Degreaser (caution, WAY in the #e!! OT)

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
Yes, I can degrease an engine/belly with the best of them, but not on something I'm going to eat from.

My old smoker is 10 years old and has food grease CRUSTED onto it. Other than burning it off with a torch, does anybody know of a food grade degreaser that will take off ten years of inside/outside accumulated grease mixed with some dirt on the outside surfaces?

Other than buying a new smoker (I really like this one) any other suggestions?

The torch may be the court of last resort.

Thanks,

Jim

If you can get pieces into your oven, do so and set the oven to "clean". After the cleaning burn the rust should come right off with stiff brush. You should probably season it moving forward so it doesn't rust again.

If you can get pieces into your oven, do so and set the oven to "clean". After the cleaning burn the rust should come right off with stiff brush. You should probably season it moving forward so it doesn't rust again.
Yikes! I hope your oven is outside, because your house will reek if you do that! :eek:

Oh, and I should mention that the best degreaser on earth is heat. You should be able to crank up the grill or smoker and get it so hot that the grease is burned off and becomes thatch more seasoning.

Oh, and I should mention that the best degreaser on earth is heat. You should be able to crank up the grill or smoker and get it so hot that the grease is burned off and becomes thatch more seasoning.
Did I mention that the only reason I'm doing this is that the burner section on the smoker has crumbled into rustdust and I'm going to have to craft a redneck burner out of iron pipe and fittings? And the only reason I'm taking the grease off is to keep it from getting all over the garage during the process?

:cheerswine:

Jim

Easy Off Heavy Duty. Get the smoker warm on 1st application. Doesn't matter on 2nd app. Whatever left, torch and scraper.

^^^ This. Can speed up removal with a pressure washer, too, if you've got one.

Pressure washer?

If/when you need a new smoker, check out the Smokin' Tex. I've had mine for 10+ years. Easy to use and doesn't consume much electricity or wood. Line the bottom with foil before each use and cleanup is a cinch.

I ran the self clean function on my 18 month old Kenmore Elite oven a couple months ago. Afterward, had to order various parts to determine what failed. Turned out to be the over-temp relay (one without a reset button). I'll be insulating the thing before running the cleaning cycle again. Seems to be a common problem.

Ammonia works well. EZ Off oven cleaner. Citrus-based degreasers like Oil Eater.

Pressure washer?

If/when you need a new smoker, check out the Smokin' Tex. I've had mine for 10+ years. Easy to use and doesn't consume much electricity or wood. Line the bottom with foil before each use and cleanup is a cinch.

I ran the self clean function on my 18 month old Kenmore Elite oven a couple months ago. Afterward, had to order various parts to determine what failed. Turned out to be the over-temp relay (one without a reset button). I'll be insulating the thing before running the cleaning cycle again. Seems to be a common problem.
Never had a bit of trouble with mine, 20 years of service, and had to replace a bad door hinge about 5 years ago. Best oven I've had. ;)

Pressure washer. Gets all the loose bits off, keeps some of the seasoning/conditioning.

Put all the dirty pieces in garbage bag and add a cup or two of ammonia. Seal the bag and let it sit overnight. Next morning, hose it off. You might have to use a brush on the worst spots, but it softens the crusty bits nicely.

I clean my barbecue grates this way all the time.

Goop hand cleaner should work and is cheap. Home Depot carries it. It will also clean the belly of your plane including cleaning the brake fluid which is really hard to get off.

Goop hand cleaner should work and is cheap. Home Depot carries it. It will also clean the belly of your plane including cleaning the brake fluid which is really hard to get off.

And should I ask why there is brake fluid collecting on the belly?

Back