the 496. I don't do anything with it.

I looked at the Lynx but it seemed to offer functions I wouldn't use (i.e. I already have them on the tablet or GPS), and no AHRS. Also more expensive, and doesn't how Garmin Pilot as supported.

get rid of the 830, and get a 930. Then you can cut out all your factory engine gauges

Looked at that, but it's very pricey! I would not be able to re-use any of the existing probes from the 830.

I do have GPSS, yes. I love it!

I find the Aera 550 is my go-to for looking up info such as frequencies, weather and the like. It's quicker and needs fewer presses than getting the info off the tablet in Garmin Pilot; it's also much, much easier to use accurately if there are any bumps around. 2 portables is excessive though, hence my thinking about getting rid of the 496. I don't do anything with it.

I looked at the Lynx but it seemed to offer functions I wouldn't use (i.e. I already have them on the tablet or GPS), and no AHRS. Also more expensive, and doesn't how Garmin Pilot as supported.
Unless I'm mistaken, the 660 can be linked via Flightstream to the GNS430W and GTX-345 but the 550 and 496 cannot. And I believe linking the 345 will allow it to output backup attitude.

Hmm. Do you know if the 550 can be hardwired to receive ADS-B in from the 345? Right now it gets hardwired ADS-B in from a GDL39.

Hmm. Do you know if the 550 can be hardwired to receive ADS-B in from the 345? Right now it gets hardwired ADS-B in from a GDL39.
Not certain, but I think the 550 only talks to a GTX330.

The Lynx NGT9000 is now on sale with all the extra doodads, including ATAS, and wifi broadcast to your tablet EFB. It provides a redundant GPS source, unlike the GTX345 transponder, and also has its own high-resolution color screen to display FIS-B radar, traffic, METARs, TAFs, winds aloft, etc. It was a tough choice for me, but I eventually went with the NGT9000. Hope to get it back soon from the install and fly with it.

The Lynx NGT9000 is now on sale with all the extra doodads, including ATAS, and wifi broadcast to your tablet EFB. It provides a redundant GPS source, unlike the GTX345 transponder, and also has its own high-resolution color screen to display FIS-B radar, traffic, METARs, TAFs, winds aloft, etc. It was a tough choice for me, but I eventually went with the NGT9000. Hope to get it back soon from the install and fly with it.

The Lynx 9000 is a pretty sweet unit. Most of the guys I know who have bought them were for older Cessna's with very cramped panel space. The 9000 was the only glass in the plane. Some of the older planes have no practical room for an iPad. For me, getting FIS-B traffic and weather are a big positive for ADS-B. Nice to see this data on the panel.

Seem like people buy the 9000 because of the glass and others buy the GTX-345 because of the Garmin stack integration or the AHRS for ForeFlight, etc.

Both are fantastic. Really glad to see Lynx has dropped prices on the 9000, as it used to cost more.

For the OP, also look at the Lynx 9000. Very nice unit that has a few more bells than the 345.

Be sure you know what you're getting into, though. If you have a Garmin GPS in the panel, it will not display weather from the Lynx 9000, only traffic. :(

If you have something other than Garmin, carry on. I do like the Lynx, but we went with the 345 because we wanted both traffic and weather on the GTN, and because we physically don't have space in the main radio stack for the transponder, so the glassy goodness of the Lynx wouldn't be nearly as useful over in the right-hand stack.

Be sure you know what you're getting into, though. If you have a Garmin GPS in the panel, it will not display weather from the Lynx 9000, only traffic. :(

If you have something other than Garmin, carry on. I do like the Lynx, but we went with the 345 because we wanted both traffic and weather on the GTN, and because we physically don't have space in the main radio stack for the transponder, so the glassy goodness of the Lynx wouldn't be nearly as useful over in the right-hand stack.

That's surprising, as it's a standard data feed. Did you check with L3? What did they say?

It is my understanding, too, that only traffic, not wx can be displayed on a GNS430W from the NGT9000. On the other hand, the NGT9000 can display weather on it's own screen, as well as on your EFB via wifi link. Also, be aware that the GNS430W can only display a limited number of traffic targets from and ADS-B device. The NGT9000 screen does not have such limitations.

Your correct that the 430W can only display the 8 closest traffic targets. Generally for my 130 kts cruise that's sufficient, even in busy Bay Area airspace. I do have the iPad connected as well to for more detail. I typically use the 430W FIS-B data, terrain & obstacle warning as an alert and research more fully on the iPad.

I really wish the Lynx 9000 has an AHRS. I would have bought it. The synthetic vision on Foreflight was more of a priority. If I had a small panel 182, I would have gone for the 9000 to get the glass display.

Thanks for the explanation. I wondered why the Appero Stratus combo could not display ADSB-in on a panel mount vs the Garmin or lynx units. That explains it.

I'd be interested in seeing where the FAA cares about ADS-B in between devices, since they do not regulate it. I think it is more of device MFG limitation; they want you to buy their stuff to make it work.

I'd be interested in seeing where the FAA cares about ADS-B in between devices, since they do not regulate it. I think it is more of device MFG limitation; they want you to buy their stuff to make it work.
But there are units other than Garmin that can display ADS-B data on the Garmin navigator - at least traffic. If I read that post correctly they are not letting non certified hardware (Stratus) display any data on a certified navigator. I am now curious about Appareo’s decision to use the non-certified Stratus for ADS-B in.

But there are units other than Garmin that can display ADS-B data on the Garmin navigator - at least traffic. If I read that post correctly they are not letting non certified hardware (Stratus) display any data on a certified navigator. I am now curious about Appareo’s decision to use the non-certified Stratus for ADS-B in.

I think in Appareo's case, they're figuring that someone using their solution is going the "economical" way and probably not installing an expensive panel navigator, but still wants the safety-enhancing information provided by ADS-B In and will display it on a portable device.

I think in the FAA's case, you won't find it explicitly documented as such, but the FAA really doesn't like anything from non-certified equipment going to certified equipment. That's why, regardless of whose equipment you're using, you can't change a flight plan on your iPad and have it automatically reflected on your panel-mount GPS, there is ALWAYS a step where you have to review and accept the new plan on the panel.

What extra fuel did the tip tanks get ya? Our club 182 has 86 useful. Will outfly my bladder any day of the week!!!

Back