NA/ I donated... thoughts others might as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarheelpilot

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tarheelpilot
I am hoping this post does not go down the spin zone rabbit hole ...

Regardless of any particular political or social policy position I think it could generally agreed upon that gun laws in this country are confusing and somewhat contradictory at times.

I am linking an article about a young woman that is facing some legal troubles in regards to this issue.

If you’re curious, read the article.
If you’re furious, donate to her legal fund

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/09/krissy-noble-self-defense-miscarriage-justice/

IBTL but yeah. So wrong.

Predict judge will throw the case out within minutes of its court opening.

I am a 2A supporter, but that said, we don't know the whole story here. The woman was charged with possession, and yes, we don't know who the stuff belonged to, but the simple fact that she chose to associate and ride with folks doing those things shows less than stellar judgement. How many other brushes with the law has she had? Unknown. I would suspect that if she has had other incidents, the prosecutor would be more likely to charge and make the gun possession stick.

I just don't know enough to come to a conclusion. I do think it is sad that she may pay a price for defending herself, though.

Reactions: Ted
I am a 2A supporter, but that said, we don't know the whole story here. The woman was charged with possession, and yes, we don't know who the stuff belonged to, but the simple fact that she chose to associate and ride with folks doing those things shows less than stellar judgement. How many other brushes with the law has she had? Unknown. I would suspect that if she has had other incidents, the prosecutor would be more likely to charge and make the gun possession stick.

I just don't know enough to come to a conclusion. I do think it is sad that she may pay a price for defending herself, though.

That’s a pretty hardline stance. Dollars to donuts says that you have associated with someone, more than once, who was in possession of an illegal substance or weapons. Just because you didn’t know doesn’t mean she knew. How many “brushes with the law” have you or your associates had, ever? Glass houses, stones, getting stoned in a glass house, whatever.

I will try to walk the fine line for this venue in my response.
I think its a really poor policy to discriminate in punishment today based solely on who she was friends with in the past. I am a very conservative individual. I have never used any illegal drug nor have I used any legal drugs contrary to the directions of a prescribing doctor. That said I have many friends that use pot. I'm sure I have been in a vehicle at some point in my life that had weed in the car. Just because she was in the car doesn't mean she was the owner or user. It is often the case but not always. Guilt by association is not aligned with how our system is supposed to work. It is supposed to be beyond a reasonable doubt. Charging everyone in the car and they all get convicted is BS.

Then to later in life charge her with felony possession of a firearm for possessing said firearm in the course of a justified homicide is beyond unethical.

That’s a pretty hardline stance. Dollars to donuts says that you have associated with someone, more than once, who was in possession of an illegal substance or weapons. Just because you didn’t know doesn’t mean she knew. How many “brushes with the law” have you or your associates had, ever? Glass houses, stones, getting stoned in a glass house, whatever.

I'm just stating we know one side of the story, not the other. That is all.

Just because she was in the car doesn't mean she was the owner or user. It is often the case but not always. Guilt by association is not aligned with how our system is supposed to work. It is supposed to be beyond a reasonable doubt. Charging everyone in the car and they all get convicted is BS.

It is BS, but evidently under present law a judge thought it a reasonable thing to do. All we have is law. If we don't like the laws, then we must urge our representatives to change or remove the bad laws.

Agreed, and the law is the law without room for interpretation, right? Oh, wait- it’s entirely based on interpretation in the judiciary branch. ;)

It is based on interpretation, the judge may well throw this one out. It's probably a situation that the authors of the bill never thought about, a felon rightfully using a weapon for defense.

Unfortunately, there is a very loud call from certain quarters for an elevation of state's rights. This is what you get, different and often contradictory laws from state to state.

The MC has opted to close this thread, it will not be reopened.

While the original post and the article referenced did contain subject matter that could be polarizing in nature, the article and post were not inherently political. For this reason, we opted to keep the thread open and would have left it open indefinitely if the conversation stayed non-political and civil, which it was to start.

Unfortunately it didn't take long before someone decided to turn it political. Once that happens, history has shown threads go downhill and turn into political bickering quickly. For this reason, we have opted to close the thread.

The policy against political discourse on PoA isn't new and it isn't a secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back